StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this august I am looking at riding from Georgia to Zion National Park. My plan is hitting AL,TN,KY,MO,KS,CO, then cut down thru the four cornres into NM, AZ, then up to Zion. I'm thinking of coming home by way of northern TX, then work my way back east somehow. Considering the August heat, what do you think of the plan?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just use common sense. Take lots of breaks. Drink LOTS of water. Wet down your shirt and keep another layer over it. Use lots of sunscreen.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
You're from Georgia. Hopefully, your weather will have conditioned you for the heat. You will have to hydrate even when you don't feel it, because some of the time out west, you will not feel the perspiration like back home. But you will be losing water just the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heat wise you should be fine with lots of water breaks. You might want to stay in S Utah route wise. Canyon Lands, Arches, Bryce and Zion all worth seeing. Also Moab if you want more dirt, but it will be hotter...

·
Registered
453 Posts
this august I am looking at riding from Georgia...... Considering the August heat, what do you think of the plan?
With you being from Georgia... the saying out west is ...."at least it's a dry heat"
August, is the monsoon/summer rain and thunderstorm season. Sounds like a fun trip.... post a "as your traveling" ride report, would enjoy reading and seeing your pictures

·
Registered
90 Posts
this august I am looking at riding from Georgia to Zion National Park. My plan is hitting AL,TN,KY,MO,KS,CO, then cut down thru the four cornres into NM, AZ, then up to Zion. I'm thinking of coming home by way of northern TX, then work my way back east somehow. Considering the August heat, what do you think of the plan?
I took a similar trip two years ago from Atlanta in July. I rigged an insulated gallon water jug to a camelback bite valve using ice maker supply tubing. Kept it full of ice water and sipped almost constantly in the heat. Used some of the water to drip into sleeves and collar to extend cooling time of wet shirt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. One more question.. Do those cooling vests work as they advertise out there? I know in Georiga with the high humidity they are not worth a flip.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Skin temperature in hot weather is about 95F. If the air is hotter than that, the air will heat your body. Too much ventilation raises the body temp. In the hot dry regions you want limited ventilation over an evaporative layer. The cooling garments work, but so does a sweatshirt that is kept damp, or a cotton shirt that is kept damp.

Drink water. Maybe some diluted fruit juice or diluted sports drink sometimes. Don't drink too much sugar. If you can't pee, you're dehydrated. You can crash due to dehydration, the way it makes the brain function. You can also crash due to excessive hydration...low sodium in the body.
What The Color of Your Urine Says About You (Infographic) — Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts