StromTrooper banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
There is a free app called Fuelly that you can use for all your vehicles to track mileage, maintenance, etc. I can always tell when the switch to/from winter gas up here as my mileage takes a hit on the car/truck. View attachment 281334
For those of us who live in the land of gallons and inches:
  • Avg 8.1L/100km = 29.04mpg
  • Last 7.9L/100km = 29.77mpg
  • Best 7.1L/100km = 33.13mpg

·
Registered
848 Posts
Calculator and divide miles traveled by gallons added.is the only accurate way.

Over the summer I ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the gas station. Fuel counter said I had 10 miles until empty. I put well over 6 gallons in a 5.3 gallon tank.
:oops: What kind of range did you get? I wonder if the pump's meter was off. I ran into that once at a station in Valley Springs, SD- almost 21 gal in a 18 gal tank; should have been ~17ish.

·
Administrator
17,758 Posts
The odo on the bike is pretty accurate. Usually within a percent or two if the GPS.

..Tom
I've been pleasantly surprised with my Tracer's odometer and speedometer, unlike any other bike I've owned, the speedo is only 1 mph off at any speed above 45 mph. Also it gets every bit the gas mileage of my ole 650 with almost double the hp and grin factor.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised with my Tracer's odometer and speedometer, unlike any other bike I've owned, the speedo is only 1 mph off at any speed above 45 mph.
My Tenere is the same way. The trip computer also shows the correct mpg. I checked it by the old odometer versus gas pump quantity and it was nuts on. I am getting around 52 mpg still.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gen 2 650 has it built in already. Speedo must be accurate though, usually 10% high.

I use freeway mileage signs sometimes even. No GPS for me. Old school. ;)
This fact drives me crazy. Can't trust the Speedo/Odo.
I'm always mentally adjusting speed as I ride.
I now use my phone/app for speed and GPS mileage.
So can calculate true MPGs and range.
PITA

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
PITA
The odometer is usually within a percent or two depending on tire wear, inflation etc.

..Tom

·
Registered
848 Posts
PITA
@richlandrick of Adventuretech sells these recalabration devices and ships overseas You may know that he is a member of this forum.
Like others, I find the odometer is quite accurate, the speedometer optimistic, and I usually have a gps mounted. When I don't, I am familiar enough with the bike now that I just ride an indicated 5mph/8kmh over the posted limit.

·
Registered
V-Strom 650 XT 2021 Euro5, Yamaha 2007 XMax 250 Euro3
9 Posts
I use Drivvo to manage my vehicles costs, you can find it in google and other smartphone app stores
You have a tone of statistics, on fuel, cost per KM/mile, drive per month per day etc..
I enter as well all my maintenance and repairs, can even take a picture of the invoice etc...

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I was on a ride once when I noticed my range to empty was exactly the same as my GPS had as my distance to my destination.

I watched both readings till I got to my destination and they both matched perfectly all the way, with every kilometre closer I got to my destination my range also dropped by a kilometre.

That's on a V2, I was quite impressed.

Reactions: Solarguy and V-Tom

·
Registered
396 Posts
I second the fuelly app, use it for all my vehicles. You'll have a nice history, visually be able to tell if something is wrong if mpg drops dramatically. it takes seconds to do at every fill up. Although the bike mpg is accurate, it doesnt keep history, which is more important than seeing at every fill up and forgetting, unless you keep it somewhere.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I second the fuelly app, use it for all my vehicles. You'll have a nice history, visually be able to tell if something is wrong if mpg drops dramatically. it takes seconds to do at every fill up. Although the bike mpg is accurate, it doesnt keep history, which is more important than seeing at every fill up and forgetting, unless you keep it somewhere.
That's how I picked up that my wife's car had an issue. Her Mazda 3 usually get's spectacular fuel economy, 40 in the winter, 45'ish in the summer. It suddenly dropped 5 mpg. Rear caliper was dragging.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is from an post on this site from 2014. Look into the FuelBot. Forum member blue72beetle bought a seat from me and I noticed his bike had an interesting fuel gage just below the dash. I contacted the developer and have had a FuelBot on my 2014 ever since. I don't think you'll get instantaneous mpg but might be a nice add on for your 2011. Calculates your trip miles, mpg, distance til empty, gallons used, gallons remaining, % of tank remaining, etc. ... several display modes to choose from. I mounted mine under an Adventure Tech V-Strom Auxilliary shelf.

The FuelBot (the big LCD display) is really amazing. Designed by a guy on the SV Forum, I was the first to put it on a V-Strom. It plugs into your speed sensor and taps into the 1st fuel injector and keeps track of how much fuel you use. It's super accurate and can display a bunch of info such as, distance to empty, % tank remaining, gallons remaining, avg mpg, miles. I had planned on putting one on my SV but sold the bike before I ever did. With the V-Strom having the same engine I knew it would work on one as well. It's nice to have that kind of info available since the V-Strom fuel gauge isn't the greatest. I can't wait to really start to use it when the weather gets nice.
FuelBot: Fuel Gauge and MPG Gauge for the SV650 - Anyone interested? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

The button on the left changes the FuelBot modes and the one on the right displays the temp on the GPI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been using the My Cars app (My Cars (Fuel logger++) - Apps on Google Play) for over a decade now. You can use it for fuel economy only or total cost of ownership if you enter in every expense. Below is the fuel economy chart for my 2011 V-Strom 650, new to me in 2015.

While I don't plan on doing a TCO for the bikes, I tracked TCO as much as possible for the 8 years and 140,000 km I owned a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Yup, $24 per day or $0.51 per km. So when you drive 10 km out of your way to save on gas, you had better be saving over $5 otherwise you are losing money. ;-)
Hope that helps,
Tim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup, some of us are data nerds. I've been tracking mileage on my cars and bikes since the 70s. Hey, I also keep a spreadsheet of my home utility bills and average monthly temps. Call me OCD - actually, don't bother; my wife already beat you to it.

I use Fuelly, but it isn't really convenient. For daily/weekly fillups, I track data on an app called FillUp, although there are dozens of similar phone apps to do the same thing. My experience checking my Wee's mileage meter against the calculated MPG at a gas stop is that the Wee is extremely accurate - it usually reads about 1/2 to 3/4 mpg lower than calculated mileage. Way better than any built-in computers of cars I've owned.

If you want to check real-time mileage on a '12 or newer Wee, there's a way to do it. The Wee has two trip odometers and two mileage meters. You can reset one or the other occasionally, and observe your real-time mileage under your current circumstances - climbing a hill, coasting along at 50mph, whatever. It isn't elegant, and it requires manual input every time you want to check it. But it will work.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been using the My Cars app (My Cars (Fuel logger++) - Apps on Google Play) for over a decade now. You can use it for fuel economy only or total cost of ownership if you enter in every expense. Below is the fuel economy chart for my 2011 V-Strom 650, new to me in 2015.
View attachment 281491
While I don't plan on doing a TCO for the bikes, I tracked TCO as much as possible for the 8 years and 140,000 km I owned a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
View attachment 281492
Yup, $24 per day or $0.51 per km. So when you drive 10 km out of your way to save on gas, you had better be saving over $5 otherwise you are losing money. ;-)
Hope that helps,
Tim
I use the same , I find it very handy. I also prefer the measure in km/l so I now how many km I can make once I hit the first and second warning for low fuel. it's around 90-100km for the first waring 45-50km for the second one.
Also as soon as I detect a strange drop in fuel consumption, I know something is not right , air filter could be dirty, spark plugs could be old, I may have been riding a bit like an maniac .... many options .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Japanese motorcycles don't do OBD 2, or any other flavor of OBD. Is there any way to hack a fuel economy meter??

I have been interested in fuel economy in all my vehicles for decades, and our two cars have all kinds of built in ways to monitor fuel economy, including a pretty good estimate of instantaneous fuel economy.

This is definitely in the "nice to have" category, not the "essential" category. Of course, I record and calculate fuel economy at every fill up, but that's a far cry from instantaneous fuel economy. And certainly, the argument could be made that less distractions on the motorcycle are a safety thing.

Wondering if anyone has explored this on any of the Stroms.
Hi Solarguy
You should have started with what bike / model / year do you have.
I had a 2016 V-strom 650 XT, it shows average fuel consumption per trip (I can't remember is it has instant fuel consumption as well)
Now I have a 2018 V-strom 650 XT and it shows instant fuel consumption and average fuel consumption per trip.
In both you can change the units miles/gallon ; km/l ; l/100 km

·
Registered
30 Posts
Solarguy, I’m sorry that very few people actually bothered reading your entire post. Specifically, “Of course, I record and calculate fuel economy at every fill up, but that's a far cry from instantaneous fuel economy.” Obviously, you know how to do the math.

Regarding accurate miles travelled, I have verified my speedometer and odometer using three GPS devices. My speedometer reads 10% high. At 50 mph, it reads 55. My odometer reads 4.5% high. At 100 actual miles, it reads 104.5 miles. There’s a product called Speedo Healer that allows corrects the signal going to the speedometer. I’m content to do the math in my head for watching my speed on short rides. If I’m taking a longer ride, I set my Garmin to data mode. It’s also nice for recording moving time Vs stopped time, and max speed hit, if you’re a data geek like me.

My Ford Expedition displays average mpg. It’s very optimistic compared to the calculator. The only value it provides is a relative comparison. It may say I’m getting 15 mpg in town, but increase to 16.5 if I’m driving longer stretches of country roads. On the highway it may say 19 mpg, but when I get into the mountains I watch it drop to 17.5. And when I’m pulling my cargo trailer it drops to 11 mpg. I’m sure all of those numbers are higher than the actual mileage, but it provides a reference.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi Solarguy
You should have started with what bike / model / year do you have.
I had a 2016 V-strom 650 XT, it shows average fuel consumption per trip (I can't remember is it has instant fuel consumption as well)
Now I have a 2018 V-strom 650 XT and it shows instant fuel consumption and average fuel consumption per trip.
In both you can change the units miles/gallon ; km/l ; l/100 km
[/QUOTE]

You're right, totally my bad. Not sure why it doesn't show up as my tag line. 2011 650 V-Strom with 26,000 miles on it.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts