StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a Motech stand on my bike (already installed when I bought it) and I can't for the life of me pop the bike up on it. I'm decent sized guy, 6'2" and 220# and I've tried everything I can think of to get it work. Does anyone know if the stand is adjustable?
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
cookcoeng said:
have a Motech stand on my bike (already installed when I bought it) and I can't for the life of me pop the bike up on it. I'm decent sized guy, 6'2" and 220# and I've tried everything I can think of to get it work. Does anyone know if the stand is adjustable?
Thanks in advance
All you gotta do is use your weight....left hand on handlebar, right hand under tail rack, step down on footstand with all weight and the bike will pop right up!! If it doesn't, you still are doing it wrong, or you have a stand not working right. This is the easiest bike that I have "ever" gotten up on a stand.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Only thing to add to BigB's comments - and I would not have thought about this until I saw someone trying to get his bike on the centerstand and having trouble...

After you grab the handle bars with the left hand, and the frame/tail piece with your right, press down on the centerstand's arm and make sure the bike is resting on BOTH "feet" of the stand before putting all your weight on the lifting arm while pulling up with your arms a little.

The guy I was watching, was trying to lift the bike while it was leaned on the side stand, and try as he might, it wasn't going to happen. :lol:

As others have said - it shouldn't be too tough - unless the bike has been lowered.

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yup . . . handlebar in the left hand, right hand on the rear handle, foot on the rocker end of the center stand . . . then pull your right hand (straight-arm) opposite from your foot. once it starts to move it's a snap. it's sort of an isometric exercise. after you've done it once it'll seem very natural. (keep the side stand down just in case you fail part way through).

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Have Zuk centerstand and just lowered the Wee. Still goes up readily enough with just a little extra effort from this old guy. Alittle practice and it is second nature to use the C-stand.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had problems at first like you wouldn't believe (6'4", 230 lbs). But now it's a piece of cake.

This is what I do:
- facing the bike on the left side, grip the handlebar with left hand and and rack with right hand.
- depress centerstand with right foot
- shift bike away from me slightly to make sure that both feet of the centerstand are contacting the ground. If you do it slowly, you will know when
- put all weight on the right foot while pulling back (not up) on the bike.

hope this helps

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Technique is everything. When I weighed 155lbs and owned a full dress Yamaho XS1100E, I could get it on the stand easily. I sold it to a weight lifter. He couldn't do it until I gave him lessons. For a really heavy bike, the tip is to have both feet off the ground, one on the stand lever and the other one in the air so all the body's weight is on the lever and the body is forced to be in the correct position. The Strom is much easier. When I first tried it at the tender age of 60, I focused on technique because I though it would be hard after 15 years of being bikeless. It came up so easily I thought the stand broke and I was hanging on to the bike to keep it from falling over. Get all your weight on the lever and lift with your legs. Pulling the bike to the rear is not productive. Your muscles are very weak in that direction. Lock your arm and straighten your legs with your weight on the lever. Or you can just follow the link as it's a good one.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
For me, a strapping 5'9", 173lbs ("But I'm planning to lose some" :wink:), it's as simple as:

-Grab the left bar with the left hand

-Grab the rail with the right

-Gently step on the center-stand pedal so that the feet contact the ground, hold the bike upright and steady

-Firmly shift all my weight to the pedal and the leverage of the stand does all the work. No need to lift or pull anything, the geometry of the stand will magically do all the work if you let it.

Still working on the smooth, rolling takeoff from the stand...

- Martin

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Its all about finesse :D

When I was a kid I could easily put up my CB750C on the stand, and I weighed 135lbs. The strom is 200lbs lighter than the old '81 and should be easy with the techniques described here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Everything else is secondary to this:

lajaro said:
shift bike away from me slightly to make sure that both feet of the centerstand are contacting the ground.
- If both 'feet' of the centerstand aren't contacting the ground, you'll never get it up.

- A bit of trust is involved. Once both feet of the centerstand are lightly touching the ground, the bike WILL NOT fall over.

- Tom

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The Wee is the first bike I've ever owned (with the Sw-Motech stand) that I can put up on the centerstand while still sitting on the bike. I only started doing this because I have a narrow space between my truck and the wall of the house.

Right foot down.
Right hand on brake.
Left hand on left grip.
Left foot eases down centerstand til both feet hit the ground.
Stand on left foot while pulling slightly back on bars.
Climb off bike on right side (It feels weird)

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
OK. A Question from the new guy, what is the safest method for getting the bike off of the center stand?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Straddle the bike. Pull back on the bars to extend the forks then push forward. Use your whole body, not just your arms.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Since I park the bike in 1st gear all I do is grab the rear grab rail with my right hand, the handlebar with my left hand and pull forward. I make sure the siudestand is dep;oyed too. This way the bike doesn't roll far when it comes off the centre stand and the sidestand being deployed gives a little security that I won't drop the bike onto me, if I lose my balance or grip

Scarlett Harlot said:
OK. A Question from the new guy, what is the safest method for getting the bike off of the center stand?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Scarlett Harlot said:
IF you want to immortalize yourself on youtube:

1. Get a buddy with a videocam.
2. Mount bike, start engine.
3. Put bike in 1st gear, rev engine to 5,000 rpm.
4. Stand on pegs, pull back on handlebars forcing rear wheel into contact with ground.
5. Jump off and watch bike roll away.

[for all of you watching, this is NOT the safe way to get a bike off of the centerstand]

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Johnnylotto.........would that be with or without removing the front disk lock ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Getting it off the centre stand, for me, is straight forward:

I drop the side stand down.

Whilst covering the front brake lever, hand on each bar, little rock back then good push forward.

Little squeeze of the front brake to halt the movement.

Rest it over on the side stand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts