• Yes, looks like my Strom, just go ride man

• No, check comment for my suggestion

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick video of my just giving it a throw while on the center stand (was me trying to understand, wasn't considering best view for you, sorry).

Bought a used 2015 as my first bike, know that it did get dropped once by owner, but it seems in great shape otherwise. Did hear some slight squeak freaking to stop yesterday, sounded like the front and subtle near end of a stop.

·
Registered
302 Posts
With the bike moving and the camera moving back and forth it’s had to tell just how bad the warp is. It’s not uncommon for a some scraping noise on any set of brakes as you spin the tire. If the brakes feel like they are grabbing and releasing while stopping then it would be time to do something.

I’m sure others will pipe in.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,336 Posts
Probably normal. Cannot tell if the rotor is warped because of camera movement. But since the noise is fairly steady I doubt it. Disc brakes can and do stay in slight contact with the rotor even when pedal is not depressed. There are some things that can happen to move them a bit off the rotor, and they stay there till the brake is applied next time. In your case I would offer that a test ride NOT using the rear brake at all for a couple miles will tell you if the rotor/caliper are a problem. Rotor should stay cool.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
+1

Ride it around without using the rear brake and check to see if the rotor is hot.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
How is the resistance with the brake pads out? There are seals on all the bearings. Seal on the counter shaft sprocket. Plus the O-rings on the chain. They all keep the tire from free spinning. Even grease in the ball bearings.

Ceramic bearings are the best but are really expensive.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
+1

Ride it around without using the rear brake and check to see if the rotor is hot.
I have figured out if calipers are bad doing this with any 4 wheel vehicle too. Jeep calipers went bad and the wheels themselves get really hot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To me everything looks and sounds normal. My Strom is brand new and I get the same amount of drag from the brake pads. That being said, I’m not sure what sort of resistance you are feeling but that looks normal to me too. Why not remove the brake calliper and give it a spin. If it spins freely, you know it’s just the brakes binding a bit and that’s normal. As others have mentioned, feel the rotor after a ride without using the back brake and feel the temp.

I think you are golden. A drop shouldn’t cause a rotor to warp. Hitting a curb yes, but then you should see a bit of a rash on the rotor.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Totally normal.

That is why disc brakes are so good and have no leaver travel, they are always fully adjusted.

Even if you ride without using the brakes you will get some temperature in the disc.

Try it on the front too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions! Very valuable info to a noob. Will test more tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You came to the right place! Lots of wizards around here. GW died last year though. :(

MotoGP bikes have special brembo brakes that have a separation spring to keep drag down. $$$$$$$$$$$ though.

Some have been known to angle grind the lower part of the pad to keep drag down also (me).

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If the rotor was warped to the point where you could see it you'd have realized it the 1st time you right foot put pressure on the brake pedal.

What you are seeing/hearing in the video is normal.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The brake caliper can and does move to center itself from side to side to the rotor when hydraulic pressure is applied. with the bike on the centerstand try to rotate or move the caliper slightly. then spin the wheel and see if the drag is gone or reduced. the caliper moves slightly on brake pins that should be clean and lightly greased. dirt bike riders occasionally remove and clean the brake pins.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does it still drag if you spin the wheel forward. spinning backwards the pads may react abit different.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Yeah with 2 or single piston calipers you need to clean and lube the pins/slides. Make sure they are free. Bad brake fluid too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts