StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've found a 2019 650XT Touring bike discounted to $7747.25. The out the door price after everything including taxes, registration, etc is $9200. Looking at the itemized offer I can't see anything amiss. This is my first bike ever and have no experience with motorcycle dealers. So far I am not impressed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
192 Posts
to be 100% honest, I wouldn't buy a brand new bike for your first ever motorcycle. you are going to drop it, everybody does.

I'm not talking about an accident on the road, i mean in the driveway, at a light, practicing in a parking lot, etc, etc..

i would recomend something used that you're not going to be in bits if / when you scratch it up. a used dual sport is an excellent learner, if you have the inseam for it and i assume you do if your looking at strom. it's much lighter and allows you to practice on the dirt where mistakes dont hurt as much and they happen at much slower speeds..... and there's less people to laugh at you.

can't comment on the price, not sure what the market in italy is like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be 100% honest, I wouldn't buy a brand new bike for your first ever motorcycle. you are going to drop it, everybody does.

I'm not talking about an accident on the road, i mean in the driveway, at a light, practicing in a parking lot, etc, etc..

i would recomend something used that you're not going to be in bits if / when you scratch it up. a used dual sport is an excellent learner, if you have the inseam for it and i assume you do if your looking at strom. it's much lighter and allows you to practice on the dirt where mistakes dont hurt as much and they happen at much slower speeds..... and there's less people to laugh at you.

can't comment on the price, not sure what the market in italy is like.
Thanks. Sorry, I'm in TX ya'll, my VPN appears to have chosen Italy tonight. I'm 6' and 250 and have no problem touching the ground on one. I'm just not into the Honda Rebel or CB500x bikes. Reading and watching tons of youtube videos, I think I could work into it. Frame sliders would be definitely added.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there a reason it has to be new off the lot? Practically speaking, you'd be better off buying used unless you're getting a smoking deal on the interest rate or money off the purchase price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dealer here has 3 new old stock 2019 650xt’s for 6883 a piece. I’m picking one up next weekend as my first bike. For less than 7k why wouldn’t you buy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know what these are going for here, but I saw the local dealer does have a red one on the floor. Do they list at about $10,600? I have added all the XT options to my 2017 except for the spoked wheels. For context, I paid $8000 out the door new in '18, and got the OEM side cases for free. The handguards, crash bars, centerstand, and plastic belly guard cost me about $800 or so. I'm very happy at that. Your price is not much more, and you're getting the spokes, if that makes a difference to you. I guess I'd say the dealer has a little more to give. But in my humble opinion the value is there. You make it a better deal by keeping it nice and keeping it longer.
There's something nice about buying a new bike if you can afford it. You could save a few thousand buying used. I'm glad I bought new, but I also try to keep it like new. That's just me.
Do keep in mind you will need to spend considerable money on gear and insurance and other goodies. Best, DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know what these are going for here, but I saw the local dealer does have a red one on the floor. Do they list at about $10,600? I have added all the XT options to my 2017 except for the spoked wheels. For context, I paid $8000 out the door new in '18, and got the OEM side cases for free. The handguards, crash bars, centerstand, and plastic belly guard cost me about $800 or so. I'm very happy at that. Your price is not much more, and you're getting the spokes, if that makes a difference to you. I guess I'd say the dealer has a little more to give. But in my humble opinion the value is there. You make it a better deal by keeping it nice and keeping it longer.
There's something nice about buying a new bike if you can afford it. You could save a few thousand buying used. I'm glad I bought new, but I also try to keep it like new. That's just me.
Do keep in mind you will need to spend considerable money on gear and insurance and other goodies. Best, DD
Oh yea. I’ve already bought my jacket helmet and gloves. And as far as insurance that’s no problem. My wife and I own a farmers insurance agency. Plus we sold our house and made 180k profit so she told me I can finally buy a bike up to 10k in exchange for me to quit chewing. I threw away my cans of chew immediately so for me a brand new bike is what I want. I want something to keep nice and cherish like my other vehicles. I don’t like abusing my stuff. Besides some crash bars and hard bags will protect it from lost drops

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure if they would ship but better prices out there.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Price seems to be way more than I paid for my base model a couple of years ago. ($5300 plus sales tax) I'm 5 foot 9 and I do feel I will drop this bike one day at a stop light. Hope my legs get out of the way. Engine wise, it is an excellent first bike as the fueling is spot on and power characteristics mellow till you wind it out. (Then it goes!)vHope you take a riding course before venturing out amongst the crazy drivers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So I've found a 2019 650XT Touring bike discounted to $7747.25. The out the door price after everything including taxes, registration, etc is $9200. Looking at the itemized offer I can't see anything amiss. This is my first bike ever and have no experience with motorcycle dealers. So far I am not impressed. Thoughts?
What made you write that you are “not impressed” by the dealership? Everything else sounded positive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price sounds reasonable enough. I bought a 2019 650xt last fall and I love it. I support buying new. Suzuki finally got the Snatchy low RPM throttle smoothed out on the new bikes and it really makes starting out and low speed maneuvers a dream. I had an older Strom previously and had to put a throttle tamer on it. As a new rider the 2019 will be much easier for you so I totally support you buying new.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Price seems to be way more than I paid for my base model a couple of years ago. ($5300 plus sales tax) I'm 5 foot 9 and I do feel I will drop this bike one day at a stop light. Hope my legs get out of the way. Engine wise, it is an excellent first bike as the fueling is spot on and power characteristics mellow till you wind it out. (Then it goes!)vHope you take a riding course before venturing out amongst the crazy drivers.
Not 5300 CAD?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd say the best part of this deal is that you quit chewing. Congratulations. Stick to it and enjoy your new bike. I think we all agree here, you're going to love this bike. Let us know when the deal gets done. Welcome to the V-Strom family. Best, DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say the best part of this deal is that you quit chewing. Congratulations. Stick to it and enjoy your new bike. I think we all agree here, you're going to love this bike. Let us know when the deal gets done. Welcome to the V-Strom family. Best, DD
Thanks man. I’m actually leaning towards a 1000 now. My dealership has one for 8100. 10388 after tax title liscence and all that. It’s a 2018 but it’s old stock still brand new. Is that a good deal you guys think? And it’s a base model.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a 2019 DL1000 XT Adventure used "demo model" (she was a show bike, s/n 000002) with 1836 miles on it for $10995 USD. It came to just over $13k OTD and they threw in an HJC i90 modular helmet and a skull cap (I can't stand sweating directly into my helmet, lol) as part of the deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you'll be happy with either bike, regardless. Is there any reason you are now leaning toward the 1000? It is heavier and burns more fuel, so something to consider depending on your planned riding style.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you'll be happy with either bike, regardless. Is there any reason you are now leaning toward the 1000? It is heavier and burns more fuel, so something to consider depending on your planned riding style.
Riding 2 up with my wife and gear through the cascade mountains with my wife and also teips other places.and commuting on freeway. I’m 6’2 280lbs so it might fit a tad better for us

1 - 20 of 31 Posts