StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the mechanic replace my clutch here in La Paz and swore that he drained all the radiator fluid as part of changing my clutch (although I was certainly distracted by the delicious food I was munching on). I just want to confirm that this is likely what he was doing... if so this saves me from having to replace it for a few years ;)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Yes. The water pump is attached to the clutch housing. To break the clutch housing from the motor case, the coolant has to be drained.

·
Registered
232 Posts
... this saves me from having to replace it for a few years ;)
Not if he just collected it in a (hopefully clean) pan and poured it back into the radiator when he was finished.

If care is taken to prevent dirt and other foreign objects from getting in the drained coolant, there's nothing wrong with putting it back in. It's fairly easy to get the coolant out of a V-Strom without getting it dirty.

Did they write up a description of the service charges? Looks like anticongelante/refrigerante is Spanish for antifreeze/coolant. Most shops in the states wouldn't miss a chance to charge (a lot) for a couple quarts of coolant.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not if he just collected it in a (hopefully clean) pan and poured it back into the radiator when he was finished.

If care is taken to prevent dirt and other foreign objects from getting in the drained coolant, there's nothing wrong with putting it back in. It's fairly easy to get the coolant out of a V-Strom without getting it dirty.

Did they write up a description of the service charges? Looks like anticongelante/refrigerante is Spanish for antifreeze/coolant. Most shops in the states wouldn't miss a chance to charge (a lot) for a couple quarts of coolant.
I think they used new coolant; I wasn't watching that closely though; the food down here is *fantastic*.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts