StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Vee for almost 3 weeks now, and it's freaking rediculous trying to get it off the center stand. On my FJR, I usually sit on the bike, and rock it forward. This works sometimes on the Vee, but I have to put everything I have it it. The last few times, i've been standing on the left side of the bike, and jamming the handlebars forward.

Today, I was working on it in the garage. On the smooth surface of the garage, the stand does not want to collapse. I jammed the bike forward, and the whole bike and stand would actually scoot forward (bump bump bump bump bump). I tried this several times, but the garage floor is smooth, so it would continue to scoot forward, staying upright on the stand.

Is there a trick to the vstroms?

Thansk, Lucas

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my wee, I usually do it *seated, leaning the bike back on the rear tire. Then rock it forward. Takes little effort on my part.

I can do it the same way if I'm standing next to it (I make sure my front wheel is straight). Lean it back, push it forward and let its own momentum take it off the stand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Make sure the kickstand is down and the transmission is in neutral. Stand on the left side of the bike, and turn the handlebars full right (away from you). Grab the left side bar of the luggage rack with your right hand and the left side handlebar with your left hand. Stand the bike upright (leaning neither left nor right) and put your knee right into the side of the seat. Pull back. It should go up easily onto the centerstand. It takes some practice--keep trying. A smooth/slippery floor makes it harder, but the above technique should still work. If not, put some cardboard down under the point where the centerstand meets the floor and do the above. Turning the bars full right feels a little strange vis dropping the bike, but you'll immediately realize that it makes sense.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ooops, I see your problem is getting it *off* the centerstand. But, the technique I mentioned should work to get it off as well, just do it the same way, but push the bike forward as opposed to backward.

·
Registered
808 Posts
when my wee is unloaded, honestly, I just pull it off the centerstand and hop on. same when I park, I just hop off and throw it on the centerstand, without even using the sidestand.

The rocking method usually works unladen, but I have to be careful to make sure I'm rocking FORWARD and not just pushing down on the bars, making the bike teeter-totter on the centerstand.

if it's got a bunch of luggage on it, I'll put the sidestand down, yank the bike off the centerstand, then set it on the sidestand, THEN hop on. The extra weight of gear (not to mention the added difficulty of swinging my leg over luggage) means it makes sense to get it on the sidestand first.

with luggage on, I find it very difficult to rock the bike off of the centerstand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The centerstand isn't engineered to hold the weight of a rider, so you shouldn't sit on the bike while it's on the centerstand--and especially not sit on it and "roll-off". You'll eventually strip the threads of the mounting points.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The centerstand isn't engineered to hold the weight of a rider, so you shouldn't sit on the bike while it's on the centerstand--and especially not sit on it and "roll-off". You'll eventually strip the threads of the mounting points.
The Happy Trails center stand is the only one that claims to be a work stand only and is not meant to also support a rider. Others don't have a problem. I take mine off the center stand astride and rocking just about every time.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
On my wee, I usually do it *seated, leaning the bike back on the rear tire. Then rock it forward. Takes little effort on my part.

I can do it the same way if I'm standing next to it (I make sure my front wheel is straight). Lean it back, push it forward and let its own momentum take it off the stand.
I do something similar. Actually, I stand up on the pegs and then sit down quickly with a forward motion. It gently rocks the bike off my SW-Motech center stand.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I doubt that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
stand on the right side, opposite to the side stand which you put down, grab the grab rail with left hand, right hand on handle bar, pull forward off the centre stand, sit it on the side stand. There is a lot of stands in that sentence but the method works.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...the stand does not want to collapse. I jammed the bike forward, and the whole bike and stand would actually scoot forward...
Perhaps some disassembly and lube are in order. I don't have any real problem rocking my Wee off the c'stand, but notice the stand doesn't usually flip up on it's own. Will look into cleaning and greasing it up someday.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sit, rock & roll...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
FWIW, if the bike has been lowered, getting it up onto the centerstand and off again becomes much harder.

Just about any centerstand will skid on a smooth surface like a garage floor or lift. If this happens, I put my foot in front of the centerstand to keep it from sliding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, if the bike has been lowered, getting it up onto the centerstand and off again becomes much harder.

Just about any centerstand will skid on a smooth surface like a garage floor or lift. If this happens, I put my foot in front of the centerstand to keep it from sliding.
I think i'll try this next time. Use my boot as a chock for the stand. I also failed to mention to everyone that i've got about 100 lbs of gear strapped to the back. I've just never had this problem on the FJR. I always sit on the seat, lean back on the rear tire, and then rock forward. Doing this on the Vee only gets the whole bike scooting forward on the stand.

I also tried the method of standing on the side and lifting on the rear grab rail. This made the bike try to spin in a circle on the center stand.

Also, the center stand is good and lubed right now. It operates smoothly when it does work.

Lucas

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's my way ---

Stand on the left, front wheel straight ahead, side stand down and bumped forward (for confirmation) by my foot, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the rear grab (cargo rack), if the stand slips, one foot against its front side, then pull the bike back against the stand and let it spring forward with a forward nudge from the hands.

Also, could there be wear or "improvements" by a previous owner that lets the stand go to too much angle forward? If so, the contact points may need to be built up by a welder then filed down to the right point, just a mm or two, test it with shims first.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
the garage floor is smooth, so it would continue to scoot forward, staying upright on the stand. Is there a trick to the vstroms?

Same problem. Finally placed a small rubber floor mat / outdoor rug type of a deal under the where it's parked. No more sliding forward. :yesnod:

·
Registered
808 Posts
stand on the right side, opposite to the side stand which you put down, grab the grab rail with left hand, right hand on handle bar, pull forward off the centre stand, sit it on the side stand. There is a lot of stands in that sentence but the method works.
I'd never do this from the right side. If you forget to put down the sidestand, you're SOL. Or if the bike scrapes the sidestand and moves it partway up while you're rocking it off the centerstand, same story.

I always do it from the left side, left hand on the bars, right hand on the rack. The bike rolls forward maybe 4-5 inches. No problem to control.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here's how I do it. Stand on the left side of the bike, facing forward with right hip against the seat's low point. Leave the sidestand up (a 1000 is heavy enough to bounce off the sidestand which tosses the bike back to the right). Grab both handgrips, apply the front brake with your right hand. Tip the bike to the left supporting the partial weight of the bike on your right hip. The bike is now resting on the left support of the centerstand (the right support is off the ground by ~1" or so). Ease off the brake just enough so you can gently roll the bike off the centerstand with your arms; never fully release the brake so you can maintain total control. The instant the rear wheel drops to the pavement, reapply the front brake to stop the bike from moving any further. Note you have total control, the bike is resting on both wheels, you are still supporting it with your hip, and you have both hands on the grips and the brake is applied. Now put the sidestand down to support the bike and so you can release the handgrips. You cannot drop the bike using this method.

Steve

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have been try to master the ride away, right off the stand, but its tough. I typically try it leaving work....when no one is around...naturally....till I get it right!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I gota ask. Have you checked the stand for easy operation when the bike is on the side stand? Could be the pivot/ hinge bolts have been over torqued and are now preventing the stand from swinging properly. For you to be able to push the bike forward on cement is hard to believe. I think there is something wrong with the installation or the stand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts