StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 years ago I bought a VTX 1300 to replace my fun, but entirely unreliable, 83 Magna V65. It was an ok bike. Meaning, it ran well when I brought it back to life after 10 years of neglect. It never failed to start up on the first crank. I put 22k miles on it. But it just was too big, too slow, and just a horrible choice for the NC/TN/SC mountains. And so after a year I started looking for a replacement.

You can see by my join date that I was heavily looking at the Strom as a replacement. The question was, 1000 or 650. Ultimately it came down to trolling online listings and being patient. That leads us to a few weeks ago. I decided to put the VTX up for sale and find a used Strom to buy. The 650 was more in my price range but I watched for both bikes.

As luck would have it, I found a local guy that was willing to trade. He bought the Strom and immediately discovered it just didn't work for him. Best part is, we're less than 10 miles apart in location. We each traded bikes for a brief ride and this last Friday I brought the Strom home. One bike and a bit of money lighter, but so much easier than having to buy and sell.

Now it's a matter of adding farkles and miles. And maybe some paint or vinyl wrap.

EDIT: because I forgot.

It's a 2012 Wee with 38k on it. My understanding is that it was serviced at 32k and got a valve adjustment (maybe, I'd have to pull the plastics to really check), but it definitely got new sprockets and chain. And it has newish Pilot Road 4's on it. I've been waiting for the right time for the stars to align and happy that it finally did.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome! HEY! I remember you! You were on one of the main V4 boards - either V4Hondabbs or V4Musclebike. Too bad about the big Maggie. '83 was the fastest year, too (legend has it).

That Strom is a nice colour. Vee or Wee? What year?

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Nice campaign - well done and always loved that colour.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You didn't say whether it was the 650 or 1000, what year? I got my used 2012 650 a couple weeks ago. I'm still getting used to it, from a Suzuki Boulevard 800 cruiser. Quite different but I think I'll like it better.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cool story, congrats on getting the 650, love the color, don't change it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! HEY! I remember you! You were on one of the main V4 boards - either V4Hondabbs or V4Musclebike. Too bad about the big Maggie. '83 was the fastest year, too (legend has it).

That Strom is a nice colour. Vee or Wee? What year?

Cheers,
Glenn
Small world right? Yeap, I was on both V4 boards and thought that I recognized your handle from somewhere. And the straw that broke the camels back for me was when the V65 snapped a second throttle cable. That was me done. However, this bike is much quicker than I ever ended up getting the Magna to run.

It's a 2012 Wee with 38k on it. My understanding is that it was serviced at 32k and got a valve adjustment (maybe, I'd have to pull the plastics to really check), but it definitely got new sprockets and chain. And it has newish Pilot Road 4's on it. I've been waiting for the right time for the stars to align and happy that it finally did.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn't say whether it was the 650 or 1000, what year? I got my used 2012 650 a couple weeks ago. I'm still getting used to it, from a Suzuki Boulevard 800 cruiser. Quite different but I think I'll like it better.
The 650. I went from an '87 Suzuki VS700 to an '83 Magna V65 to a '05 VTX 1300 and now this. The Strom and the Magna are very close in how they react to inputs and how they sit for seat height. I'm liking it so far. I'll like it better when my mirror extenders get in and I make a set of wind deflectors for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool story, congrats on getting the 650, love the color, don't change it.
I'm probably going to change the orange bits to the hiviz yellow that you see on the newer Stroms I think. HiViz all the things! Plus, it'll just confuse people.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although it didn't come with any luggage someone left a Dynamic rear plate on it, with backrest. I don't need the backrest so I've taken that off. I have a riding buddy that has a Givi case that supposedly slots right into this rack. If it does I'll pick up a Givi top case down the road. A previous owner also already installed a fork brace so that's off the list. I have a center stand coming in from happy-trails whenever that gets here. I ordered yesterday so I presume it'll be a week or two. And for reasons that I cannot fathom a previous owner wired the low beam lights to an on/off switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet....congrats and a helluva trade!!!!
I agree. Dude, who has a bad hip, got a bike with one of the lowest seat heights I've ever sat on and I got a bike I've been keeping tabs on for two years. Very serendipitous.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice bike, that's my favorite color.

How much did you come out of pocket?
$800 to the seller and $174 to the state for the privilege of driving it on their roads with a plate. No clue why they no longer allow plate transfers, but such is life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coincidence! I just picked up my 2015 Wee yesterday in trade for my 2004 Boulevard 800. Back then it was called the Velusia, before fuel injection. The V-Strom’s handling is certainly more responsive. What a joy. Looking forward to taking it to my cottage. The cruiser never made it there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to Big B selling off some kit, it now has side cases. Woo. And my center stand comes tomorrow. And I found a locking ring tank bag local. Super woo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news: my center stand is installed!

Bad news: it doesn't work with lowering links. So I'm going to order in a set of stock dog bones as I'd like to be able to use the center stand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts