Strom Trooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so yesterday I was riding on a curvy road enjoying myself and I come up on a right hand corner that is about 80% covered in gravel, after dozens of miles of perfect road. I am cornering at about 55mph and go down on the right, and slide/tumble about 100 ft uphill (bike slid about 120ft). My injuries were a bloodied and bruised elbow, bruised knee and left shoulder dislocated or popped or something while I was rolling and sliding (plus being sore all over) Somehow my helmet doesn’t have a scratch! Gear was a terra trek 4 jacket (with a prolite back protector) which held up well besides the right elbow where I have a 3” hole at the seam of the thicker elbow patch and the arm, pants were advsport and have a few tears near my right front pocket, gloves were scorpion exo which held up great and palm sliders/knuckle sliders took the fall.

On to the bike- damage is surprisingly minimal thanks to my givi crash bars. The right one bent in and smacked my fairing for a second and wore down flat in a few spots, but painted over it looks fine from 15 ft away. Right rear passenger foot peg mount busted which means replacing that as well as the rear subframe. Brake foot lever is worn down, my hand guard, mirror and fog light all busted, as well as the bar end bent (but I think bar is fine). Also the plastic exhaust shields are scratched. My COR amazon waterproof duffel has scuffs but no tears- quality product!

Anything else I should check for that might not be obvious like welds within the frame? The bike just slid and didn’t tumble, I was able to drive away after 30 minutes to the nearest fire station to help with my bleeding and the bike ran fine except for maybe 20% more vibration from the handlebars.

Ride on and ATGATT

·
Registered
426 Posts
Glad you suffered minimal damage to you and the bike. By the length of the slide it seems you did make it most of the way around the corner. Check out your air box as oil may have migrated into it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow! That was not a fun afternoon. Glad you are okay. Had you recently had rain? I am always leery of gravel wash in the road after rain.
As for the bike, sounds like the crash bars did what they were supposed to do...the front junction may vibrate after something like this. I used a truck tow hitch and a come-along to straighten my SW Motech bars after a ride into the pavement bent one side in close to touching the fairing. Wound up leaning bike and "bouncing" to get them back to reasonable. This also stopped the buzzy feeling in the bike at mid throttle. Same as yours, a coat of paint and they were fine.
Just keep an eye out for a bit....things like levers, turn signals, footpegs, etc. may loosen up even though they were tight immediately afterwards.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Glad to hear you came out of it OK.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well, any day you have a 65 mph crash you can walk away from is a good one, in my books. Sure, it would be even better not to have fallen, but if you had to, this is about the best outcome you could ask for.

Can't think of too much else you should need to worry about on the bike, other than the oil in the airbox that someone else mentioned.

I really need to wear my riding pants when riding. I'm not sure how good they are, but I'm pretty sure they're a fair sight tougher than jeans.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
Good to her you are basically okay with minimal damage!

..Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, for a crash I am lucky how it turned out- I stopped only a few feet away from falling down 80-100ft drop off.

I’ll check for oil in the airbox and continue to monitor everything, as well as probably checking nearly every fastener on the bike since I haven’t checked it in over a year and since then had a half dozen 0-3mph falls plus this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You might want to to loosen the forks in the sliders and pump them a couple times to make sure they're in alignment. There's videos on youtube if you haven't done it before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As much as I like Michigan when I visit, the weather can be strange and unpredictable causing dynamic road conditions.

After an accident like that, good to hear you got up and rode away.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can’t add anything about the bike that hasn’t been covered. I will share a low side I had. 12 mph. Minimal damage. I felt fine. 3 months later I’m in my firebird driving to work and it feels like someone shoved an ice pick in my neck. I tough it out for a few days wondering wtf is going on. I finally go to doctor. Xrays, mri, two ruptured discs in my neck. Did it happen during the low speed low side? I can’t say. I certainly should have had an X-ray done at the time even though I had no symptoms.

Glad you’re ok. What tires did you have on it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks steady horse, I was debating on doing that. I have Shinki 804/805 tires

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you're still with us and in 1 piece.
Those firemen must've been impressed when you rolled in to tell the story!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep.

You might want to to loosen the forks in the sliders and pump them a couple times to make sure they're in alignment. There's videos on youtube if you haven't done it before.
If it had to happen, you were fortunate to have low sided. I did much the same thing once, but the bike stood up and threw me like a champion rodeo bull.
Sounds like a fairly good slam when it contacted the surface. The upper fork bracket may have twisted slightly out of alignment with the steering stem. Maybe not enough to cause binding of the suspension, but could contribute to bar vibration and the bike favoring one side with no hands on the bars.

·
Registered
204 Posts
as BC Rider mentioned above. check your airbox.

How long was the bike on its side?

I had a high speed fall myself around 55mph fall, minimal damage to bike, I had a fractured collar bone to show for. My SW Motech engine guard scratched up. My only damage is a bent end bar screw that I had to replace.

After this fall, my oil started disapearing at a rate of 1/2 qt per tank. Could not figure out for the longest time.

When I opened my air box, there were oil in them. at the bottom and the crankcase breather was soaked in oil. Being a cheap bastard and not wanting to spend 15 dollars shipped for a breather. I opted to degrease it using purple power.

Still oil was escaping.

So after almost 1 year of riding and topping off oil, I decided to replace the crankcase breather with a new OEM one. Yep, you guessed it, my oil stopped disappearing.

So now I advise people that whenever you replace your air filter on your bike, go ahead and replace the crankcase breather. There's another thread by a fellow vstrommer that his breather disentegrated and the breather material left lot of the residue behind and may have gotten into the engine.

I'm glad you sustained minimum damage to your body

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My elbow was bothering me but got it x rayed and no issues, so I think I’m all set. Still getting really sore in random places when doing pretty much any sort of physical activity. I walked it out and bike slid 120-140 ft and I slid about 100 ft and I’m guessing rolled 2-3 times. Basically all damage was the givi crash bar which bent so far in it hit my front fairing, and my rear peg bent the subframe so gotta replace the rear subframe which I found off eBay for only $40. Other than little odd bits like fog light, mirror, plastic hand guards and brake pedal I don’t have much to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts