StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in today for a new tire.

I've got 13,550 miles on the bike with a variety of riding including dusty dirt roads stream crossings, salty roads and florida salt air for a week.

I figured since they've got the rear wheel off, why not replace the front sprocket with a 16 toother? Hey they had one in stock, 20 clams.

Then I asked if they had a chain for the bike, too. Sho' nuff, 86 bucks.

Here's where it gets funky. The service guy says that if I replace the front sprocket and chain, I need to replace the rear sprocket ($46) or eveything will wear out prematurely. An evesdropping saleman concurred (That's when I got really suspicious).

I said if you can do it all now, fine, do it.

They couldn't. They need to order the rear sprocket, it'll be a few days. Well, what would I save in labor for having the wheel off already. Nothing. It's ala carte.

So they just put on the tire and I went home.

Here are my three questions:

1. How important is it to replace both sprockets and chain as a unit at almost 14,000 miles given my ride hard/put up wet maintenace program? (there are a couple of links that don't straighten out completely on their own.)

2. Shouldn't there be a labor cost savings if half of the second job is done by doing the first job at the same time?

3. How many beers, cusswords and Foghat LP's should I budget for the double-sprocket job if I do it myself? The dealer wants $75.

Any help or smart-ass remarks will be appreciated.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I went in today for a new tire.

1. How important is it to replace both sprockets and chain as a unit at almost 14,000 miles given my ride hard/put up wet maintenace program? (there are a couple of links that don't straighten out completely on their own.)

2. Shouldn't there be a labor cost savings if half of the second job is done by doing the first job at the same time?

3. How many beers, cusswords and Foghat LP's should I budget for the double-sprocket job if I do it myself? The dealer wants $75.

Any help or smart-ass remarks will be appreciated.
1. 14k on a chain and sprockets can or can't be average, how often did you lube and adjust your chain? I lube after every ride, and I'm pretty anal about chain adjustment. I've gotten 20k out of a chain and steel sprockets on a smaller displacement bike. You also have to consider material- steel, aluminum, etc. And yes, replace everything at once, irregular wear will result. Why put a new chain on crappy sprockets? Why put fresh sprockets on a stretched chain?

2. Labor is labor, they'll charge either way, it's a job you can do yourself, trust me. I've done it. Easy, peasy. The hardest part is unbending the washer if it is bent over to lock it and then making sure you get all the spacers etc in the right order when putting the rear wheel on.

3. Foghat will just f$^& the job up. Don't listen to foghat. Listen to something smoothing like, oh, enya or yanni. You'll get the job because you'll be so relaxed. Kidding, kidding. Just plan plenty of time, lay out a clean WHITE cloth (parts like washers will stand out)to put the parts down on and you'll be set. This place is a great resource.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I don't know if it is true, but I've always heard not to put on a new chain with worn sprockets. That may or may not be correct, but the service guy and salesman didn't just make it up. Like I said, a new chain may work fine on old sprockets, but I would probably get new ones for peace of mind. Of course I would put them on myself, I don't trust my bike to anyone else. Especially someone trying to get it out the door as fast as possible.

bogey78

·
Registered
102 Posts
Didn't seem they were trying to burn you, but they could've offered a break on the labor to keep your business, after all, they are running a business and they need to make some profit.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Horse poop. If you can't see wear on the rear sprocket then don't replace it. My sprockets lasted until my third chain. My second chain on those old sprockets lasted longer then the first one. At around 30k I put on my third chain and swapped sprockets.

If you end up staggering your sprocket changes that might be a good thing. Also mail order yourself a JT rear sprocket and save yourself 25 bucks.

-GW

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
You can "usually" wear out 2 fronts to 1 rear sprocket, the front takes most of the abuse. I see no logic in spending 100 dollars plus on a new chain, and not also replace at minimum the front sprocket. There are many things in life that you can get extra life out of, but is it really worth it? Change the rear sprocket yourself...it is easy to do, the front can be a challenge.

And yes.....worn teeth on a sprocket will jack up a new expensive chain.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
What GrayWolf said and a little tip, use a chisel to move the bent washer on the front sprocket nut a little and then use a flat punch to flatten it out enough to remove the nut, do this first before any thing else and have some one stand on the rear break pedal so you can loosen the nut, don't use the transmission to try and hold the shaft from turning. After that its a piece of cake, but make sure you have some good hand cleaner handy:D

Jerry

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can "usually" wear out 2 fronts to 1 rear sprocket
Given that the front sprocket is a third the circumference of the rear, this makes absolutely perfect sense to me and is probably what made me feel like the dealer might be trying to hose me. On the other hand, I also understand that they don't want to deal with a callback if the new chain gets chewed up in 2000 miles because they didn't replace a sprocket.

I'm quite happy with the dealer, and I don't mind paying a little more for the parts and long as I don't feel like I'm being screwed. I know it'snot easy running a small independent business and I like keeping my money local.

I'm quite comfortable doing the wrenching for ths job, it will require making my son clean the garage, rounding up my wayward tools for the privelegdge (I'll spell it any way I please) of helping me.

Maybe if it rains like it's supposed to tomorrow I'll take a look at the front sprocket and post some pics. On the other hand, my wife said if it's not raining too hard she'd like to ride because she really needs to gain more wet weather riding experience.

Then I'll shoot pictures sunday while she's polishing her chrome.

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really appreciate you guys.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Please consider something other than Foghat. The last thing you want to create is a "Slow Ride."

(you really lofted that one over the plate, can't believe I'm the first to swing at it)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Please consider something other than Foghat. The last thing you want to create is a "Slow Ride."

(you really lofted that one over the plate, can't believe I'm the first to swing at it)
You're just admitting to be of a "certain age".

I never heard of Foghat until I borrowed my Granddad's Buick last week and accidently turned on the 8-Track player while trying to work the defroster.

(Historical note: the 8-Track player was an early precursor to the I-Pod and instead of silicone chips, it employed vacuum tubes to power the 5 HP electric motor which, in turn, turned a small collection of large cogs and small pinions to run an endless loop of magnetic tape through a series of sharp blades and tape heads which enabled the listener to enjoy the left stereo channel of one song while being annoyed by the right stereo channel of another song and the tape hiss of the entire recording session compressed into a five-minute track with a 20-minute bass guitar solo. On occasion and with the correct amount of pharmecutical inspiriation and if the songs were in complimentary musical keys with similar tempos, whole new songs would be created and released on "Greatest Hit" packages each time the record companies inveted new incompatible recording formats with slightly better musical fidelity and smaller packaging, evolving eventually into no packaging whatsover creating massive layoffs for album cover artists who eventually unleashed their talents on "art in public place projects". This is how mashups and graffiti were invented.)

Next week, the Echoplex and it's role in the prevalence of ADDHD in Hip-Hop artists.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
You're just admitting to be of a "certain age".

I never heard of Foghat until I borrowed my Granddad's Buick last week and accidently turned on the 8-Track player while trying to work the defroster.

(Historical note: the 8-Track player was an early precursor to the I-Pod and instead of silicone chips,

I was a big Foghat fan many years ago. I never actually owned an 8-track. But I definitely remember listening to them. A great feature was the way it changed tracks. So enjoyable the way it would fade down a song right in the middle, change tracks, then fade back. It's amazing 8-tracks ever had a market. Just shows how far people would go to have portable music.

My 16 year old daughter is into buying vinyl albums now. Somehow I don't predict the same enthusiasm for 8-tracks.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Sprocket wear is harder to measure than chain wear. Most people just eyeball it.
If either one is worn beyond service limits, you'll be replacing both.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did cassettes

I was a big Foghat fan many years ago. I never actually owned an 8-track. But I definitely remember listening to them. A great feature was the way it changed tracks. So enjoyable the way it would fade down a song right in the middle, change tracks, then fade back. It's amazing 8-tracks ever had a market. Just shows how far people would go to have portable music.

My 16 year old daughter is into buying vinyl albums now. Somehow I don't predict the same enthusiasm for 8-tracks.
I traded my 8 track (mini 8 in the glove box) for a cassette. I got tired of the crosstalk. Remember crosstalk? What is cool is my 17 year old son is into the music I listened to and still do. He leaves his cds in my car. Great deal.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I traded my 8 track (mini 8 in the glove box) for a cassette. I got tired of the crosstalk. Remember crosstalk? What is cool is my 17 year old son is into the music I listened to and still do. He leaves his cds in my car. Great deal.
Same here, daughter is very unimpressed with the music of today. She wants all my stuff. I'll be driving down the road and old (like 1982 old) Iron Maiden comes on the satellite radio and she's turning it up and singing along. I don't expect anyone to know those songs. Warms a dad's heart. Her musical taste are wider than mine, but I've never had to yell at her to turn that stuff down. I'm usually looking for more volume.

I didn't listen to enough 8-track to know about crosstalk. I do know it was technology that deserved to die.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Warning: Age Appropriate Material!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago my daughter had a boyfriend who liked Pink Floyd. They found my LP's and Turntable and proceeded to destroy a stylus.

Later, she discovered a box of 8-Tracks: Seger, Foreigner, Stones, Return to Forever (!?!?!), Jim Croce, Grand Funk, Peter Frampton and, of course some, Zappa. We dug out an old player and began to appreciate the sonic mud of that desevedly maligned music format. DD, you didn't miss much. Crosstalk is when you hear the Right Channel of "Feels Like the First Time" and Left Channel of "Dirty White Boy" at one time.

Cheers, I'm headed out for a spin before the rain arrives.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Crosstalk is when you hear the Right Channel of "Feels Like the First Time" and Left Channel of "Dirty White Boy" at one time.

Cheers, I'm headed out for a spin before the rain arrives.
I was guessing it was something like that.

Enjoy the ride. Wish I could do the same. I sprained my knee last weekend on my dirt bike and now I'm just sitting around watching everyone else ride. I expect it to be better in a week or two, so it's just a mild irritant right now.

This getting older stuff really has some downsides. But it beats the alternative. Be safe, have fun.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm just thinkin' about how my old 8-track would look mounted on the Strom dash with a couple of shelf mounted speakers to each side.. Kinda like a Goldwing?

Oh, about sprockets.. At the Tellico Plains gathering last year, I started to experience a rather annoying 'clunk' coming from the left side.. Yep, I shoulda not tried to push it beyond the 20k mi. mark. Front sprocket was going, along with the original chain. I was able to make it home OK, but I did replace the whole drive train. I figured another $40 or so was rather cheap insurance since everything was apart anyway. But I do think it was really unnecessary to replace the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Like randyo, I always replace both sprockets with a new chain. The front is always worn out and the rear shows wear. Always a set.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts