StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 650K5 for 4 months now, and received another reminder from Suzuki, telling me that I should really consider their extended warranty and that I have to buy it while the bike's still under the original warranty.

I love my bike and have had no problems with it in its first 4,000 miles.

I am interested in getting perspectives from you folks regarding the Suzuki extended warranty. Is it worthwhile? What have you had go wrong after the initial factory warranty that the extended warranty has covered?

Thank you!

Stan.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i bought it. i've bought em on all my bikes i bought new. why? my bike is my primary mode of transport rain, slet snow, etc. I'd rather have the piece of mind being that i ride close to 36k miles a year.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
stanstrom said:
I've had my 650K5 for 4 months now, and received another reminder from Suzuki, telling me that I should really consider their extended warranty and that I have to buy it while the bike's still under the original warranty.

I love my bike and have had no problems with it in its first 4,000 miles.

I am interested in getting perspectives from you folks regarding the Suzuki extended warranty. Is it worthwhile? What have you had go wrong after the initial factory warranty that the extended warranty has covered?

Thank you!

Stan.
I've yet to see an extended warranty that was worth the money, notwithstanding critical servers in a business (but that's a service contract). Take the money for the extended warranty and park it in a money market account. Every month after that add 5%-10% more to the account. By the time your Strom needs repair you'll have more than enough to pay for it, at least in regards to the DL650. Or if you never need repair then you'll have money to help with the next bike :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are going to go for the extended warranty, this is the least expensive place to buy it that I have found, also great prices on OEM parts:

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com

click on the suzuki SEPP link on the left.

I got the 60 month for $449. Not bad piece of mind in my opinion. My '06 DL1000 is under full warranty until 2011, works for me.

I Had to have a little work done on my other bike after 2 years and the SEPP paid for itself in one shot.

K

·
0 Posts
IMHO, the extended warranty is just as worthless as the first one. I refuse to pay for the priviledge of being told everything is either normal, or my fault.

·
Registered
383 Posts
well I agree with LOTTO on banking the money for interest, FWIW, I paid 339 for my Suzuki Extended Warranty and even if it's psychological, I like knowing the coverage is there, kind of like upper limit insurance. . .

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
kneedrachen said:
well I agree with LOTTO on banking the money for interest, FWIW, I paid 339 for my Suzuki Extended Warranty and even if it's psychological, I like knowing the coverage is there, kind of like upper limit insurance. . .
I did decide to spend extra on the insurance for the bike :) Got comprehensive and collision to the lowest deductable I could get and added roadside service and uninsured motorist (I don't go this far for any of my cages) That's probably the extent of my "psychological helmet".

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think all extended warranties are a waste of money. Do your research and buy a reliable product. Also, the extended warranty isn't much good if the service sucks. Ask Stromette about finding a cush drive replacement. An extended warranty wouldn't get her part any quicker.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
I don't really like them, but if it gives you peace of mind GO FOR IT!! :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
I bought one. A lot of people like to tell you that it is a waste of money. I always wonder what makes them such an expert on the subject. I've always come out OK with mine. I've had to use them before, and I've never had any trouble. I don't know why so many people have trouble with warranty work, I don't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought the Suzuki extened warranty over the internet. I needed some engine work (valve replacement) and was required to provide my history of service before the dealer would even submit the warranty work to Suzuki. I had every service bill listed with every oil change and part / service done on the bike for 26 month. Suzuki authorized a portion of the work. My part was over $500.00. The work was crap and I ended going to another dearler to fix the bad work with no warranty coverage.

I can't recommend the warranty. :x

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update to previous post about extended warranty

Just picked up my 03 DL1000 from Cycle Center in Denton Texas. I had a complete top end overhaul ,$1926.83 , covered by my Suzuki extended warranty. My previous attempts to get the bike fixed under warranty by the other dealers did not happen because they were too lazy to submit the needed paper work. Cycle Center submitted copies of my maintenance records and pictures of the engine parts to the adjuster and the work was approved.

My experience so far is that you can get the work done under warranty if the dealer is willing to do the extra work and submit the needed info to Suzuki Extended Warranty. The warranty is no good if the dealer doesn't care.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just picked up my 03 DL1000 from Cycle Center in Denton Texas. I had a complete top end overhaul ,$1926.83 , covered by my Suzuki extended warranty. My previous attempts to get the bike fixed under warranty by the other dealers did not happen because they were too lazy to submit the needed paper work. Cycle Center submitted copies of my maintenance records and pictures of the engine parts to the adjuster and the work was approved.

My experience so far is that you can get the work done under warranty if the dealer is willing to do the extra work and submit the needed info to Suzuki Extended Warranty. The warranty is no good if the dealer doesn't care.
Being an assertive owner goes a long way too! Put the dealer on the spot and demand that he perform. You're right, though, some just don't do their job.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I had to pay $290.00 for repair to corroded wiring on my 2005 DL650. The fuel injector wire corroded in half inside the harness two weeks after the 1 year warranty ran out.

What's next?

Next time I'll buy the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
In general, I don't go for extended warranties. However, Suzuki tossed it in for free since I paid cash.

Now, the downside is I would like to monkey about with things like removing the secondaries (as so many folks on this forum recommend for the 1000) and playing with fuel injection maps and so forth, but I'm afraid of voiding the warranty.

The upside is that if anything goes wrong in the first 3 years, it's not my problem.

I can wait that long to get my wrenches out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't trust EW's

I think it's a waste of money not necessarily because that it's an Extended Warranty, but what they bury deep within the fine print that excuses them from making any sort of major repair that would make the investment worthwhile, short of replacing a burned out light bulb.

My dad got Extended Warranties on various cars, only to get burned by Section 123, Paragraph 4, Sentence 4, Letter 3, which would invariably stipulate that a broken timing belt that resulted in the damage to more than one (1) intake valve would not be covered if the valve broken was on its way down towards the cylinder head.

Okay, I am being sarcastic, but my point is that I have yet to hear a success story where a catastrophic failure was repaired by an Extended Warranty. My experience has always been the opposite: major repair avoided by some exclusion buried deep within the contract's fine print, save a free light bulb or two.

If you have positive experiences in which the repair amount exceeds the amount invested, please post here 'cause I'd like to hear about them. In fact, to make it worthwhile, I think the repair amount should exceed the amount invested by at least 3X, otherwise the risk is not worth it. I'd rather buy Pets.com stock options.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts