StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is this a good price for how it is set up? One problem is he backed into the fairing with a Youhual truck and had to replace it along with the instruments so it reads 40k but he says its 19k miles and will sign a paper about that. Sounds very honest. Is replacing the instrument cluster make sense. Should I get this bike for $3500.

I never ride this bike anymore Time to sell or trade on a SnowCat.
It's 3" taller then stock so you better be tall. (5' 10" +) DR650 inner fork tubes, custom Sonic springs, Race Tech Cartridge Emulators, Etc. Rear is a longer custom Wilbers shock. I custom made the mounts for waterproof Darr boxes. It fits through most hotel doors! Heated grips, power outlet, new battery, Half tread Tourance rear, low tread original tire front. High fender kit. 500 miles on new DID gold 520 chain and sprockets. Bar risers/adapters, Fat bars, full wrap guards. Side guards. It has 19,500 miles. 50mpg! Special super quiet exhaust. Custom skid plate. Typical ADV scratches, dropped a few times when I couldn't put feet down! All maintenance up to date, ready to ride! Will include tow hitch! I used it to tow my trials bike a few times around the country. (67lb trailer not for sale)

Thanks for feedback. I think this is my bike but need some feedback. I don't mind waiting longer for the right deal.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
It's definitely a buyer's market, so why take a chance on a bike that seems the least bit dodgy, unless it happens to have something in particular that you really want (like the extended height)?

The trailer hitch is a red flag. On this bike, I would consider that abuse. Towing is very hard on small transmissions, and this motor isn't a good choice for that application, I think.

The emphasis on the age and condition of consumable parts is a distraction and, in my opinion, not a good sign. You're not shopping for tires and chains; you want a frame and motor that are in good condition. As for accessories, I can't blame him for mentioning the "upgrades", but they frankly are not relevant -- again, unless there's stuff there that you really want.

As far as the odometer goes, I frankly don't think the difference between 20k and 40k on this bike is nearly as significant as its condition. I'd want the actual mileage documented only to support the seller's credibility in general, not because I actually cared about the difference.

It's a beater, and should be priced as such. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This bike is a beater if I ever saw one! As such it should be prices accourdingly. For $3500 you can find some fine, low mileage DL650's. This is NOT one of them! I have a 2005 model with 8,000 miles on it that looks like it came out of the show room last month. The Blue book says its $3700. This bike looks like a train wreck next to mine.

The trailer hitch and the general condition of this thing would turn be away without further consideration, especially at that price. Keep looking...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agreed. I just picked up a 2007 with less than 8k miles for less than 4k US. And it was (well) farkled. Patience will pay off. This isn't a bike I'd rush out to buy...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just bought an '07 wee with more farkles than that thing with 9300 miles. It is much cleaner with almost no noticeable scratches or anything for $3800. Also had new battlewings and luggage.

And, it was not the only nice one around ...

As stated before, that whole trailer hitch thing is just a massive red flag. I wouldnt buy it for that alone ... And the odometer thing ?

You can find another bike much nicer than that with no "sillyness" ... I would pass ... Quickly ...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Ducati? with a beak? And a trailer?? With no proper instruments???

That poor bike looks abused and neglected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi,

Its a 2006 with clean title. My question is what the upgrades are worth and the extra height. Given that the odometer says 40k I guess I have to assume that is the mileage because he did not get it properly documented. I like the suspension upgrades and other stuff. He pulled a light weight track bike which added up would be like riding with a 150# gal and 50# of gear across the country. Is this considered hard on this bike? I think I'll wait for a nicer one to come up, or for a lower price from this guy. Given he buys houses I wonder if he is a wheeler dealer?? What would you offer?

I am still learning about the wee. What is wrong with the beak?

He says stock suspenion is crap. But I am used to stock KLR suspenion, so it seems by comparison it will be a BIG upgrade. I don't intend to off road much so perhaps these suspension upgrades are not worth anything to me. It may be a bit to tall 32" inseam. He is a 34" and can just flat foot it. Is the stock suspenion decent for 95% pavement?

Alternatively, when he gets back from a work assignment, he is going to sell the hitch, bars and ? seperately, so if you all want a hitch, it will be available for $300 he said.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wouldn't offer anything, I'd start looking elsewhere ... You are wasting your time with this bike. There are many others around that are nice and clean.

Pass ...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Offer him $3K and tell him to keep the mailboxes bolted to the arse end. Truthfully, 40K isn't unreasonable for a twin; you could expect to get many more miles out of it. But for a bike in general that's fairly high mileage so it could certainly be a bartering chip for you. The additions are worth some extra money, no doubt.

He seems to be pricing it like it's something sought after. Remind him that there are more of them around and that this is in less than desirable condition. What's the worst he'll say? No? :yesnod:

·
Registered
224 Posts
"it reads 40k but he says its 19k miles and will sign a paper about that. Sounds very honest" :nono:

If you want a nice DL650, I'd pass on this one at any price.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My question is what the upgrades are worth
By the book: nothing. To you: that depends on whether you have specific interest in the aftermarket equipment (I'm not sure I'd agree with the term "upgrades").

Given that the odometer says 40k I guess I have to assume that is the mileage because he did not get it properly documented.
I think that it would be safer to assume that the mileage is twice that. Did you consider that possibility? ;)

He pulled a light weight track bike
So he said ... :fineprint:

which added up would be like riding with a 150# gal and 50# of gear across the country.
I don't think sprung weight carried forward of the rear axle is equivalent to unsprung weight with added rolling resistance being dragged behind the bike. In addition to transmission and drivetrain load, various bearings are also being loaded in ways for which they weren't designed.

Is this considered hard on this bike?
I'm not qualified to say. I can say that any machine which has been used in a manner for which it was not designed has been, by definition, abused. As such, I would make no assumptions about its condition beyond that which I can plainly observe. And I can plainly observe that it's a beater. :biggrinjester:

Again, just my opinion, which is worth every penny you paid for it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another...

This is the only other one in my price range... at a local dealer. Higher miles at 34k but looks good. Boxes seem to be really expensive to add on later and I would like them, big bags. Asking $4299. Thought I would offer $3200 due to higher miles period. At least I will test ride it tomorrow to see what they ride like. I've only riden a KLR250 and my KLR650. My Honda 50cc Urban Express doesn't count :thumbup:

How much to add for mounted boxes?

How much to subtract for higher miles?

I appreciate all your kind replies and learning more. I know tons about the KLR and I'll soon know tons about the Wee if I find one priced right.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You need to shop more. Be willing to travel a bit and save a lot. There are some really nice low mileage bikes out there for fair prices if you look. Try one of the used bikes sites like cycletrader.com

I looked here just for fun. Scroll down the page and remember, these are ASKING prices.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 Motorcycles

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
@thatmonk

i am noticing that the two bikes you are asking about are ones that i have seen on my local craigslist listing around here? so i am assuming you are in the northwest somewhere??

if you are, i will tell you to pass on that red one for sure, it seems way too beat up for what he is asking, the other one i think looks decent enough to check out.

i have noticed that prices of wee's in the northwest seem to be a little more than they are elsewhere, but if you wait you will find what you are looking for...i found a K7 with just over 8K on the clock with quite a bit of farkles and got it for just a hair over $4K....the right wee will come...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Much better looking than the first one. As to the mileage versus luggage, it's going to be you're ride, so you have to decide. I call hard bags on the back of a dual-sport bike "ankle breakers" --depending on how/where you want to ride the wee. If I were buying, I'd look for a clean '06+ with 5,000 to 10,000 miles for $3,000-$4,000 and do the luggage on my own. Luggage doesn't break down on the road, or wonder what a PO did to a bike vis use or maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Much better looking than the first one. As to the mileage versus luggage, it's going to be you're ride, so you have to decide. I call hard bags on the back of a dual-sport bike "ankle breakers" --depending on how/where you want to ride the wee. If I were buying, I'd look for a clean '06+ with 5,000 to 10,000 miles for $3,000-$4,000 and do the luggage on my own. Luggage doesn't break down on the road, or wonder what a PO did to a bike vis use or maintenance.
Thanks,

I'll offer the dealer $3000 and they keep the hard panniers or $3200 and I'll sell them here.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Hi,

Its a 2006 with clean title. My question is what the upgrades are worth and the extra height. Given he buys houses I wonder if he is a wheeler dealer?? What would you offer?

I am still learning about the wee. What is wrong with the beak?

A vehicle towing extra weight will have more worn parts.

Upgrades on any vehicle are not worth much according to the KBB site. That's why many people de-farkle a bike before selling. Example - a $400.00 case is worth $25.00 on the bike, .... $250 - 350 off of the bike.
Same with engine gaurds, lights, etc.

The beak is not original, I think it's intended for major off roading, extra space between tire and gaurd for more mud accumilation.

KBB shows low blue book value at $2785.00 - no way would he get that from a dealer in this condition. No legal papers on the speedo ??? Illegal in some states I hear.
If I were interested ....$1K

1 - 20 of 27 Posts