StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to do a beer run today. The shortest route is about 7 km, but there's a nice 100 km loop that ends up at the same place, so I took that instead. :mrgreen:

It was cold and crisp, a mix of sun and cloud, and it was a beautiful ride, but it could be the last one of the season. :mod_sad:

I didn't see one single bike on my 100 km detour, just a couple of hunters on ATVs.

I hate having to start thinking about putting the bike away for the winter... :thumbdown:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mine has been in bed for almost a month now. If I wanted to get out of my community I would have to ride on sidewalks (road is snow and ice).

Spring can't come soon enough ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Had to do a beer run today. The shortest route is about 7 km, but there's a nice 100 km loop that ends up at the same place, so I took that instead. :mrgreen:

It was cold and crisp, a mix of sun and cloud, and it was a beautiful ride, but it could be the last one of the season. :mod_sad:
Yeah, I went out today too. I just had to. Same cold, crisp, sun and cloud. I rode about 200 Kms around Lindsay, Bobcaygeon, and Peterborough. I ran down secondary roads as much as possible. New ground today was running down 37 and 16 from Buckhorn and a run down the dead-end along the Curve Lake First Nations peninsula; where I and two young kids (with their mom) had a wave-fest as I rode by, twice (the kids started it!). Another teenager on a bicycle looked astonished when I waved at him, then pleased as could be. Big grin. You gotta love that stuff.

I saw maybe eight motorcycles today, about a tenth of what I saw last Sunday on a similar ride. One sport bike at the Bobcaygeon Timmies with an under-dressed guy and girl (well, to my eyes. I was layered and plugged in), another leading a VStrom on a nice stretch of road, and four or five cruisers.

It'll soon be time to do the last oil change of the year and put it away. Not happy about that!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Cold? What cold? Riding downtown Toronto yesterday (Saturday) noon time. Stopped on the intersection and I can't believe my eyes - guy in a leather jacket, on a sport bike, wearing short pants! Yes short pants! I guess, to much sun heating his head...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Took out the new (to me ) CBR 929 today for about a 75km first ride/get ready for storage run:thumbdown:
It wasnt nearly as uncomfortable as i expected,and HOLY CRAP is it fast:angel_19::mod2_eek:
actually handles better on the gravel road than my wee...:headbang:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I put a couple of hundred klicks on mine today too , but I rode in thick , cold fog till 11am . When I got home , I dismantled the basement patio doors , and rolled her into her winter den , where she will entertain me throughout the winter in farkle mode : Russell day long seat , new panniers and rack , new brake lines , pads , new handlebars and risers ( hence the brake lines ) , hand guard extenders ... oh , yes , I've been spoiling myself !
Good thing my wife doesn't follow this forum !
Alex

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
I have noticed over the last few weeks I don't see a lot iof other bike. Almost never on my cummute into work. Satuday after workj iu headed dfowntown to have dinner witr my daughter.. Didn't see one other bike.

Yeah, I went out today too. I just had to. Same cold, crisp, sun and cloud. I rode about 200 Kms around Lindsay, Bobcaygeon, and Peterborough.
It's funny thay we didn't cross paths on Sunday. Sandy and I rode up through Peterborough then the River Road to lakefield and then over to Burliegh Falls and then over to the road that is just above Stoney Lake. Backe though the lake chemong causeway, Mt Horab Rd and Caeserea to Port Perry

..Tom

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's funny thay we didn't cross paths on Sunday. Sandy and I rode up through Peterborough then the River Road to lakefield and then over to Burliegh Falls and then over to the road that is just above Stoney Lake. Backe though the lake chemong causeway, Mt Horab Rd and Caeserea to Port Perry

..Tom
Well, we both did the Chemong Causeway and that area. I was further West of you earlier, then further South on the way home, heading down by way of Milbrook. I often do the Caeserea route, but not this Sunday. I went up Janetville Rd and (the Scugog) River Road on the way to Lindsay earlier in the day, as I hadn't been on them before.

One day, the odds are, we will cross paths. Yes, few bikes, and it's still quite nice out. Was sandy on her own bike?

Marc

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
One day, the odds are, we will cross paths. Yes, few bikes, and it's still quite nice out. Was sandy on her own bike?

Marc
I'm sure it will be soon!

We were on Dewitt and Waite last week. Sandy is always on her own bike. Since getting it she refuses to be a passenger anymore. She's a great rider but on occasion I miss her being behind me.

..Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Put my Wee away for the season last week! When they salt the intersections and roads, thats it for me! Here around Pembroke On. they just dump the salt on the roads! Its like they get paid by the ton! :furious:Cummon Spring and about 4 good days of rain to get rid of the salt!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Kingston Ontario

Still great riding; sun and wonderful temperature this afternoon. I've not yet even used my winter gloves.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That's easy for YOU to say ... I suppose.

I have noticed over the last few weeks I don't see a lot iof other bike. Almost never on my cummute into work. Satuday after workj iu headed dfowntown to have dinner witr my daughter.. Didn't see one other bike.

..Tom
Tom, please take off your winter gloves to type. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sandy is always on her own bike. Since getting it she refuses to be a passenger anymore. She's a great rider but on occasion I miss her being behind me.

..Tom
Yeah, I can understand. I have a feeling that the Japanese motorcycle industry, led once again by Honda, will be supplying us with new mid-size standard, non-cruiser, bikes (like their new 500's, maybe, coming out soon) that will make it easier to find motorcycles that make sense for those who are not six foot tall and 200 pounds. Once more we will see more of "the nicest people" on bikes. Hopefully.

I went out yesterday afternoon, to buy oil and fuel stabilizer, to prep the bike at some point for its long winter's sleep. I also spent $7 at the car wash to rid the bike of accumulated crud, an annual end-of-season ritual. While there in the large town of Newcastle I stopped for a halibut-n-chips at the Irish pub.

Leaving an hour and a half later (they had some outdated British tabloid newspapers to read), it was dark and a dense fog had descended. I had a much slower than normal, and somewhat cautious, ride for the 25 Kms home. There is a nice twisty stretch near home which for the first time ever I took at the 50 KPH speed limit. Not too many weeks or maybe even days of riding left, for me anyway. I definitely will not ride once the salt trucks have come by, I have an aversion to rust and corroded electrics, having lost too many good cars to that particularly vile compound.

Tom, it'll probably be next year before we meet on the road or at that restaurant in Bancroft once again. See you all then. There's still this list, other internet forays and my two motorcycle magazine subscriptions, but they're a far cry from actually riding the bike, and even occasionally meeting people. Cheers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Still riding here. Temps have been hovering just above freezing and mostly sunny so it's been beautiful. Did an awesome run up around the Advocate Peninsula the other day. Great ride. It's beautiful out again today, may have to do a quick trip this morning just to be able to say that I did.

Here's some pics from the Advocate run:

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
... I definitely will not ride once the salt trucks have come by, I have an aversion to rust and corroded electrics, having lost too many good cars to that particularly vile compound.
You have already been riding on salted roads.. the roads in your area (and mine) have been "Brined" on and off since early October. In all honesty I didn't see much effect on my 2006 from salt and crap. The only things that got corrosion were a few aftermarket parts. Since its been sittting since March I see some on the header pipe and that's it. I suspect the coating of dirt and rap has kept most of the issues with salt away.

The forecast looks no fun for riding this weekend so this will be a car weekend for me. We will see after that but I usually am able to ride until at least the end of Novemeber and a bit in December. I just have to watch for lake effecct snow. I really haven't been storing my bike as such.. just fill it up and keep the battery topped up.

..Tom

·
Registered
518 Posts
Beautiful day to day, with a high of 14. The wife (Burgman 400) and I rode up to Lefroy to visit the daughter, and loan her some camera equipment for her company christmas party. I hope to get a couple of days more riding....but the weather forecast doesn't look encouraging.:headbang:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of the benefits of owning and operating your own business is that you are able, from time to time, to say, "Screw it, I'm going riding!".

It was too nice today. It simply had to be done, and so it was. :beatnik:

Not a long ride but a very enjoyable one - lots of tight twisties. Met a weasel and a suicidal grouse, but no turkeys. :mrgreen:

It's a sad milestone however because that's it for this season - the weather's supposed to get nasty starting this weekend. The bike's going to get packed away on Saturday, and the Subie's getting new snow tires on Monday...

Did I ever mention that I hate winter? :headbang:

·
Registered
487 Posts
It was sad here yesterday, put the fuel stabilizer in my wee and pulled the cover over her for the winter, but she's only in the garage if a nice day pops up. Right now the long range forecast isn't looking good with -12 at night next week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts