StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have been paying close attention to when my radiator runs lately, and it doesn't seem like it runs very often. I have heard it run a few times when I have 3-4 bars of heat at a stop, and of course it is hard to tell at speed.
What level does your radiator run at?
In regular driving how many heat bars do you show?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
in the AM, i only have 2 bars showing and the rad don't run. in the hot, sunny afternoon, 3 bars and the fan kicks on regularly.

P.

·
Registered
556 Posts
3 bars at all times (after reaching operating temp of course). Can't say I've ever heard the fan kick on, but I try not to stay still.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used to overheat quickly but I had that recall service done. Now I'm staying usually at 2 bars. I use the bike mostly with the wife or going out for at least a full day so I'm at highway speeds. I stay at two bars throughout most of the day and the fan doesn't come on.

M

·
0 Posts
Those early models (02/03) tend to read a little high,or at least display high. If you're getting a fan at stops, and slow traffic for a short time, then you're fine. If the fan is running non stop, you'll need to look into it farther.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Even with three bars showing on the temp display, the radiator fan on my 1000 doesn't activate unless I'm pissing about in savannah-like heat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Usually 2 bars is all mine shows normal riding constantly moving. 3 the fan kicks on from sitting in traffic or a long red light, but I can't hear the fan. I have to get off to see its running. This summer though 3 bars has about been my norm.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
What level does your radiator run at?
My radiator is running whenever the water pump is turning, which is, I hope, anytime the engine is running. If it were not, I'd be very concerned. :biggrinjester:

My cooling fan, on the other hand, rarely comes on. Of course, it also rarely gets above 80 degrees in the Pacific northwest.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Those early models (02/03) tend to read a little high,or at least display high. If you're getting a fan at stops, and slow traffic for a short time, then you're fine. If the fan is running non stop, you'll need to look into it farther.
Good to know. My 03 has hit 4 bars a few times during low speed junk. I do notice the fan running when I shut off the motor but have the ignition on. So at least I know it is functional.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Recall Service? What Service?

I used to overheat quickly but I had that recall service done. Now I'm staying usually at 2 bars. I use the bike mostly with the wife or going out for at least a full day so I'm at highway speeds. I stay at two bars throughout most of the day and the fan doesn't come on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts