StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is pressing me to sell my bike. She's worried that I'll get hurt in an accident.

So, I've stripped most of the farkles off the XJR1300 and will soon be advertising it (not here :) ).

It's very likely I'll be selling my 2003 L322 Range Rover as well as my wife cannot drive any more owing to a medical condition - so we don't need two cars.

We'll keep her 2009 turbo Subaru Forester even though I much prefer driving the Rangie.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ya know, in a way I can see her side of the story. It sounds like she is somewhat dependent upon you. If you were gone or not in good condition she would be up the creek.
I am glad I have never got the "me or the motorcycle" ultimatum. I would be losing weight because I am not a very good cook.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I hope you get top dollar and easy sales. I understand her position. Nice to be needed and wanted.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Is her condition one that will get better over time or possibly worse ?

Maybe a Can Am Spyder might get you back to at least 3 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is her condition one that will get better over time or possibly worse ?

Maybe a Can Am Spyder might get you back to at least 3 wheels.
At this stage it's unknown.

Re the Can-Am, I can't see the point of them. One still needs to wear protective gear, including a helmet (mandatory in Oz).

A friend down the street has one. Me? I'd rather a sports car - a Sunbeam Alpine Series V would be my choice.

Like this: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/me-and-my-classic-motor-sunbeam-alpine-series-v-1968/

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Riding or not riding is always a personal choice, and no one should try to influence another person to keep doing it if they decide they want to stop. As far as leaving the site goes, I don't think that selling your bike automatically means you have to leave here, unless that's what you want to do. You've been here a long time, and you have experience and insights into riding that don't disappear just because you don't have a bike any more. Other people can always benefit from that experience.

Whichever way you decide, good luck!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm sorry it's come down to that decision for you, I hope all works out OK for you and your spouse.

When mine gave me the blessing to get my first bike, I honestly don't think she expected me to become as passionate about riding as I became. She's always worried about me when I ride, and sometimes that worry's risen to the point of conflict. So compromises have been made. I don't ride as much or as long as I'd prefer to, or spend as much time working on the bike as I want. On the other hand, happy wife = happy life.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a couple of Sunbeam's back in the 80's and they were a fun Sunday driver for sure. One of mine even had the original removable hard top as well as the rag top stowed in the back compartment. I do miss them but if I were buying a roadster today, I think I would want something more modern if I was driving it more than a few days per month like a used Mazda Miata MX-5 or Fiat Spider.

Anyway p38, hope you stick around here and wishing a speedy recovery to your wife!

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Sorry to hear that but as husbands we have responsabilities.

I always thought that if I/we weren't able to ride I would get us a little two-year convertible. Ideally a Porsche Boxster (but a nice Miata would be nice as well) and go on road trips.

Not the same as riding but a bit ore out there than a coupe or sedan and a lot of fun just the same.

..Tom

·
Registered
562 Posts
My FIRST wife made me choose between her and my bike.

At the time I had a 1982 Laverda RGS1000

As I told here at — we were 26 at the time — "Honey, there are only 10 Laverda RGS1000s in Canada, but there about a million women of marrying age, so I don't think the odds are in your favour."

Kept that Laverda for 97,000 kilometres. Regret selling it.

The wife not missed quite as much

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's nice that you have placed her comfort/security over you passion for riding.

It's a compliment to her, and to you, that you would do that.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I have a slightly modded Miata and must say, it is a bit like driving a motorcycle. Not a very powerful one, but fun to run through the gears and lovely on a nice summer evening. I'd tour in that for sure.

Reactions: CoyoteChris

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
P38, what a revolting development.
As far as the Alpine goes, shoot for the Tiger. The Sunbeam Tiger was more fun than the Alpine. I got drive both back when.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry it's come down to that decision for you, I hope all works out OK for you and your spouse.
Thank you.

When mine gave me the blessing to get my first bike,
My wife, just after we got married, unbeknown to me, ordered and paid for a new bike. When I went past the bike shop, they told me they had a new bike in adid I want to ride it?

Of course!

Take it and come back after lunch.

I did and, when I returned, they told me it was mine and that my wife had bought it for me.

After our son died (see above), my wife bought a new CB400ABS. She sold it when she went onto Warfarin.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a couple of Sunbeam's back in the 80's and they were a fun Sunday driver for sure. One of mine even had the original removable hard top as well as the rag top stowed in the back compartment. I do miss them but if I were buying a roadster today, I think I would want something more modern if I was driving it more than a few days per month like a used Mazda Miata MX-5 or Fiat Spider.

Anyway p38, hope you stick around here and wishing a speedy recovery to your wife!
Thank you.

My brain says MX-5 but they don't appeal. My heart says Sunbeam. Besides, I know those Rootes engines and gearboxes as I've owned a couple of Hillmans.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P38, what a revolting development.
As far as the Alpine goes, shoot for the Tiger. The Sunbeam Tiger was more fun than the Alpine. I got drive both back when.
Prices in Oz:

Alpine $20K-30K approx.
Tiger $95K-135K approx.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/sunbeam/

The Tiger is out of the question. I drove an Alpine whilst in Vancouver (BC, not WA) some years back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
While your situation is quite different than many "me or the bike" ultimatiums, I do have one Friend who had a Vstrom and a sidecar to go with it. His wife saw a bad wreck and "made" him sell the bike.

In a situation where two people are both healthy, trying to make someone give up motorcycling/Skydiving/ Polo/down hill ski racing/mountain climbing/you name it/ because its dangerous is never good, and I certainly would leave my wife over an argument like that. Life is dangerous. Smoking , over eating, using drugs and alchohol and a hundred things are dangerous. NOT having sex is very dangerous medically.
Yet see how many women jump to rectify THAT one.

But yes, your case is quite different than someone bowing to someone else's paranoia. And its a personal decision. Best wishes. Buy a Miata.

As for me, "I got a bike for my wife...best trade I ever made."

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts