StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Japanese motorcycles don't do OBD 2, or any other flavor of OBD. Is there any way to hack a fuel economy meter??

I have been interested in fuel economy in all my vehicles for decades, and our two cars have all kinds of built in ways to monitor fuel economy, including a pretty good estimate of instantaneous fuel economy.

This is definitely in the "nice to have" category, not the "essential" category. Of course, I record and calculate fuel economy at every fill up, but that's a far cry from instantaneous fuel economy. And certainly, the argument could be made that less distractions on the motorcycle are a safety thing.

Wondering if anyone has explored this on any of the Stroms.

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
30 Posts
Go old school if you want real numbers. Often the computed numbers don’t align with what’s really happening. My VW is off by up to 10%.

Fill tank, reset ODO. Next fillup write down mileage and how much fuel you added, then compute and reset the ODO again for the next tank.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Go old school if you want real numbers. Often the computed numbers don’t align with what’s really happening. My VW is off by up to 10%.

Fill tank, reset ODO. Next fillup write down mileage and how much fuel you added, then compute and reset the ODO again for the next tank.
Calculator and divide miles traveled by gallons added.is the only accurate way.

Over the summer I ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the gas station. Fuel counter said I had 10 miles until empty. I put well over 6 gallons in a 5.3 gallon tank.

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
I use my GPS for the accurate mileage.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You haven't lived until you have ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere. ;)

You have to see the blessings in difficult situations.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I intend to verify the accuracy of the odometer and speedometer this summer. 2011 gen 1. No instantaneous FE for me it looks like.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I was surprised to find the "fuel used" in my car, a 2004 Holden is adjustable.

Start at zero, do up to 500ks, fill the tank, tell the car how much fuel you put in the tank, check the next fill, all done.

It has always been spot on, I often put 74lt in my 75lt tank because I can trust the reading.

If you change wheel sizes like I have you just adjust it again, I think it should be standard on all vehicles, I love the confidence it gives me.

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
30 Posts
There is a free app called Fuelly that you can use for all your vehicles to track mileage, maintenance, etc. I can always tell when the switch to/from winter gas up here as my mileage takes a hit on the car/truck.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
I use my GPS for the accurate mileage.
The odo on the bike is pretty accurate. Usually within a percent or two if the GPS.

..Tom

·
Registered
499 Posts
The odo on the bike is pretty accurate. Usually within a percent or two if the GPS.

..Tom
Unless there has been a gearing change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Calculator and divide miles traveled by gallons added.is the only accurate way.

Over the summer I ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the gas station. Fuel counter said I had 10 miles until empty. I put well over 6 gallons in a 5.3 gallon tank.
My 2018 1000 DL range estimator locks up a various miles from empty and does not count down.
Usually it is somewhere around 35 miles to empty and just sits at 35.
I've had it happen when I was looking at 66 miles and also when in the 20s.
Anybody else seen this?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
My 2018 1000 DL range estimator locks up a various miles from empty and does not count down.
Anybody else seen this?
Mine wasn't Suzuki but universally these fuel counters are good at letting you know there may or may not be fuel in the tank, amount unknown.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
From the OPs post, it appears that they are familiar with calculating fuel mileage. He is looking for real time fuel flow data, perhaps monitoring the ECU as you can do with cars.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Anybody else seen this?
It bases its range over the last 15 km of riding. If you had been riding aggressively it will show a shorter range. If you start riding gently at lower speeds the range can stop decreasing or even start increasing. This is most likely what you are seeing but if it just stays at 35 miles (or whatever miles) forever something is wrong.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Anybody else seen this?
On my 18 1000 the countdown feature does something similar, but maybe not quite that bad.
The instantaneous reading is nice to see how mileage is affected by how heavy handed you are.
The trip 1 & 2 averages on mine are quite accurate(One MPG off at most) and what I usually use. Taking the avg MPG and trip mileage give me a reasonable estimate of fuel left.
To the OP, If its important enough to you, maybe an upgrade to a newer Strom. Also other perks with the newer models. Loved my 05 650 for 122K, but the newer one is pleasantly better.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Anybody else seen this?
My bmw f800gt would count down miles on tank and then switch with the low fuel light to counting miles up. Threw me off every time. Aggravating engineers.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The modern DL's will display current l/100km and probably mpg. It's a mode setting (somewhere), along with battery voltage and temperature

Sortof useful if you want to know what the most economical gear and speed is for a particular bit of road. Certainly tells you that taking R1's at the lights is expensive.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts