StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out riding my bike just fine earlier today with no issues. I came home turned off my bike and washed it about five to ten mins later. The bike now no longer starts. Water doesn't seem to be the cause or the issue as I tried again 30 minutes later and again a few hours later and my bike was totally dry. I believe the fuel injector pump is still working as I can hear it doing it's normal thing. The battery is new as of this April and working fine as all the lights etc are still working. I had a friend come over and we noticed that the throtle is making a wierd noise when the power is on. Switching off the power to electric starter also creates a noise I've never heard before. We tried power starting or push starting my bike... but had no success. It seemed like it almost worked but not quite. My friend who has some mechanical knowledge, as I have none, seems to think that maybe there is an issue with the fuel not getting to something or other.

Do you have any guesses as to what might be wrong with my bike? What things I might try? Also if you were to guess how much it might cost to get my bike fixed?

Thanks,

BV

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If the starter is not cranking, check the two wires to the clutch lever switch.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What is on the instruments/display when this happens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After paying a shop to come pick up my bike, they spent all of five minutes on it and figured out it was the clutch diode switch. Some connector had come loose and the starter wouldn't engage as part of some safety check. I really should have asked the shop what that was about and to show me, but I felt like an idiot as it was. :-(

Thanks for the suggestion and attempt to help. Sorry I didn't respond back sooner. It may have saved me some money!

BV

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
As in post #2.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This same thing happened to me the other day and I posted as well. I retraced my steps and found the problem but that little connector is a pain.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If the VStrom won't start after having been working just fine prior to that, the connector under the clutch lever is the first place to check. The problem is that it is mounted from underneath, and a blow, sometimes even a light one, or hitting a bump can jar it loose. That happened to a friend of mine who had someone bump into her when they dropped their bike, causing her to drop hers. After that it wouldn't start. After checking all the other possible causes, I checked that clutch switch connector, and sure enough, that was the problem. Pushed it back in and all was well with the world. Started right up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts