StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been lurking a while, so a brief history is required. My daily ride is a CBR1000F I also have a KLR650. With the cost of registrations and insurance (as well as 2 cars) i have decided to sell all bikes and buy just 1 bike.

So is the DL1000 right for me?

I have a freind with a super Tenere, will the Vee keep up? will it easily clock up 1000K's per month? Without complaining. Bear in mind i do ride pretty hard.

I have found one with 4400K's on the clock for just under 10K.

Good deal?

Thanks in advance

Aussie Johnno

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
G'day Johnno,

Get the Wee instead of the Vee, 650 that goes like an 800 and ABS brakes on the later models.

The Wee will easily keep up with a SuperTen, purely because you will be able to pass him while he is being booked for speeding. :green_lol:

The Ten will be quicker but in real on road riding speed isn't the most important factor anyway, it is the overall package that makes a bike enjoyable to ride.

I'm still waiting to get my old KLR back from the shop, water pump- fork seals and a new set of real knobbies :fineprint: should have it home in time to ride next weekend. :thumbup:

Wee or Vee, you will be more than happy with either choice. :yesnod:

[and keep the KLR too]

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
will it easily clock up 1000K's per month? Without complaining. Bear in mind i do ride pretty hard.
1000km per month? That is not even three tanks of fuel and either a Wee or Vee will happily do 1000km per day if you want it to. At 1000km per month you will be at the very bottom end of the usage scale for most people on this forum.

Get the Wee instead of the Vee, 650 that goes like an 800 and ABS brakes on the later models.
+1 What he said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, i suppose i chose the 1000 because coming off the CBR i thought i would miss the power.
I had not at this stage considered the Wee.

Might go have a look, but i must admit the heart is set on the Vee.

Aussie Johnno

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Johnno,

In the short time that I've had my Wee-strom (2007 DL650) I've been surprised to read many forums and situations where blokes who have previously owned and ridden big bikes including BMWs and large tourers and have bought the wee-strom and loving them due to their manouverability, versatility and enough grunt to comfortably tour.
They too didn't think that going back down to a 650 was going to satisfy and some probably do crave the bigger power of former bikes but have found that the DL650 can do almost anything and many times more than their larger bikes.

I haven't ridden the newest wee-strom yet but they are narrower than the previous model and have been modified in the engine dept to have the power and tourque spread more evenly accross the rev band. ABS as std.

As K1W1 mentioned, these things will happily cruise 1,000km per day if you want them to and if serviced well and looked after, many have got well over 100,000kms worth of riding in them and some up to 200,000kms before any major work.

The Vee-strom 1000 would be good if you want to pillion a lot but are heavier and taller so depends if you're like me and have ducks disease (short pegs:green_lol:) personally i found the DL1000 to be a bit agricultural for my liking, especially round the metro areas.

As they are a basic bike, they leave plenty of room to farkle up to the way you want them to make them into one of the most versatile tourers on the market.

Cheers

wobbly

(Dave)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Plenty of options re the seat height, the most common is to try and swap the 1000 seat for the lower 650 seat.

The Wee is smoother and more trouble free than the Vee [but shit, the Vee is so trouble free it is really nit picking compared to the problems Beemers and other brands/models of bikes have].

Touring two up and loaded is no problem for the Wee either, I've done it myself and my two previous bikes were a BMW K100RT [1000cc 4cyl. and an R 1150 GS].
I have not missed "the power" of a big bike because the Wee has more than enough power for normal riding/touring [in fact there are many who run the Wee at track days and perform better than many of the bigger engined sports bike "boy racers" who think everything has to be "BIG" to be better].

I prefer the models up to 2011 with ABS, but I admit I am yet to ride one of the new ones. [just my preference because with 54,000+ km since I bought it new in 09, I still love it]

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
johnno,do any of the dealers have a demo for a test ride?I know how you feel ,some people ask me what I ride and they go oh! only a 650 well let me tell you my wee doesn't know it's a 650,after a trip to the west 9k,South aussie,Tassie and the local roads around home here it does it all mate :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Apart from anything else I filled mine up at the start of the ride this morning. 484km since the last fill and it took 18.5 litres which means I could probably have run another 50km if I had had to without any problems.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Apart from anything else I filled mine up at the start of the ride this morning. 484km since the last fill and it took 18.5 litres which means I could probably have run another 50km if I had had to without any problems.
Yes sensational milage,our Premier has done an about face on his canning of 91 thank goodness,what was he thinking anyway?my outboard runs 100/1 91,Suzuki recommends 91---:headbang:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Is a CBR-1000 . . . or any 1000 . . . really usable in Victoria? (And particularly, close to Melbourne?)
Not that other states are much better.

Granted, it is nice to have the effortless grunt of a big bike . . . at times. But how often are those times, for your style of riding?
I have the Wee-strom-650, and find it can easily cause me anxiety out on the highway . . . in the sense that, every time I overtake trucks or cars, it is all too easy to find myself hitting licence-losing speed within a few seconds ~ and consequently I have to spend half my concentration on the speedometer instead of all my concentration on the overall safety of the overtaking manoeuvre.
(But you know how merciless the cameras & patrols are, regarding KPH rather than safety.)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Is a CBR-1000 . . . or any 1000 . . . really usable in Victoria? (And particularly, close to Melbourne?)
Not that other states are much better.

Granted, it is nice to have the effortless grunt of a big bike . . . at times. But how often are those times, for your style of riding?
I have the Wee-strom-650, and find it can easily cause me anxiety out on the highway . . . in the sense that, every time I overtake trucks or cars, it is all too easy to find myself hitting licence-losing speed within a few seconds ~ and consequently I have to spend half my concentration on the speedometer instead of all my concentration on the overall safety of the overtaking manoeuvre.
(But you know how merciless the cameras & patrols are, regarding KPH rather than safety.)
I think we are preaching to the converted Mid as the bloke has his heart set on the Vee but I am with you,the big bore lads leave me at the lights at warp speed but they are at the next set :confused:and loading up one of the things for a weeks touring has its logistics:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have done 500+km on a tank on trips with fuel still left in the tank [very nervously though as my big GS used to run out not much past 300km on some occassions].

I get 425km+ around town commuting in Sydney traffic and still have 3L to 4L left in the tank.

Be aware the gauge takes a while to drop the first bar [thought I was going to get over 1000km to the tank when the first bar too 200km before it dropped a bar :jawdrop: have since worked out it just does that to fool newbies, the fuel warning starts flashing with plenty still left in the tank too so if you run out I'd be surprised].

The 36L Givi panniers obstruct the pillion's ability to get their foot seated on the pegs properly, I swapped mine over with a mate for a set of Happy Trails top loading boxes that have enough surface area to land a helicopter on.
The Mrs. almost has to walk across the top of them to get to the seat :green_lol:

I took the Mrs. for a spin again today, the Wee has no problems two up :thumbup:

What this bike has taught me is that I really don't need 1000/1200cc + to cover ground or have fun.

I did 1000km in the first four days of buying mine new in 09 so I could get the first service done.

Then I took it for a ride.
4,600km and three states over two weeks, my cousin was with me on his then new 1600cc Harley.

When overtaking B' Doubles on the open highways we were sometimes at $180 [I don't believe in being on the wrong side of the road any longer than I have to be- unlike a HP car that came up out of a blind dip on our side of the road because HE was overtaking a B' Double coming our way, no lights and siren, just low flying towards us, luckily we were on bikes rather than in a car and could get over to the edge of the road].
Anyway, no dramas as we all are here to tell the tale.
However, my cuz was amazed at how the Wee-Strom was always right there with him whenever he looked in the mirror. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Oh yeh,after a fill and 200k later you think perpetual motion here the thing doesn't need fuel,sadly it does--my work vehicle has a long range tank fitted and doesn't leave the backstop on the gauge until about 400k although I can get 1300k out of 120 litres,nice to hear you took the lass for a scoot today hope she had a nice white whist you a coke :mrgreen:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The wee will eat most bikes out there for top end speed and all round durability,its no gsxr but it will eat the likes of ,triumph tigers,bmw800s,klr 650s,the list goes on,when you find a bike will all the features of the wee and reliability and performance for $11000 let me know,as no other bike even comes close to the wee.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The wee will eat most bikes out there for top end speed and all round durability,its no gsxr but it will eat the likes of ,triumph tigers,bmw800s,klr 650s,the list goes on,when you find a bike will all the features of the wee and reliability and performance for $11000 let me know,as no other bike even comes close to the wee.
Ah now TOECUTTER you are preaching to the converted--wouldn't you like a DB8 in the shed for a coffee run :biggrinjester:if the big ball falls on my place guess what.:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Oh yeh,after a fill and 200k later you think perpetual motion here the thing doesn't need fuel,sadly it does--my work vehicle has a long range tank fitted and doesn't leave the backstop on the gauge until about 400k although I can get 1300k out of 120 litres,nice to hear you took the lass for a scoot today hope she had a nice white whist you a coke :mrgreen:
I keep saying she has a drinking problem Don :yesnod:

Doesn't drink enough :green_lol:

Home to Kurrajong, Wilberforce, Sackville, Maroota, Glenorie, Scheyville, Windsor and back to home.

125km with a nice lunch at the bakery in Glenorie, freshly made sandwiches and coffee.

Now why would you want anything other than a Wee to do a great ride like that.
The true Swiss Army Knife of the bike world [and at an affordable price to buy and maintain too].

I have even got her thinking about a trip to Tassie this year maybe. :hurray:

I'm putting Perth on the bucket list too, wanna come for a ride on that one?

Johnno.......... like many of us who thought we still needed a big capacity bike, you too would be surprised just how good the Wee is, just look at the fact that they outsell the Vee by a huge margin [far more than the difference in price could account for].
They are just a great all round bike.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Never got to 200km yet before the first bar on the fuel gauge has gone out. Generally it's around 175-180 km.
The non linear fuel gauge is very well documented and is about as boring as the speedo that reads fast. How about we actually try to stay on topic for once and only respond in a way that is actually helpful to the OP.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I keep saying she has a drinking problem Don :yesnod:

Doesn't drink enough :green_lol:

Home to Kurrajong, Wilberforce, Sackville, Maroota, Glenorie, Scheyville, Windsor and back to home.

125km with a nice lunch at the bakery in Glenorie, freshly made sandwiches and coffee.

Now why would you want anything other than a Wee to do a great ride like that.
The true Swiss Army Knife of the bike world [and at an affordable price to buy and maintain too].

I have even got her thinking about a trip to Tassie this year maybe. :hurray:

I'm putting Perth on the bucket list too, wanna come for a ride on that one?

Johnno.......... like many of us who thought we still needed a big capacity bike, you too would be surprised just how good the Wee is, just look at the fact that they outsell the Vee by a huge margin [far more than the difference in price could account for].
They are just a great all round bike.
Ock my next trip to Perth will be at 30,000 ft and it will take about 4 hours out of Tulla--:yesnod:

·
Registered
189 Posts
The wee is a very nice bike indeed. Having ridden the new and old wee they are a great bike, better behaved in traffic as the big bore chuggs at low speed.

I own a vee and after 4k on the tacho nothing beats that v twin feeling.

It gets loose at about 180 and if you track it , you will catch them in the corners but run out of legs on the straight due to frame / dynamic s restrictions.
important maybe coming of a cbr you may miss the high end speed.

Look up reliable in the dictionary = Vstrom.

The Vee has niggles , but nothing major. Mainly around fuel restrictions as standard to meet emissions. Causes some misses at low speed from time to time, can be fixed with PC111 e.t.c. I never bothered as its no biggy

Vee shines fully loaded me ,my wife on trip
Loves the country roads. Sits on 140 -160 all day they tell me:thumbup:

Here is the best bit. Overtakes like a V8 not a Datsun.
Users fuel like a v8 too. if you heavy on the throttle like I am
6 per 100 is normal for me .I could get it down , but then the front wheel would never leave the ground, and I can't have that.

Would I buy one again. In a heartbeat.

In summary. Wee is better behaved in traffic e.t.c just as fast , but delivers power differently,, great bike. Vee is like a wild brumby, not so well behaved but loves to run hard and free.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
868 Posts
Go the wee

Hi All,

Been lurking a while, so a brief history is required. My daily ride is a CBR1000F I also have a KLR650. With the cost of registrations and insurance (as well as 2 cars) i have decided to sell all bikes and buy just 1 bike.

So is the DL1000 right for me?

I have a freind with a super Tenere, will the Vee keep up? will it easily clock up 1000K's per month? Without complaining. Bear in mind i do ride pretty hard.

I have found one with 4400K's on the clock for just under 10K.

Good deal?

Thanks in advance

Aussie Johnno
Johnno my story is similar to yours, I sold my GTR 1000 and my KLR650 and I am more than happy with the wee. Take one for a test ride I dont think you will be disappointed.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts