StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like a connector for hooking up a battery tender. Good to have as you don't need to remove the seat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Boy....I mean, I'm no expert, but I find it hard pressed that a factory would do that ziptie job... or even ziptie something like that there...

HOWEVER... if it's connected to the battery, that's a great thing to have in general. Battery tender, heated gear, portable air compress to fill tires, it's a great handy little plug to have around! They saved you a couple bucks and a little time of installation. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
That is not Factory issue. I have the same connector going to my Eastern Beaver fuse panel that I use for a battery tender or filling a tire. Great to have. Also have one up by the handle bars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm amazed people and their electric pumps. When my tire(s) get low on my car/bike, I get out my bicycle pump. It has a pressure gauge and is about 4x faster at pumping up a low tire. I've never blown a fuse/back using it. A small manual pump can be carried and weighs even less and always works.I can't be the only one that does this.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
That's a pigtail of some sort, but I don't think it's specifically a Battery Tender (as in the brand name "Battery Tender"). The plug on mine doesn't quite look like that. Is it possible that this is what a pigtail looks like for a lithium battery, like a Shorai?

I doubt that it's factory. That black and red wiring is the kind of stuff I buy from electronics supply houses for various projects; it's the same stuff I used to wire in my USB and 12 volt outlets. I've never seen that sort of zip wire as a factory thing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm amazed people and their electric pumps. When my tire(s) get low on my car/bike, I get out my bicycle pump. It has a pressure gauge and is about 4x faster at pumping up a low tire. I've never blown a fuse/back using it. A small manual pump can be carried and weighs even less and always works.I can't be the only one that does this.
You're not.

I brought this up here a year or two back and got shot down quickly by one or two people. Someone suggested that a electric pump was safer on the side of a busy highway:confused:.

I knew it was time to move on from that conversation...Lol.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
As the others have said its a 12v SAE power whip to be used for a myriad of aux 12v power consuming devices or for charging the motorcycles battery. I think the name "Battery Tender" has become a colloquialism for any 12v SAE plug. Just like in the pipefitter world slip joint pliers are referred to a "Channel Locks"

As far as a bicycle pump while they might work I have no problem unraveling the SAE whip from my tennis ball sized 12v compressor and toggling the switch to "on" and letting it do the work.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It looks a lot like the Noco brand connector for a battery charger. Dealers will put a charger pigtail on all their used bikes and rotate a charger around them so the bikes are always ready for a test ride etc. It has a different end than a SAE pigtail that a lot of chargers and pumps use.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Boy....I mean, I'm no expert, but I find it hard pressed that a factory would do that ziptie job... or even ziptie something like that there...

HOWEVER... if it's connected to the battery, that's a great thing to have in general. Battery tender, heated gear, portable air compress to fill tires, it's a great handy little plug to have around! They saved you a couple bucks and a little time of installation. Congrats!
If you pull off the seat or look around the engine bay you'll find the factory does use removable zip ties in multiple locations.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you pull off the seat or look around the engine bay you'll find the factory does use removable zip ties in multiple locations.
True. But that's under the seat or in other hidden areas. Something like an SAE or powerlet/cigarette adaptor, I'd have a hard time thinking of a big factory putting it ziptied in such a "look at this wire here" type location. Powerlet/cigarette adaptors are usually drilled in and mounted nicely. And a wire like this, factory wise, would likely just be plugged (have a cover) and be coiled under the seat with a notice in a manual somewhere.

I think the only wire I'm aware from a factory that just kinda is out in the open like that (once again, FAR from an expert, it's just this example is pretty common) is something like asking harley to 'install' a heated jacket plug and they'll just dangle it just on the outside (under) the edge of the seat.

Alexi

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Yep, quality and compact bike pumps are the way to go. I've always got mine... I pull it from my mountain bike toolkit.
Having spent some time pumping my touring bicycle up to 100PSI at the side of the road from dead flat with a small hand held pump, just how long would a rear tire take to get to 37 PSI with a small hand powered pump (Not the standing kind)? I'd have to think more than 10 minutes of pumping while being on your knees?
Curious how much work this is?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Having spent some time pumping my touring bicycle up to 100PSI at the side of the road from dead flat with a small hand held pump, just how long would a rear tire take to get to 37 PSI with a small hand powered pump (Not the standing kind)? I'd have to think more than 10 minutes of pumping while being on your knees?
Curious how much work this is?

Yepper any manual pump small enough to carry on a motorcycle is going to take a long time to fill up a motorcycle tire. Good to have as a backup I guess if you're worried about an electric pump.

Me I would rather connect the electric pump and let it run while I sit in the shade.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Yepper any manual pump small enough to carry on a motorcycle is going to take a long time to fill up a motorcycle tire. Good to have as a backup I guess if you're worried about an electric pump.

Me I would rather connect the electric pump and let it run while I sit in the shade.
I remember being kinda fatigued on my bicycle tire getting to 100. My bike pump is very small....so is my electric pump, just weighs a bit more. Good if you want to air down the tires then bring them back up for highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a Gerbing lead running from the battery and out under the left front edge of the seat. When in the garage, I use an adapter so I can connect my Battery Tender through the Gerbing lead, then I can plug in my heated jacket liner to the same lead when needed on the move. I keep another adapter in my Slime pack to run the pump if/when needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts