StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM Adventure Engine guards. The gap between plastic and bars is different on each side. One gap is 3X the other. I never noticed how it was when I purchased the bike. Since then, there were a few slight impacts on the guards. :mrgreen:

Left side

Right side

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think if it was my bike, I would pull the close side out a little. Not so much because of appearance but if the bike falls on that side with the bars as they are now, the bar might get into the fairling.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if it was my bike, I would pull the close side out a little. Not so much because of appearance but if the bike falls on that side with the bars as they are now, the bar might get into the fairling.
Yes, I agree with that. I am also wondering if the gaps are asymmetrical from the factory.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For all practical purposes mine is symmetrical. About 7/8 at the rear side and about 21/4 on the front, measuring at the same points on each side. I would want to know why it's off, whether bent or missing or misplaced spacer. If bent I would try to ascertain where and bend it back if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Itm ight just bent al ittle bit. Doesn't look like it's that big of a deal honestly, It's going to be bent anyways.. It's not so much a big deal. I would just live with it, I don't like bending things back because it might actually cause more damage than it'd fix!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would want to know why it's off, whether bent or missing or misplaced spacer.
I am sure it is my fault. Go to 4:17 and you will see how/when it got bent. This is the only time the left side guard took a hit. I am on the fence about bending it back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They seem to have done what you paid for them to do.

Live with them bend them back or replace.

I think there was a thread on thei site about using ratchet straps to bend them back

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please know I am not complaining; just contemplating my next move. Bending them back will weaken them. If I replace them, I need to research alternatives to the OEM bars. I seem to remember significant discussion on that topic.

They seem to have done what you paid for them to do.

Live with them bend them back or replace.

I think there was a thread on thei site about using ratchet straps to bend them back

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Fixed in 5 minutes; one person.

I read all the threads about the pros and cons of bending the guards back to OEM specs. In addition, I read the thread where the guy used a 2 x 4 and a pry bar. That looked over complicated.

I did this myself with a pry bar and the bike was very stable. I positioned the pry bar as pictured, reached over the bike and grabbed the luggage rack and leaned into the pry bar.

After an initial try, it was apparent the bars were willing to bend rather easily. It took three cautious attempts and I was done.

After the adjustment

Before the adjustment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts