StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have today completed the fuel flow test. I was getting 125ml with 3 cycles of the ignition or 250ml with the 10 second test. So i am well short of where i should be, so time to order a new high pressure filter and also strainer filter. Here in the UK the high pressure filter is £103 ($160) and the strainer about £25 ($40)

The bike had recorded 11,000 miles when this problem surfaced, and it is going to cost $200 for parts alone, am i going to have to do this at about every 10,000 miles. If so surely this is quite a major Suzuki design fault, as with the 2007+ bikes there are no modifications available, and we know that cleaning the filters is not very succesfull, seems a lot of money every 10,000 miles or so, or when you pick up a bad tank of fuel.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I have 77,000 miles on the original pump and filters. Do you buy fuel from a sand pit or what? If you want, the earlier fuel pump can be bought instead as it will fit and you can do a bypass on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 77,000 miles on the original pump and filters. Do you buy fuel from a sand pit or what? If you want, the earlier fuel pump can be bought instead as it will fit and you can do a bypass on it.

I have a 2004 and I need a pump but I'm a cheap skate and refuse to pay either the high as heck 600-700$ for a new one or half that for a used pump of unknown mileage.

Mine started getting loud at around 60K miles and I thought I would be proactive and I replaced it with a used GSXR pump after reading that you could swap them after swapping the fuel senders. My bad luck,,,, I bought a bad pump. Then I bought a low mile SV pump for cheap and it physically works fine but I discovered it has no provision for a sender. I would like to bypass the stock pump and filter with an aftermarket fuel pump and universal filter but I want to use the stock pump shell so I can run the sender. Any ideas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greywolf

I live in Brtain so have always filled up from our stations which are normally very busy, so normally fresh fuel. The bike has also completed oner trip around Eastern Europe and is due to go again in June.

So my point is that you are never very far away from a blocked filter so it seems, this is a well known problem hence all the posts, it can be fixed on pre 2007 bikes, but no known fix for 2007+ bikes, and about $200 a fix over here.

Does the new 2012 V Strom use the same filter or is it now a different filter. I really like this bike, but this fuel filter issue after such a short distance has worried me a bit

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Research supposedly the fuel pump from a Suzuki swift car of a few years ago is a replacement for about $150 US.

I would not be afraid of a pump from a bone yard especially if you could do the exterior filter mod

Lastly before I spent I would have to run a bottle of some cleaner through her, I favor seafoam but st least something

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you check the mileages on the posts regarding blocked filters, they are nothing like your experience. You must have gotten some very dirty fuel at some point. The part numbers on the fuel filter for the 2012 model are new, but I don't see any advantage over previous designs from the exploded view.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This is the first time GW completly cracked me up! Move over Normski...
I think he's starting to crack from having to wait so long for nis new bike.

Are there pre-emptive measures one can take for this problem?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Greywolf

I live in Brtain so have always filled up from our stations which are normally very busy, so normally fresh fuel. The bike has also completed one trip around Eastern Europe and is due to go again in June.
There might be your problem. :fineprint:
A quick check on one US web retailer shows the high pressure filter selling for $99 US. I don't know if it would be cheaper to mail order a filter from the US to the UK. I have also heard somewhere that you can drop the pump into a mild gasoline like solvent, reverse the polarity of the wires and back flush the the filter. If you can, that might save you some pounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts