StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious so I weighed my bike today on a fairly good quality bathroom scale. As you can see I have 20mm ammo cans with some small items inside and a Bestem top box on the back. There is also a tool tube packed with tools, air compressor, etc. On the front there are running lites, handguards, windshield pouch with stuff in it, Pat Walsh skid plate and guards, radiator and oil cooler guards, and misc. wiring and switches. The fuel tank was full.

The 1st time I did it I rolled each tire up a ramp onto the scale which left the other tire about 3" lower and on the ground. I balanced the bike and measured the weight on each tire patch. I came up with 252# front and 322# rear for a 574# total.

I then tried it with the bike level by building a small platform equal in height to the scale for the end not being weighed and I got 265# front and 318# rear for a total of 583# and a front/rear weight bias of 45.5/54.5%.

Now I expect the engineers and rocket scientists out there to tell me why all the above data is skewed because of physics I'm missing. Or is that really pretty close to what she weighs?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
My fully farkled 650 weighed 550# on the local truck scale.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Well it seems obvious that unless you level the bike, the lower tire will have more weight on it; I quickly learned that trick when helping friends move: always carry the couch higher than your friend...

583# is how much your bike weighs; Im very sorry.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how were you keeping the bike upright
I balanced it by holding the end that wasn't on the scale. It would have been easier with another body but it wasn't too bad.

I did weigh some stuff before I put it on the bike and the total for the ammo cans, Givi racks, Bestem box, and Pat Walsh stuff came to about 70#. I'm sure there is another 10-15# of other farkles I didn't bother weighing and 10 pounds or so of supplies I keep on board all the time.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems obvious that unless you level the bike, the lower tire will have more weight on it; I quickly learned that trick when helping friends move: always carry the couch higher than your friend...

583# is how much your bike weighs; Im very sorry.
Maybe, except the front got heavier with the bike level.

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
I weighed mine on a public scale. 490 lbs with the top box loaded.
The bath room scale thing doesn't take into consideration how your wife has set the adjusting wheel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice cans! (I'd never get away with saying that to my wife, however!)

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Maybe, except the front got heavier with the bike level.
Yes; that's exactly what I was saying.
With the front raised on the scale, the rear tire takes more of the (the bike's weight distribution + a certain % for the bike's angle).
With the rear raised, the front takes more weight than when it's level, but less than the rear because the weight distribution is still rearward skewed.
There's a formula for predicting the exact weight a tire will take based on weight distribution, distance from the CG and height; I'm too lazy to figure it out now and I don't want to ask wifey.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The bath room scale thing doesn't take into consideration how your wife has set the adjusting wheel.
LMFAO !!!!

I dunno, I'd say 575 lbs sounds about right for one of these bikes with some luggage etc.

That's about how mine feels. I see it as 100-150 lbs less than the sport touring bikes I was looking at so I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes; that's exactly what I was saying.
With the front raised on the scale, the rear tire takes more of the (the bike's weight distribution + a certain % for the bike's angle).
With the rear raised, the front takes more weight than when it's level, but less than the rear because the weight distribution is still rearward skewed.
There's a formula for predicting the exact weight a tire will take based on weight distribution, distance from the CG and height; I'm too lazy to figure it out now and I don't want to ask wifey.
Spot on. I used an engine hoist and some boards so that I didnt put the wheel directly on the scale. I did this to calculate the weight and CG position on my FZ6. Did this when designing a single wheeled trailer to pul behind the bike for my senior design project.

Weighing the bike was a fun project for a rainy day... need to find those numbers again. Ill share how I did it in detail if anyone is interested.

-bryan

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have no Idea what mine weighs. The good news is that I don't have to carry it that often.
Bill

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over the past couple weekends I took the fat girl on a couple of very long dances including some dirty stuff and I gotta say she's still got what it takes for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts