StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time and quite a few pounds since my last bike, but I'm back in the game and having a great time.

My next door neighbor at the beginning of the season traded his Concours and his KLR for a K9 DL650. He's been tempting me with it all summer...

So, when the "Finance Dept." approved the expenditure, I jumped at the opportunity and put a L1 Wee in the garage at the beginning of October (got a great end of season deal!). I'm so glad I ended up with the Wee, I was very close to getting a Triumph Thruxton, it's funny how sometimes things just work out if you don't get in the way. My neighbor has been great about taking me out with him while I find my bike legs again. We've hit lots of pavement and just as much gravel and the bike is breaking (me) in nicely.

Just wanted to say thanks to many of you posting here, you all have helped immensely with the final decision to get the Wee, you have walked me through putting heated grips on it, chain maintenance, ordering a fork brace and various electrical upgrades and winterizing.

The spring itch is already starting to set in...

Hope to see you out there,

Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Welcome back to the world of two wheels. You picked a good one to brush-up on your skills. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Welcome back. I was out for 16 years myself. Then I got tossed off by a tank slapper trying to see how fast the bike would go. Take it easy and practice hard braking until it becomes a correct reflexive action. Pushing the envelope for just a few seconds can be a bad idea.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go take the beginners rider safety course, as a new old rider you have lots to learn as well as unlearn.........you will ride much better after some training. Kieth 61 and still learning.............:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome back. I was out for 16 years myself. Then I got tossed off by a tank slapper trying to see how fast the bike would go. Take it easy and practice hard braking until it becomes a correct reflexive action. Pushing the envelope for just a few seconds can be a bad idea.
Thanks Pat,

I can't believe how much info you have posted... It's been a great help. You've walked me through a few little installs now, Dyna-Beads, Oxford heated grips, and some chain maintenance. Thanks for the help, I owe ya a beer.

I've got a rad cover, aux. fuse block from eastern beaver and a fork brace on it's way. I'm sure you'll be right beside me on those install's, even if in absentia.

The riding has come along... I thought I'd have a steeper learning curve after the long break, but it has come back faster than I thought. Still concentrating on slow maneuvers, the Wee is very different than the cruiser style I previously had.

While I have you here, chain maintenance seem to be a very controversial topic... do you really think that the "no clean, just lube" policy is the way to go? I'm kinda a "keep 'er clean" type of guy... do you think that kerosene really gets past the o-rings and dissolves the sealed in lube?

I appreciate the feedback,

Mac.

P.S. Next time I'm in Chicago, pizza and beers are on me...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go take the beginners rider safety course, as a new old rider you have lots to learn as well as unlearn.........you will ride much better after some training. Kieth 61 and still learning.............:confused:
Absolutely... signing up in the spring.

It's kinda funny you mentioned that... I was just thinking back to the first time I took the course, and half the class was "old guys" like me on their second time around... they had a blast, no pressure to pass for their "M" endorsement, just there for fun and brushing up.

I'm looking forward to it.

Mac.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you use a clean chain lube like DuPont multi purpose dry wax with Teflon or Bel-Ray Super Clean, cleaning is not needed. V-Tom is the resident guru on chain life and recommends lubing often and never cleaning. He uses the DuPont stuff every gas stop.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Absolutely... signing up in the spring.

It's kinda funny you mentioned that... I was just thinking back to the first time I took the course, and half the class was "old guys" like me on their second time around... they had a blast, no pressure to pass for their "M" endorsement, just there for fun and brushing up.

I'm looking forward to it.

Mac.
I took the bike course at Conestoga College a couple of years ago. It's a great couple of days and well worth the money. Make sure you sign up early in the spring. The classes tend to fill up quick.

Welcome to the fold. I'm not very far away from you, so maybe we can get out for a ride when you get comfortable on two wheels again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts