StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this bike in North Dakota where corners are as plentiful as beautiful women and trees. It has spent most of it's miles there and on long slab trips. I have a long trip coming up at the end of June and I'm wondering if I need to replace the tires before then.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello, is that the original Bridgestone Trail Wing? How many miles are on it? Can you feel the wear bar indicators between the blocks? i can't quite tell from the pics. I'm at about 7800 miles and in the center i'm pretty much flat, so i am changin mine before i take a trip later in June. Better to be safe than sorry is what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Same feeling, it's a shame when there is still plenty of tread on the sides. Maybe you can arrange new tyres somewhere along your trip.
I had to replace my rear after a long trip on mainly straight roads, looked similar to yours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just under 6k miles on the original trailwing. It's not to the wear bar, soI'm only worried about the squaring.

I'm hoping this tire is ok for one more long 1000+ mile trip because my next tire will be a more aggressive tread and I'd just as soon avoid using the new one on this trip as it will be a lot of highway.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
It should do a 1000 mile trip no problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Check your tires thoroughly for cracks (along the sidewalls and between treads). Personally, I'd replace both tires before a trip like that, especially since you'll be logging more miles before the end of June.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I ran mine just like that for an 1100 mile fly & ride, then another 1500 miles before I replaced them with TKC-70's. They weren't at the wear bars, but they were droning at 50mph all the time unless the bike was leaned over, which was annoying. The new TKC-70's eliminated that. It sucks having to do slab all the time just to get to decent riding roads. Enjoy whatever new tires you get :)

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
No way I would start out on a 2000 mile trip on that tire! Nothing to do with squaring, or cracks, or anything but amount of tread left. Measure the wear indicator nearest the center of the tread. I will bet there isn't more that about 2/32" inch of tread over the wear indicator. Yes, it might get you home. Is it worth worrying about for the whole trip. Do you feel lucky enough to run to the cords are showing?

For $115 shipped you can have a new Battlewing. Which means you can make the trip without thinking about the tires. Thicker tread also lowers the chance of the puncture.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the squaring much. That's not at all the worst I've had. It happens, and aside from a dicey feeling on certain lean angles, you'll stick to the road just fine. However, I agree with the above idea that your tires are just getting worn too low. I might count on another 1-2K miles on them, but, that would be for daily my commuting, where at a moment's decision I can order up a new tire. When you're out on a trek - why not eliminate worry, and put a new tire on?
You know you're going to put one on soon anyway. Just do it ahead of time and greatly reduce the risk of flats or poor traction in weather and road conditions. Cut down risk where possible. A rescue / tow / hotel wait for a tire order will put a damper on you trip for sure.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Is it worth a hundred bucks to you not to have to worry about the tire on the trip?

You can always put the tire back on after the trip to get those last miles out of it.

I replaced a rear tire (prior to a long trip) that probably could have made it. I keep that tire around as a spare, had to mount it temporarily when this happened: (thread here)

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you're sitting on the side of the road in the middle of now where with a flat you'll have plenty of time for stretching exercises so your foot can reach you butt to give yourself that swift kick you'll be telling yourself you deserve. Don't cheap out to squeeze a few extra miles out of your tires. If anything it's worth the peace of mind and your safety.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Spec? Was someone trying to kill you? That tire looks sliced with a razor blade!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Yea that's what it looked like to me too. The cut is very clean with no additional damage to either tire. Seems like if I would have ran over something it would have scuffed up the front tire.

Thing is I work in a very secure area so it wouldn't have occurred there. It happened during the week, I was just driving to work and home.

The moto guys at work were divided on how it could have happened. Some thought it could be a road hazard and one guy claimed to have had a similar cut.

I'm just glad I made it home and parked in the right spot to notice the damage.

I did try to cut the tire with a razor knife just to see if it was possible to duplicate that cut. I was very hard to cut that deep. I couldn't do it in one pass.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I've ridden farther trips on worse tires than that. I'd ride 2k on that tire, squaring isn't an issue, IMHO. But, then I'm a thrill-seeking cheap bastard who doesn't get too worked up about stuff and I don't tend to throw away tires with life left in them.

Some guys love to get worked up over that stuff.

And, that's almost worse than a flat tire.

Almost.

Anyway, there's no right answer, what are you comfortable with?

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
I've ridden farther trips on worse tires than that. I'd ride 2k on that tire, squaring isn't an issue, IMHO. But, then I'm a thrill-seeking cheap bastard who doesn't get too worked up about stuff and I don't tend to throw away tires with life left in them.

Almost.

+1 yet again.

Road hazards are unpredictable.

Riding on a brand new, still smells rubbery and boasts the mold-nipples Dunlop, a long-time Gold Winger friend ran over -- of all things, an open end 9/16's wrench and destroyed his brand new tire.

Then again, one can make a 2k run on a squared off tire with nary a problem.

Is the risk minimized with a new tire and thicker thread? Probably, not but certainly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If I lived where you did I would put a car tire on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live in Utah now, thank God.

Almost.

Of course there's a right answer. If I take the trip with that tire and it does just fine, then that's the right answer. If I take the trip and it fails, then a new tire was the right answer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Tires on trips are a pain to deal with, my buddy will screw around on worn tires and then have to spend over retail plus higher than our normal labor cost getting them changed on the road. I would replace at home with the tires I want, not what I can get when there is a failure.

Change the rear at least now, enjoy your trip. Decent name brand tire sets run about $240 plus the install. I learned to change my own, a cheap rear Shinko 705 is $85 and some of my time. Fronts last much longer, but running that rear 2K more will be cutting it very close to the cords.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts