StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DL650A
35 Posts
I can only imagine the struggles of getting items from the US to Down Under. Even here in Canada I have been hit with curveballs by getting kit and parts sent from the US. Shipping prices are as much as the product or not even available to ship to the country.
A friend from Canada post said that they heard the USPS has prioritized domestic mail above all but private like fedex, ups and dhl are picking up the international but at higher costs

·
Vendor
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, definitely higher prices using the commercial carriers. That is why our default has been Priority mail. It was both fastest and cheapest. Now something else is going to be fastest and cheapest or one or the other. We will figure it out.

·
Registered
2015 DL650 A ... Blue ...
396 Posts
Does it affect the rest of the world, or just Aus Rick?
I used to buy all my dirt bike gear from the US, tyres, complete crank assemblies, gearboxes, tripple trees complete with forks, shocks, pistons, barrels, everything,--- new and used.
Some of it was free postage.... Would be happy to pay reasonable shipping costs, but $80 postage for a $10 small item is a bit rich.
Must really be hurting the export bottom line for the US!
Probably been 8-10 years since I've been able to justify the shipping costs....
I do get some stuff from the UK nowadays. Their shipping seems to be reasonable...

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
We should be opening up to overseas travel again shortly that will mean more planes and more cargo movements.

That should start getting things back to normal.

At the moment sea freight is the only realistic way in or out.

High value items are filling the planes that do travel to and from here.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I recently got notices from my bank and my credit card that the USPS First Class mail is not going to be reliable any more, that they are doing a slow down to save costs or some such. I was warned that even if I don't receive my statements on time I am still on the hook to make payments on time or maintain proper balances to cover checks outstanding. Have you heard anything about this Rich?

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I recently got notices from my bank and my credit card that the USPS First Class mail is not going to be reliable any more, that they are doing a slow down to save costs or some such. I was warned that even if I don't receive my statements on time I am still on the hook to make payments on time or maintain proper balances to cover checks outstanding. Have you heard anything about this Rich?
Turn on the news;). Been all over the news for the past few days.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Switch to paperless 😉 ... just log in to your credit card/bank Acc, all the statements are there...

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Switch to paperless 😉 ... just log in to your credit card/bank Acc, all the statements are there...
That was my solution, years ago. Mail in my neighborhood has always been unreliable. Carriers frequently misdeliver mail, and lots of mail theft happens on top of that.

For outbound, I long ago gave up on first class mail. Anything worth sending anywhere either goes Priority Mail if it's small (that's tracked and gets better handling, at least), or some other carrier if it's not.

Email has its own insecurities, but around here, they are outweighed by those of the postal service.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Yes, definitely higher prices using the commercial carriers. That is why our default has been Priority mail. It was both fastest and cheapest. Now something else is going to be fastest and cheapest or one or the other. We will figure it out.
You folks ship so fast that it probably doesn't matter (at least for us northwesterners). However, if it's feasible for you, I would love the option to choose a carrier. I will pay a few extra bucks for UPS, any day, over the alternatives.

Anybody on the west coast who has ordered from Revzilla recently knows how zany Ontrac has been lately. FedEx logistics is comical; they clearly have no idea where anything is most of the time. And USPS is circling the drain.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,706 Posts
I quit shipping USPS early this year. Sent a LOT of medium Flat Rate boxes internationally over the years. Never fast, but cost was good and they picked up from here.
Now I can ship the same size box via UPS for $10 to $30 less and it is getting there in 2-5 days about every time. I was looking at 3-4 weeks commonly with the USPS. I have to tote the box to the UPS store. That is the only downside.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a catch, I switched from paper to paperless, got sidetracked and no notification from the credit card company until over due. I switched both cards back to paper, and changed email, apparently Hotmail isn't reliable anymore. FYI I have 3 email providers, one is my internet provider, and Gmail. When I contacted my credit card company, they waved the $48 overdue interest charge because of issues with Hotmail, I switched email as well and went back to paper--Yes I was told I could just log in and check, the problem is I have two other people I pay bills for and 4 credit cards.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There is a catch, I switched from paper to paperless, got sidetracked and no notification from the credit card company until over due. I switched both cards back to paper, and changed email, apparently Hotmail isn't reliable anymore. FYI I have 3 email providers, one is my internet provider, and Gmail. When I contacted my credit card company, they waved the $48 overdue interest charge because of issues with Hotmail, I switched email as well and went back to paper--Yes I was told I could just log in and check, the problem is I have two other people I pay bills for and 4 credit cards.
Yeah it's hard to remember since the due date sometimes changes by a day or two.
Maybe ask your credit card company to change your due date, say every 10th or 20th of the month, for all cards, so it will be easy to remember. Or consolidate all 4 to one card with multiple users.

Credit cards are EVIL anyway, I only have one and changed the due date to every 10th. Of the month.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah it's hard to remember since the due date sometimes changes by a day or two.
Maybe ask your credit card company to change your due date, say every 10th or 20th of the month, for all cards, so it will be easy to remember. Or consolidate all 4 to one card with multiple users.

Credit cards are EVIL anyway, I only have one and changed the due date to every 10th. Of the month.
I am going to disagree, I have two major credit cards, my one gives me close to $200 worth of free stuff every year, Canadian Tire--yes I am aware the credit card companies charge the store for their use, but I don't get anything back using cash. FYI, using debit, if someone scams your pin, expect to need to have a notorized statement that it wasn't you and need to wait 30 days or more to resolve the charges with your bank. My credit card has been scammed twice in two years, full protection and I have a new card within 7 days. I rarely use debit for that very reason. I would never consolodate cards, one mistake and you all are out of luck. In Ontario, several small businesses only have Visa or MasterCard , due to low transactions.

·
Registered
2004 DL650
135 Posts
I can't get FedEx packages to Northern CA from Southern CA, waiting a week now and packages make it to Tracy FedEx hub and get lost every time for days.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,706 Posts
They won't do a pickup at your location? They do that here, even for residential addresses ...
Two things....first is I ship through Stamps.com. While I have an official UPS login and account...I pay probably 30% less through Stamps.com. The problem is that Stamps.com does not have a way on their site to "schedule" a UPS pickup. That can be done through the UPS account site...but that won't be the same day and they charge extra to make the pickup. I take my UPS stuff to the local UPS store and hand it off.

Good Ole USPS has a box out front and they check it every day but Sunday.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am going to disagree, I have two major credit cards, my one gives me close to $200 worth of free stuff every year, Canadian Tire--yes I am aware the credit card companies charge the store for their use, but I don't get anything back using cash. FYI, using debit, if someone scams your pin, expect to need to have a notorized statement that it wasn't you and need to wait 30 days or more to resolve the charges with your bank. My credit card has been scammed twice in two years, full protection and I have a new card within 7 days. I rarely use debit for that very reason. I would never consolodate cards, one mistake and you all are out of luck. In Ontario, several small businesses only have Visa or MasterCard , due to low transactions.
I never use debit, always use credit card for the convenience and for the same reasons to get money back or discounts, also I pay every statement on time and in full.

I meant that credit cards are evil...in the hands of our young generations, that doesn't know how to control their spendings, and only pay minimum at every statement.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I can't get FedEx packages to Northern CA from Southern CA, waiting a week now and packages make it to Tracy FedEx hub and get lost every time for days.
Fedex sucks. I cringe Everytime a vendor ships that way. Guaranteed it will get lost for a few days.

Reactions: baroquenride
1 - 20 of 64 Posts