StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this strange wear on my front Anakee-2 this morning. I need a new tire, but it's a bummer because there is plenty of use able tire left there.

Is this cupping and is this a normal cupping pattern on an Anakee-2?

Attachments

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,337 Posts
Cupping or feathering. Those were known for that. Doesn't mean the tire has to be removed. might make some noise or a bit of a vibration at certain speeds. More air pressure can lessen the development, but there is a tradeoff there too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yup. That's gonna make it feel funky at slow speeds and comping to stops. I remember asking myself "did I forget how to ride?" when my tire looked like that! hahah

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, good to know I can run this one out a bit longer. I wasn't expecting that in the slightest, thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I run my fronts at 42psi, they don't seem to cup that way. You should check out the Anakee 3 as a replacement - they improved quite a bit over the 2.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I run my fronts at 42psi, they don't seem to cup that way. You should check out the Anakee 3 as a replacement - they improved quite a bit over the 2.
Whoa that's high. Isn't 36 what's recommended? At 42, the tire probably never fully warms up which means you have less traction in turns. It also means you have less grip when you fully apply the front brake, because it's not heating up and also because it can't compress as much to expand the contact patch.
Test it for yourself. After a ride (at 42psi), put your hand on the center of the tire and see how warm it is. Then try similar ride at similar ambient temperature at 36psi. Should feel a lot warmer to the touch.
I try to save money any way I can, but never at the cost of grip / safety.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Many people will disagree but ... flip it. On my Vee I remove the wheel and simply flip it. The nay sayers will say but that is going against the tire indicated rotation. My answer is slow down on wet roads. Dry roads no issue, dirt roads I slow down.

My tourances didn't cup but my k76's did.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Whoa that's high. Isn't 36 what's recommended? At 42, the tire probably never fully warms up which means you have less traction in turns. It also means you have less grip when you fully apply the front brake, because it's not heating up and also because it can't compress as much to expand the contact patch.
Test it for yourself. After a ride (at 42psi), put your hand on the center of the tire and see how warm it is. Then try similar ride at similar ambient temperature at 36psi. Should feel a lot warmer to the touch.
I try to save money any way I can, but never at the cost of grip / safety.
I agree in principle, but after years running mid 30s and low 40s for PSI I haven't noticed difference in traction, though there is a huge difference in tire lifespan. Easily over 20k on a set, and they do not cup. Maybe it's the high silica content of the Anakee 3.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree in principle, but after years running mid 30s and low 40s for PSI I haven't noticed difference in traction, though there is a huge difference in tire lifespan. Easily over 20k on a set, and they do not cup. Maybe it's the high silica content of the Anakee 3.
Interesting @ compound. How much time does it take you to clock all those miles? I'm lucky if I do 6k / year, so I often change tires due to age, not wear. For that reason, I try to go for maximum traction vs best wear.
Once the little cracks show up (dry rot) in the tread grooves, the tires aren't nearly as sticky as they can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Interesting @ compound. How much time does it take you to clock all those miles? I'm lucky if I do 6k / year, so I often change tires due to age, not wear. For that reason, I try to go for maximum traction vs best wear.
Once the little cracks show up (dry rot) in the tread grooves, the tires aren't nearly as sticky as they can be.
Yep, my ex's front tire that I recently swapped out was like that from age despite having some tread left. I think sitting outside year round didn't help either.

I do 17-20k per year, so the rubber is almost always fresh even if the tread is well worn. Since I haven't made any measurements, the best I can say is that I haven't noticed a loss in grip even if I have sacrificed some. I'll never criticize caution when it comes to the load-bearing parts of the bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea, that looks like feathering and cupping and is likely a mfr defect. I would never ride with tires like that as when cornering, you are losing your contact patch. Get those tires replaced.

Reactions: BrianS

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I've run all sorts of similar tires and the Anakees were, by far, the worst for cupping. Nothing else came even close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts