StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed new noises emanating from the void through which the forks pass.
The normal top end "racket" is still evident, but today while sitting parked with engine running in neutral, clutch out, there seemed a more 'thrashing' sound, even a soft rumbling noise. Not loud but noticeable. The second sound was a descending whine after blipping the throttle. I haven't noticed either of these two sounds before, but my hearing is now clipped in the higher frequencies. (partly from years of riding without ear plugs. Loss of hearing now causes me many varied problems including social isolation as I can't participate in normal conversation. You have been warned..ear plugs always!! )
The bike runs well as usual. Any ideas what the new sounds are? I've search the search button, but nothing there specifically relevant.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The last few laps at Bathurst the leading drivers start hearing strange noises that have been there forever Sat :yesnod:sometimes my strom sounds like the clutch basket is about to fall out all over the road/or wtf is that noise--part and parcel of biking I feel.If it was the cage turning up the music works :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New noises

Absolutely nothing was different to cause the sound, it caught me by surprise as I was about to don the helmet. The descending whistle/whine probably the in the FI system is my best guess but why now?

OH.. another noise! Well a vibration in fact. Returning home on a weekend ride I stopped to fill about 19 liters. On a whim I filled with 98 octane which I only rarely do. Before I had left the servo driveway I could feel the engine vibrating very noticeably.The kind of vibration you feel if you rev the engine when stationary and not under load. It remained much the same even with a bit of spirited riding. The bike rides well. 98 octane never did this before. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Absolutely nothing was different to cause the sound, it caught me by surprise as I was about to don the helmet. The descending whistle/whine probably the in the FI system is my best guess but why now?

OH.. another noise! Well a vibration in fact. Returning home on a weekend ride I stopped to fill about 19 liters. On a whim I filled with 98 octane which I only rarely do. Before I had left the servo driveway I could feel the engine vibrating very noticeably.The kind of vibration you feel if you rev the engine when stationary and not under load. It remained much the same even with a bit of spirited riding. The bike rides well. 98 octane never did this before. Any Ideas?
I am going to do a loop around the river road tomorrow Sat before it gets too hot on 91 fuel and I will report on strange noises etc,well maybe--suzuki do not recommend 98 octane.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had some not so good experiences with BP's 98 in the past with poor running in bandit and GSX650F so now I avoid 98 and BP.
Perhaps you experienced something similar and this caused the vibes

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
98 Octane fuel is not needed but if you use it get it from a service station which sells a lot of it as I believe it has a very short storage time .

loose things can sometimes lead to funny sounds !

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Motorcycles make noises when they are running and no noise when they are stopped. Analysing what the noises being made while running are is a waste of time imo and generally seems to lead to paranoia.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well said K1W1. I've finally learnt to tune out the ever varying rattle and hum the 650 produces and it's a much more enjoyable ride. Ear plugs work wonders. Another tip, never start your bike with your helmet off.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noises

I agree with what you both say, probably my words if someone else had posted they had noises. The bike runs as good as ever so I won't be loosing any sleep but I like to know the cause. Like most bike owners I suppose, I'm tuned in to my bike and therefore I'm aware of the smallest change to anything on the bike. There is a reason for this change so I'd like to know....no sweat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts