StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just swapped my stock pegs for Honda Gold Wing pegs on my WEE. They fit right on. They also give you twice the surface area to rest your feet & lower than the stock peg by a little over 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Pull the peg pin slide the Wing pegs on. Adjust the shifter & brake pedal & your done 10 min install.

Gotta like it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Now that's a really interesting idea. My dad has a set left over from when he added floor boards to his Wing. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I little worried about the "grippiness" of those pegs if I take the VStrom off-road however.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I posted a thread on goldwing pegs, but I think mine came from a GL1500 and had to make one minor mod, I had to drill a shallow pocket for the spring in the V-strom mount

the wider surface is much more comfortable, especially on longer rides, I have to modify my shifter (lengthen it), as it makes my shifting a bit pigeon toed

the GL1500 pegs seem only to be about ¼" lower

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I looked into the buell / goldwing peg solution, but most lowering setups screw up the stock controls. The only mod that works effectively is Richland Rick's lowering brackets because the lower the whole assembly:

Rick's "FOOTPEG AND CONTROL" Lowering Kit

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have GL1800 footpegs on my Connie, and yeah, they're huge and comfy. Almost like mini floorboards, very nice upgrade:

I don't see how they would screw up the reach to the stock controls. The Buell pegs do a bit, as I have those on my ZRX1200. I had a welder extend the peg on my shifter to solve the pigeon toe problem though.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I looked into the buell / goldwing peg solution, but most lowering setups screw up the stock controls. The only mod that works effectively is Richland Rick's lowering brackets because the lower the whole assembly:

Rick's "FOOTPEG AND CONTROL" Lowering Kit
in my case, the purpose of using GW pegs was to get a wider base, the GL1500s lowering is barely noticable ¼" .

the other peg I considered was from a Vulcan750 iirc
http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/55976-goldwing-footpeg-mod.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I screwed up
Sorry

·
Registered
282 Posts
I pulled the pegs off my GL1800i and put them on my Vee. What a difference it made. I also tried them for the passenger and they look pretty good there. I think I'll now need to pick up one more sets as my fiance will want them as well. I now have an excuse to add the little floorboards I wanted for the Wing (assuming I don't sell it).

They are definitely lower so I can't ride as aggressively in the twisties so I'll keep a stock set with me on a trip and swap them out as needed. I didn't need to adjust my shifter as it is better now. The brake was too high.

From what I can tell from the forum posts, either the 1500 or 1800 Wings will work but the 1800's are lower. Much cheaper than getting the control relocation kits as well. The springs also worked fine from my stock Vee pegs. No issues there at all.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Installed a pair the other night, very happy with them. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, these are flatter, so they actually work better for me and are more comfortable. If they fit the rear, I may get another set for my wife, she looked at the wider pegs on front, and mentioned how nice they'd be on the rear too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The rear pegs will fit with a little grinding. Be careful when you take off the rear pegs that you don't lose the little spring and ball from the original rear pegs. You then have to remove the little bracket that is there as well. It comes right off.

You have to file down the GL1800 pegs a little to make them fit. I took them down just enough so they fit snugly. This allows them to remain in the up position without the retaing mechanism from the original pegs. I imagine over time it will wear and they'll flop down on their own. I don't see that happening for a while. If you do this, make sure you file down both outer halves equally. That way you don't make one flange too thin. You'll see what I mean when you have the GW pegs. It supported my weight (240) without any issue being filed down. I don't know that I'd jump it but any woman that can fit that relatively small rear perch is going to weigh less than me. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I took some pics and will try and post them later. I just used a rasp type file at first and then followed up with a flat bastard to smooth it out. They look pretty good on there. I can easily go back to stock if I need.

As I mentioned I kept them a snug fit. They don't fall down. They also give more leg room as well for the passenger just like it does for the drive. I don't think I'll ever change the rear pegs back to the stock ones.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here are the photos of the GL1800i pegs mounted front and rear. You can see how much more room there is for the passenger as well. They fold up out of the way quite nicely.

There is still plenty of material to support the pegs even after I filed them to fit. Today I took it for a ride and rode off a few curbs while standing on the rear pegs. No breakage and I didn't feel any flex from the pegs that I could tell. They should still be strong enough for most people.

·
Registered
103 Posts
looks great. I am ordering a pair right now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
They are almost like miny floorboards. Easy to swap back to the stock if you don't like them. I keep my stock pair under the seat now in case I want to ride very agressively or more serious offroad. My fiance' loves the new pegs. It gives her a lot more flexibility with her leg position.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:thumbup:Wow this is great. (even though using GL pegs is probably old news to all of you) I'm currently still riding a cruiser(for sale) and looking for a Vee or Wee and the one thing that I love about my current bike is the floor boards. It'll be great to have the option to switch pegs if I find the Strom pegs to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Where are y'all ordering your 'wing pegs from? I tried looking but only found one or two on ebay for somewhat high prices and in rough condition....

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have an '06 Wing. I found a set right next to my Vee. :)

That took care of the test to make sure I liked them. Which I obviously did. While I had them off, I checked out to see how much work to make them fit the passenger. It looked easy enough to fit. So I started looked on some of the Goldwing forums. My favorite is the GL1800Riders .

A lot of really good people there. Just search through the classifieds. It took me about a week to get 2 sets. One used set was better than the originals on mine and they were in very good shape. Typically you are looking about $35-40 for a set shipped. I personally wouldn't pay more than that unless they were almost brand new. Just stalk the classified forums for a while and if you are patient, you should be able to pick them up for the price I said.

One note about this, I have noticed that demand has gone up recently for them so prices may rise a bit. Stock 1800 pegs wouldn't sell quickly and now they get snapped up in a matter of hours typically. Apparently the word is out. This is definitely the best forum that I belong to finding Wing farkles and parts for the 1800. Now that I've posted this link it will probably be a feeding frenzy of Strommers looking for pegs. I better get over there and get a backup set just in case. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts