StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there another power supply available besides the heated grip connector? I want to wire in a GPS and I'm already using the heated grip connector. I don't really have the need for a fuse block. I was hoping to find something (preferably switched, but not necessary) on a plug up front. Any ideas??

SS

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Just run it to the battery with an inline fuse. A GPS doesn't have to be switched off like the heated grips

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

SS

·
Registered
806 Posts
A gps on a switched circuit is a pain in the ass. Every time you stop and turn your bike off, even for a second the gps has to boot up and lock onto location again. My gps is only 5 volts and 1 amp.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A gps on a switched circuit is a pain in the ass. Every time you stop and turn your bike off, even for a second the gps has to boot up and lock onto location again. My gps is only 5 volts and 1 amp.
I see your point. That being the case, I can draw power from anywhere I suppose.

SS

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mine has a battery backup. It will ask me to push any button within 30 seconds of losing power, if I do it stays on using its onboard batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has a battery backup. It will ask me to push any button within 30 seconds of losing power, if I do it stays on using its onboard batteries.
Mine is similar (3 hours on battery power). Mine turns off after 10 seconds unless you push a button and tell it to stay on.
I'd still like to find a power source up under the fairing. If not then I'll be running it to the battery I suppose.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Eastern Beaver has what you want. Takes power from a switched curcuit using a connecter under the rear of the tank. You have to lift the tank a couple of inched to get to it, but it is neat and simple. Takes about a week to get something shipped from Jim to my home in Maine.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html#brakeadaptor
Great, thanks. I'll check it out.

I just ordered the adaptor. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

SS

SS

·
Registered
22,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is an auxillary fuesblock absolutely necessary, no, but its the easiest and best option

I agree, a fuse block is great. If I was planning to run any other accessories, such as heated clothing or aux lights, I would definitely use one. My intention is to run the GPS only and a fuse block seems like over-kill.

Your point on killing the battery is a good one. This is something I was concerned with. The Eastern Beaver adapter harness will solve this problem.

SS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts