StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a DL650 ASAP but I can't decide between a 2011 and 2012.
I've researched some of the improvements but I'm not sold on whether the 2012 is a better mount than prior years. What am I missing?

Which of the improvements could you not live without?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you make use of the Google Search Bar (above) you'll find threads with lots of info regarding your question.

I had a 2009 that I put 25+K on and I loved everything about my Strom. I purchased a 2013 and I love everything about my Strom.

Great scooters, get one and enjoy.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did lots of searches and no, you didn't answer my question. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
255 Posts
After an eight-year run with few changes, the V-Strom 650 was looking a bit tired. Suzuki introduced a new for 2012 model, with tougher styling, more torque, less weight, revised suspension and better instrumentation

The biggest change to the 2012 Vstrom DL650 is the change in engines.

The engine for the 2012+ DL650 is a Gladius sourced engine retuned to suit the V-Strom’s stronger touring and adventure bias. The 645cc V-Twin maintains the same 81mm bore and 62.6mm stroke, but features new pistons, cylinders, valve springs and cams.

Unique to the V-Strom 650 are the intake and airbox assembly and exhaust system, as well as the camshafts which use altered profiles to boost low and mid-range torque compared with the sportier (and lighter) Gladius. Other changes compared with the old V-Strom include single instead of double valve springs (for less reciprocating weight and friction) and improvements to the internal gas flow, reducing pumping losses.

The torque benefits from the overhauled engine are clearly felt from idle well into the mid-range with the 650 Strom exhibiting a lot more ‘grunt’ factor than before.

The new instrument panel is easily read, day or night. The large tach is analog, with your speed and transmission position reported by a large LCD. New and welcome is an ambient thermometer, and a small light that warns you when the temperature hits freezing. Also included is a handlebar switch for cycling through the functions on the dash.

Suzuki also redesigned the V-Strom’s seat. High-end in appearance‚ red stitching and an appealing V-Strom logo‚ the seat being 25-percent thicker than the previous version. The taller seat gives your legs a bit more room, which is welcome for touring.

The Bodywork has been totally redesigned, with the boxy square look gone and replaced with a curvy slim design that doesn't make this bike look as front and top heavy as the older design.

Hope this helps make your decision easier. The new DL650 is a much more modern bike than its predecessor in both looks and feel.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
I did lots of searches and no, you didn't answer my question. :mrgreen:
Stop searching and simply start looking/reading through the various sub forums.....you will find the answers you seek. Going to Google and doing a simple search of the criteria you are asking will for sure give you results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a new 2012 model last summer, and have also ridden the '11. Here is my two cents: The 2012 engine is somewhat smoother, and does not vibrate as much (however, if you take long rides...i.e. in the 1.5 to let's say 2 hour range), both bikes are "buzzy", and you will feel fatigue from both foot peg and handlebar vibes (normal for a V-twin). My 2012 model, ironically, likes to vibrate most at about 4500 rpm, just where I want to run it most of the time !!!! Haha ! Oh well...it's a machine !! If you want a decent 650 cc bike, that is very reliable, the V is a good choice IF you can handle its top-heavy nature, and are not bothered by its rather tall seat height and center of gravity.

·
38,103 Posts
Vibration at 4700rpm is normally a crash bar harmonic. Putting a rubber separator where the two halves of the bars meet helps a lot.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that nobody every bought a '12 and said, "I wish I had an '11."?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never rode the first generation Strom. I bought a 2012 last year. The biggest pleasant surprise for me is the fuel economy. I get around 61 mpg. I think the first generation gets lower. I've had 8 bikes in the last 10 years. Vstrom is by far the best compromise if you can only have one bike. The list of bike I had:
Ninja250x2, Fz1, Burgman400, KLR650, ZX14, S1000RR, VStrom650.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd say that last statement sums it up. Had an 05 myself and now a 2012. Liked the older, love the newer.

Greg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never rode the first generation Strom. I bought a 2012 last year. The biggest pleasant surprise for me is the fuel economy. I get around 61 mpg. I think the first generation gets lower. I've had 8 bikes in the last 10 years. Vstrom is by far the best compromise if you can only have one bike. The list of bike I had:
Ninja250x2, Fz1, Burgman400, KLR650, ZX14, S1000RR, VStrom650.
That 61 mpg seems high. I think most people average 45 in town, around 55 highway (speed is biggest factor so this varies). At frst I was amazed at the mileage mine was getting (around 60 like you mentinoed), and then realized I had the MPG calculator set for "imperial gallons" which are larger than our gallons. Check to make sure yours is not set for imperial gallons.

If you truly are getting 61, then awesome... I guess I just twist my throttle more!

·
38,103 Posts
Also, the odometer is a little optimistic. With my usual lunch run to Wisconsin in the summer, I regularly get low 60s mpg with most of the trip at 60-65mph actual maximum speeds according to the stock odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First motorcycle I ever owned new was a 2011 Vstrom. It's life
Was ended when a gentleman from Texas backed over it in
A hotel parking lot. Broke my heart! Traded it in on 2012.
Love it. Buy a 2012, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
194 Posts
anyone who thinks this ride is buzzy hasn't really ridden a buzzy mount imho.

my dl650 is so smooth and quite I feel like I'm on a scooter going 85 indicated down the freeway.

oh yeah, and there really was a six page thread on this just the other day.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that nobody every bought a '12 and said, "I wish I had an '11."?
I bought a '13 and after riding it the first week I said "Overall I like my '07 better". My opinion has changed only slightly. Part of the reason is that I had the ergos on my '07 dialed in for me. Despite my best efforts, I still don't think I'll ever get the '13 to fit me as well. Also, I don't agree that the new engine is smoother--At least mine is not. Neither bike is buzzy enough to complain about, but there is no doubt that my '13 exhibits a bit more vibration than my '07. (I tested this out with both bikes in stock condition). Maybe it will smooth out with age. I also don't like that the '13 channels more engine heat to my legs than my '07.

From a performance and riding standpoint, I don't think a '12-'13 model is so much better that it can be clearly recommended over a less expensive '11. The only thing I can say that I like much better about my '13 vs my '07 is the looks. Aside from that, when I add up the pros and cons of each it's about a wash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a 2004 and put 25K on it.Now have a 2012 and clearly is a better bike in every way.Choice is simple: buy the 2012+, pay the little xtra and never look back!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Long Term

Also, the odometer is a little optimistic. With my usual lunch run to Wisconsin in the summer, I regularly get low 60s mpg with most of the trip at 60-65mph actual maximum speeds according to the stock odometer.
My net mileage for the first 9000 miles is 61.6 mpg, including a 2.7% odometer adjustment for GW's observed odometer inaccuracy. This is for riding/speeds that are probably very similar to his Wisconsin lunch runs --- 60-65 mph max on rural roads.

Wind resistance seems to dominate mileage (exponentially). Add 10 mph and it really drops. Ride 10 mph slower and it really soars.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Despite my best efforts, I still don't think I'll ever get the '13 to fit me as well. Also, I don't agree that the new engine is smoother--At least mine is not. Neither bike is buzzy enough to complain about, but there is no doubt that my '13 exhibits a bit more vibration than my '07. (I tested this out with both bikes in stock condition). Maybe it will smooth out with age.

I also don't like that the '13 channels more engine heat to my legs than my '07.
My 2012 is not as smooth as the '04 either. Especially under acceleration. Not sure what the difference would be. Still, it is plenty smooth even on all day rides.

Early on I wrote that the '12 put a LOT more heat on my right leg. I was chastised pretty heavy for that. It is a fact. Not as evident at temps under 85, but ride in the 90's and above and it is bad enough I have to move my foot to set my leg out further. The '04 isn't like this.

You should be able to get the new bike to fit you, the basic frame layout is the same. The different seat and especially how it sits is a LOT different however.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts