StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new to me 05 DL1000 last week. So far the bike is a lot of fun. However, the front brakes on this bike are down right terrible. I've already found the SV racings adapter brackets for the upgraded calipers.

For those of you that have actually done this mod, was it worth it? I would hate to drop $250.00 on brackets, calipers, and new pads only to be dissapointed. So what say you?

Thanks, Lucas

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
YES

Had them on my 650, and when I sold, and bought a 1000, robbed em to carry over, big difference when coupled with HH pads.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I got a great buy on some new nissan 4 pots off a CBR off of ebay, Blair (SV racing parts) has brackets and info on what models to look for. My nissan's came with new oem pads and they stop great. Can't imagine what they would do with HH pads on. I did have to fab a bracket extension for the oem brake line. If you can, go with the line kit too. one of the best dollar value mods I've done to date.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Love mine on the Vee, now need to do my Wee
Mike

·
Registered
488 Posts
Definitely worth it

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why?

Can someone explain why they like the upgrade. What changes occur? On my stock brakes the fronts are pretty grabby but I'm used to that and the rears are a bit sluggish but plenty adequate and it would be difficult to make them lock up the rear wheel which I like. Basically I'm happy but a little worried about the grabbiness on the front if I get into an emergency situation.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Can someone explain why they like the upgrade. What changes occur? On my stock brakes the fronts are pretty grabby but I'm used to that and the rears are a bit sluggish but plenty adequate and it would be difficult to make them lock up the rear wheel which I like. Basically I'm happy but a little worried about the grabbiness on the front if I get into an emergency situation.
No offense, but clearly you are not a candidate for this mod....it's not for everyone, and having to explain is pointless.....if you're happy, that's great.

Read this if you want basics:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-buys-stromtrooper-inventors-product-showcase/35157-sv-racing-parts-4-piston-brake-caliper-adapter-brackets.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had my DL1000 for a little over a week, and my experience is completely opposite. I have to squeeze the front lever about 1/2 way before the fronts calipers even start to apply pressure. They will stop, but I really have to put the anaconda squeeze on them.

My other bike is an FJR1300, and it stops on a dime. I only use my index and middle finger when stopping on it.

Maybe I'll try bleeding the fronts today and see if that make any difference.

Lucas

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes the front brake upgrade is worth the expense.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had my DL1000 for a little over a week, and my experience is completely opposite. I have to squeeze the front lever about 1/2 way before the fronts calipers even start to apply pressure. They will stop, but I really have to put the anaconda squeeze on them.

My other bike is an FJR1300, and it stops on a dime. I only use my index and middle finger when stopping on it.

Maybe I'll try bleeding the fronts today and see if that make any difference.

Lucas
I did the caliper upgrade earlier this year including the HH pads - one of the best farkles dollar-for-dollar that you'll do. You can even keep the stock lines if you space the right mounting bolt back an inch.

Coincidentally I rode a friend's FJR1300 last Saturday and I believe that my DL1000's front brakes are now superior to his. The FJR1300 is still pretty amazing, none-the-less....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Coincidentally I rode a friend's FJR1300 last Saturday and I believe that my DL1000's front brakes are now superior to his. The FJR1300 is still pretty amazing, none-the-less....
Whoa, that's a bold statement. By the way, what did you build that brake hose spacer out of?

Lucas

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...it's not for everyone, and having to explain is pointless...
Well, not necessarily. Someone lacking experience might not recognize the problems being addressed or what is possible. Most comments about this upgrade are of the "woo hoo" kind with little other content. Improved braking? Stop on a dime? My brakes have a great range of modulation, and while I am reluctant to try it for real, I am 99% sure I could lock the front with two fingers. Does this mod eliminate front end dive? Change the grippiness of the tire rubber. It would be interesting to see someone at least try to articulate what this mod addresses and under what conditions.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
You might first try putting on some aftermarket pads and deglazing the rotors.

Race SV650's can't change so they use pads, SS brake lines, and high temp fluid and stop all day from well over 100 mph.

There are track day compounds that stop well when cold. The difference in initial bite and fade resistance is amazing. Try the HH pads first.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well, not necessarily. Someone lacking experience might not recognize the problems being addressed or what is possible. Most comments about this upgrade are of the "woo hoo" kind with little other content. Improved braking? Stop on a dime? My brakes have a great range of modulation, and while I am reluctant to try it for real, I am 99% sure I could lock the front with two fingers. Does this mod eliminate front end dive? Change the grippiness of the tire rubber. It would be interesting to see someone at least try to articulate what this mod addresses and under what conditions.
Again, you also do not sounds like a candidate for this mod, ironically.

I guess if you rode a bike with high performance brakes, like many sport bikes, you'd know how wooden the stock strom brakes are.

As I said, also has a relation to the type of riding you so......I ride relatively spirited, and sometimes really haul on the binders from quick speeds.

Let me suggest that the average person would not be locking the front wheel on the strom with 2 fingers, unless you absolutely grabbed them hard, with no skill, in a panic.....you may think you can get close, but I would suggest you have never really explored the limits.....I have.

I've had my rear wheel in the air numerous times before any locking was taking place, and that was with the brake mod.

The brakes on the stock strom suck really really bad compered to SV Racing mod with HH pads, that simple.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...you may think you can get close, but I would suggest you have never really explored the limits...
You may be right on many of your points, but I will pass on voluntarily exploring the limits of which you speak. Happy to get information, though. Thanks.

PS I am a non-stunting, public-road rider, but am not averse to things that might improve overall performance and/or enhance response in emergency situations. That's why I am reading this thread.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You may be right on many of your points, but I will pass on voluntarily exploring the limits of which you speak. Happy to get information, though. Thanks.

PS I am a non-stunting, public-road rider, but am not averse to things that might improve overall performance and/or enhance response in emergency situations. That's why I am reading this thread.
That is also why I am reading this thread. I am an experienced rider who has been riding for 45 years. I am also a rider who doesn't explore the limits of the bike on purpose. This mod seems to me to be one that follows the saying by the Harley riders, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand". I think I will be staying with the stock brakes with the addition of HH pads.

No offense to those of you who have added this mods but I think you are correct in saying this mod isn't for me.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
OP, try aftermarket pads for $50 and if that doesn't work for you, do the hardware.

One review, you'll find more.

I have a 01 VFR and came from a sportbike background, I have had a couple of R6's and a couple of GSXR750's so I am used to, and enjoy strong front brakes. When I picked up a V-Strom last month I found that the brakes were very weak.. actually I found the rear out performed the fronts. After reading a bunch or reviews on the EBC HH's I ordered a set. I have to say, what a HUGE change in the braking... way more powerful and exactly what I was looking for. I still have stock lines and have no need to replace them with stainless lines. I like good cheap upgrades..

Have not tested them in the rain.. I am heading down to Dubois PA on Friday, then on to the Blue Ridge Pkway... rain is in the forecast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted by scarygary
I have a 01 VFR and came from a sportbike background, I have had a couple of R6's and a couple of GSXR750's so I am used to, and enjoy strong front brakes. When I picked up a V-Strom last month I found that the brakes were very weak.. actually I found the rear out performed the fronts. After reading a bunch or reviews on the EBC HH's I ordered a set. I have to say, what a HUGE change in the braking... way more powerful and exactly what I was looking for. I still have stock lines and have no need to replace them with stainless lines. I like good cheap upgrades..

Have not tested them in the rain.. I am heading down to Dubois PA on Friday, then on to the Blue Ridge Pkway... rain is in the forecast.

This quote sums it up for me, and that's my original querry with starting this thread. I've always riddden supersports, then about 2 years ago converted to the FJR1300. In my opinion, the FJR's brakes are almost on par with a supersport. 2 finger pull on the FJR's lever, and that big puppy in is grinding to a very smooth, controlled, halt.

Now, onto the vee. I instantly noticed that the front brakes were lacking. Give the 2 finger pull, and nothing happens. 4 finger squeeze, and finally I get some feedback. However, I don't get any front feedback until the front lever is pulled in about half way. Then they start to stop. The rear on the other hand, works great. I'd say it handles about the same load as the fronts, which isn't right. All the modern bikes i've ever owned, I'd say the brakes are 70% front, and 30% rear working. On my 05 vee though it's more like 50/50.

I'm going to try bleeding the fronts today, and see if I can get them to build a little more pressure.

Lucas

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Keep in mind this bike is ostensibly an Enduro and you don't want grabby brakes.

The stock pads are a big part of the problem. Changing the fluid and bleeding with better pads will make a huge difference.

The stock pads last a long time, don't generate a lot of dust and don't do much retardation - like many OEM pads. But I've done track days with them and they do last.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts