StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well despite my best intentions looks like the farklings started :biggrinjester::hurray:
well a bit off wet weather yesterday meant no painting, so I spent the day in the shed, finally getting a chance to start "Operation Strom"

First up was to do something with the rear fender extension, almost enough plastic in the thing to make a small Korean car

So out came the dremal, and with a few bits and piece I had on hand I ended up with this

you may have noticed that this covers access to the seat lock :banghead:
after throwing a few ideas around I came across this idea on another site

just as I got this job finished a package arrived, so nothing for it, have to see what inside and if it fits :unsure:

first part of the protection gear - engine guards

should do the job nicely

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
well thursday is shopping day in our house, so after dropping SWMBO as the local shopping complex it was off to get some new bars.
The stock bars although reasonable for road use, have waaaay to much sweep and about 30mm to low to be comfortable offroad.

I was originally going to go for Pro Taper SE ATV high bars, but they have a cross brace and I have read stories of guys having trouble fitting barkbusters, so went with the contours.

Standard bars are 101 high, 762 wide, 165 sweep

Pro Taper SE ATV High are 160 high, 813 wide, 100 sweep

Pro Taper SE ATV Mid are 150 high, 813 wide, 76 sweep

Pro Taper Contour - Pastrama FMX are 121 high, 775 wide, 55 sweep

the stock set up

Ended up going for a set of Pro Taper Contour bars with Pastrama FMX bend and to get them to fit the 7/8ths stock clamps a pairs of RHK billet adaptors.

the new cockpit

now to decide on which hand guards ??

·
Registered
567 Posts
:hurray: Great stuff , keep it coming:hurray:

I did these type of photo/explanation posts when I was farkling my bike as I ejoyed others posts doing the same, dont hesitate to do some stage by stage shots along the way.

Now the ex cop in me has to let you know that if you give Mr Plod an excuse to stop you, you could be in trouble with your rear gaurd:yikes:

You no longer have a light for your number plate and the gaurd needs to extend to a 45 degree angle from the axle...having said that most garden variety coppers wouldnt notice, know or even care, but highway patrol guys like I was (who are a dying breed now that cameras seem to be a cheaper option) may pick it up.:fineprint:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:hurray: Great stuff , keep it coming:hurray:

Now the ex cop in me has to let you know that if you give Mr Plod an excuse to stop you, you could be in trouble with your rear gaurd:yikes:

You no longer have a light for your number plate and the gaurd needs to extend to a 45 degree angle from the axle...having said that most garden variety coppers wouldnt notice, know or even care, but highway patrol guys like I was (who are a dying breed now that cameras seem to be a cheaper option) may pick it up.:fineprint:
pilbaralad, if you have a look in the 3rd pic you can see my LED number light, which I have attached to the bottom of the No. plate.

as for the rear guard, thought it may have been a bit short after I'd cut it and have since considered adding a small rubber flap, but more likely I'll just see how it goes. :green_lol:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody home when I got up this morning (shiftworker) so of to the shed to install the bash plate that had arrived Friday courtesy of flea-bay :happy1:

the rear mounts where pretty straight forward (sorry no pics), but I wasn't overly impressed with the front mounting arrangement, which uses the header pipe clamp bolts. a solid knock could see a cracked or worse cylinder head yikes
the standard design

so a bit of lateral thinking, a spare set of Bark buster clamps and some light fabrication and a solution was sorted.
right side

left side

you tend to loose a bit of clearance with the B & B Bash plate, but the thing is a solid as a tank (5mm alum. plate) and should support the bikes weight when necessary.

·
Registered
567 Posts
if you have a look in the 3rd pic you can see my LED number light attached to the bottom of the No. plate.
:thumbup: Good work

as for the rear guard,.... have since considered adding a small rubber flap, but more likely I'll just see how it goes.
Probably be my plan too, if you do get pulled on for it just act kinda doubfounded:confused:... will be interesting to see what sort of roostertail you put up in wet weather:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
but I wasn't overly impressed with the front mounting arrangement, which uses the header pipe clamp bolts. a solid knock could see a cracked or worse cylinder head

That's the thing that has always worried me me about the B+B plates but to sate nobody has reported any issues in the 18 months or so that they have been available.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Nobody home when I got up this morning (shiftworker) so of to the shed to install the bash plate that had arrived Friday courtesy of flea-bay :happy1:

the rear mounts where pretty straight forward (sorry no pics), but I wasn't overly impressed with the front mounting arrangement, which uses the header pipe clamp bolts. a solid knock could see a cracked or worse cylinder head yikes
the standard design

so a bit of lateral thinking, a spare set of Bark buster clamps and some light fabrication and a solution was sorted.
right side

left side

you tend to loose a bit of clearance with the B & B Bash plate, but the thing is a solid as a tank (5mm alum. plate) and should support the bikes weight when necessary.
Great pics Mudrat,
I thought the same myself about the exhaust clamp bolts for the B&B when I fitted mine. You have certainly overcome that problem and looks like a pro job.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well despite my best intentions looks like the farklings started :biggrinjester::hurray:
well a bit off wet weather yesterday meant no painting, so I spent the day in the shed, finally getting a chance to start "Operation Strom"

So out came the dremal, and with a few bits and piece I had on hand I ended up with this

you may have noticed that this covers access to the seat lock :banghead:
after throwing a few ideas around I came across this idea on another site
I like the look, but what is going to stop all the mud and shit being flung over the back of you?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like the look, but what is going to stop all the mud and shit being flung over the back of you?

The pillion of course
silly me since I ride solo most of the time:mrgreen:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another piece of protection hardware arrived on Thursday, which is pretty impressive considering they where only ordered on line on Tuesday :thumbup:
of the myriad of Radiator guards available I ended going for the Radguard jobbies seemed to offer adequate protection at a reasonable cost.

fitting was as easy as it gets and I must say I'm more than happy with the fitt and built quality

·
Registered
99 Posts
A radiator guard is the very first 'extra' that I've bought for my last 3 bikes and I reckon I would be a bit nervous about riding without one, especially if I'm travelling alone out in the boonies.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after my little test loop at the weekend it was evident I need to tweak the handlebars height/setback, as I found I was locking my arms when seated and still felt a little stooped when standing.
Not being exactly certain how much lift I need or the amount of setback, I was reluctant to lash out and buy bar risers, so decide I'd have ago at making my own. I think about 25mm lift and 25mm setback would be getting close to the mark.

the trick now create something out of this

a bit of tool time

and I ended up with these

a little agricultural ? probably, but until I get the right position sorted will do the job and only cost me my time.

think its time for another test ride

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've taken my B&B bash plate off until I next plan to go off road. Too much engine noise reflection for city/road riding for my liking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've taken my B&B bash plate off until I next plan to go off road. Too much engine noise reflection for city/road riding for my liking.
This is a pretty common report with dirt bikes.

B&B have a piece of acoustic foam that they sell that will reduce the tinny reflected sound. It is called 'Moto Foam', measures 300mm x 250mm and is $15. Any B&B dealer can order it in for you

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the last two bits of gear (for awhile) arrived today.
A pair of Barkbusters to complete the cockpit and offer some wind/rain and crash protection. Decided on the "Storm" so ordered a S4 Storm kit and a BSC-02 mount kit to suit my bars, after paying email tag with Mathew from Rideworx for a few days it was decided this was the best option.
as you guy are aware Stroms have been known to give a few problems when fitting Barkbusters and I was lucky I had a spare B54 (dogleg piece) on hand even then it required a little bit of grinding

once that was sorted everything was pretty straight forward and it was just a matter of getting everything in the right position

with the custom bar risers fitted the guards just clear the fairing

pretty happy how its turned out and should do the job nicely

more than impressed with the time and effort that was shown from Mathew at Rideworx, the guy certainly knows his stuff :thumbup:

as for the other package that will have to wait till tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts