StromTrooper banner

Is this really a DL650?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Atomic Spew 
#1 ·
http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=121479001370&search=jmv,lowers&startid=6

Scroll down to the blue VStrom. Mine looks like that now.

This may have been covered in the past but I haven't seen a recent thread here.

I've been intrigued by threads in other forums regarding the addition of JMV fairing lowers to the DL650. Beautiful pieces judging by pics posted by others.

But I never figured I'd spend $500 and then have to wait months to receive them, so I put it out of my mind and into the nice but unlikely to happen dream list.

Last weekend I unexpectedly came upon a set in the flea market on another forum. After an exchange of emails we quickly settled on a fair price and I picked up the pieces a few days later while on another errand.

The install was straightforward except for adding a mounting tab which required removal and reinstall of a sidestand bolt. That sucker was tight and since I don't have a center stand and didn't wish to have a bike crush my head, I let the local dealer do that one bolt. $20.48. Oh well...

Since I don't ride off road to speak of, I'm really pleased with the look.

Now, if I could only add sliders and highway pegs somehow... hmm... and the yellow and/or black versions sure look nice...

Ah nuts. First I'll take the electric knife to the seat then have it recovered in leather.

The true beauty of the DL650, in my mind is that it can be so many things to so many people.

I highly recommend the JMV lowers if you like the look. Top quality fit and finish and easy install. +1 in my book.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the looks of the lowers and I see a lot of bikes with them ( Not all of them necessasarily Vstroms) :D

But they look to add to the maint. of oil & filter changes :? & can't you run the engine / fairing protecting guards like my GIVI 's ? while I dont do loads of off road either the guards are important to have I think.
:oops: Sorry to go off on that line of thought.
They are great looking and I think that they will be great :D Now go take some VFR owners lunch money in the twisties :wink:

#3 ·
Nah, oil and filter are wide open and easy to get at.

Funny, you should mention the VFR. The only other bike I was considering was the VFR. Great bike and believe me it would blow the Wee away with equal riders (which I'm sure you know :) ). The Wee is simply too tall and doesn't have enough rubber or top end to keep up.

But the Wee is much more versatile. Now that the tabs for the lowers are on, it really only takes about 10 minutes to easily remove them for that run up the fire road.

I like the lowers because in my opinion it turns the Wee into what I really like, which is a sporty looking bike with the ergonomics of the old fashioned, pre clip-on wannabe, standard. Much more comfortable, especially since I like 12 hour days on my bike.

#4 ·
PageMan--
Have a look here for your sliders:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Wild Hair Main.htm

specifically:

http://www.whaccessories.com/ProtectorGSGMoto.htm

I have a 650 VStrom, and the guy swears they'll fit my bike (Only DL1000's are listed in the fit guide). They just came in the mail today, so I don't know yet if they'll work, but my GOD these things look tough! They have to be custom fabricated and ordered from Germany, so expect to wait 4-6 weeks (I placed my order 9/14 and they arrived today, 10/17--not bad). They don't charge your card until they're made, though, so that's nice. I paid $110 plus $10 shipping. I'm planning on mounting these this weekend and will try to remember to take and post pictures, if you like...

(edit) also just noticed your comments about the VFR. Interestingly, I too, was between a VFR & VStrom, and went with the Wee, even though I found a prestine VFR for less $$. I thought, and believe (so far), that the Wee was a better decision for my personal riding needs. Love the bike, love the bike...

A.S.

#5 ·
Thanks for the link.

They do look good. And strong.

The problem is that a hole has to be cut in the JMV fairings and the sliders need to go in a very inconvenient location. Not sure a clean hole can be cut.

Oh well, another winter project. Going down to the local aftermarket speed shop to see if they have black decals to do a little eyeliner work on the Wee's headlights. And a little 3M clear protectant film for the bottom of the lowers.

It never ends.

#6 ·
yeah, those fairings will pretty much eliminate crash bars, and sliders will require cutting holes...but if you can do it cleanly, they'll protect all that new plastic pretty well!

Now that I've said that, the thought occurs that these were designed for a stock bike; the bolt these sliders attach to may not be long enough with the additional width you've added to the bike from the added plastic. Hmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.