StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have a carefully setup route. In the route you have a number of waypoints where you are going to turn. Usually you ride for a little bit and realize you have messed up so you stop and play with the GPS a minute. You figure out that either you have to backtrack to get back on route or pick an alternate way to get back on the route.

I think that everyone I have ever ridden with that has navigated with a GPS has experienced it.

Is there a term for this?

..Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the automotive navi world working for OEM supplier we call it "offroute" until you pick up on a new recalculated route.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have no faith in a gps anymore we went on a trip to the drakensberge ad the damn thing took us on 70km dirt road and it was a nasty one. potholes like you wont believe it. hehe

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is what we folding GPS users call lost:D
But on a GPS you *aren't* lost as it recalculates. Depending on the settings it will either recalculate a new route from that point or tell you to turn around.

It's one of the things I absolutly love about the GPS.. you don't need to worry about following the exact route as you can always get to where you are going.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have no faith in a gps anymore we went on a trip to the drakensberge ad the damn thing took us on 70km dirt road and it was a nasty one. potholes like you wont believe it. hehe
I've had the same experiences and I can think of a couple of reasons why:

Old or bad maps an be one. There seem always to be some mistakes on the map if you ride far enough. Strangly enough, sometimes highways/roads cna be moved. North of Toronto, Ontario a part of Hwy 400 was moved a few years ago,. If you have an older map the GPS can go crazy when you head over it as it thinks you have swtiched to side roads. In August I was in Pennsylvania and was travelling from a railroad Museum to Hershey PA and my GPS didn;t know about a new section of highway (283?) Also, some (most?) GPS's can give you a choice of the type of roads or the way it calculates. Ie: avoid tolls, avoid unpaved roads, avoid highways, fastest route, shrotest route, avoid U-Turns, etc. These settings can make a huge difference as to how it actually routes you.

..Tom

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine usually calls it "re-re-re-re-calc-calc-calc-ulating" :rolleyes:

(Yes, I've actually heard the thing stutter, most recently on the "freeway off-ramp" in the middle of beautiful downtown Chapleau). "Turn right, re-re-re-re..." (You have to see this thing to understand; it's a big ramp bridge to get over the tracks. You basically do a big left-hand loop to effect a simple right turn).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=chapleau+on&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enCA213CA214

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the automotive navi world working for OEM supplier we call it "offroute" until you pick up on a new recalculated route.
I know you are offroute, but I thought there might be a term for that moment when you (usually) stop and decide how bet to get on the intended route. I think it is a little different from when you are just navigating to a destination.. in this case you probably want to take some particular roads so you need to figure out how best to get back to the intended route. You usually can backtrack a bit, but sometimes just taking the next sideroad might take you back on track.

I've seen it happen (and done it myself) enough times that I though there might be a specific word for it.. maybe there should be. Suggestions?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Mine asks permission first.

RECALCULATE??

Mine usually calls it "re-re-re-re-calc-calc-calc-ulating" :rolleyes:

(Yes, I've actually heard the thing stutter, most recently on the "freeway off-ramp" in the middle of beautiful downtown Chapleau). "Turn right, re-re-re-re..." (You have to see this thing to understand; it's a big ramp bridge to get over the tracks. You basically do a big left-hand loop to effect a simple right turn).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=chapleau+on&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enCA213CA214

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
From my Power Squadron stuff, think off-course would be the term since the GPS is directing you to a particular point. I looked up all my navigation stuff and that seems to be the phrase at least in nautical terms. I was at first thinking off-track but track is really your actual path being taken, course being the objective.

I've never been lost with a GPS - however, I have been presented with numerous directional opportunities more than once! and like the T_shirt says "I took the road less travelled - now where am I"

Bob

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybbe we have to invent a name

Hi Bob,

From my flying stuff if you were just flying of boating along and off course then you would be off course, or if you were deviating from a path (say a mile parallel to it) you would be off track.

That isn't really what I was looking for.. I was thinking of the moment were you stop and take a look at the GPS and try and figure out why you missed the turnpoint, what is the best route to get back on track, or how you screwed it up so badly in the first place and now what should you do.

You aren't quite lost as you can always backtrack and the GPS shows you exactly where you are. It isn't the same as a boat or plane as you normally have to follow a road or pathway to get back.

I've seen it happen enough (myself and others) that I think there should be a name for it.. maybe we have to invent it. Something like "GPS Moment" or a "Route Malfunction" although it should probably be something catchy the way "Farkle" is.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I went for a ride today (about 300 km's) and got to thinking... I don't know what the term would be for when you stop and figure out what you are going to do but I decided to invent the word "deroute".

You "deroute" when you miss a turnpoint on your GPS route. Normally the GPS would recalculate at that point and you might stop and figure out what you are going to do next.
<O:p
You can "have a deroute" when your GPS has to recalculate.<O:p When I wiki'd deroute it came up with a French wiki that translated into fail" which seems mildly appropriate.
<O:p

..Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts