StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I crashed my wee last october, and have slowly been gathering parts to rebuilding the fairings. It wasn't too bad a crash, just had to replace a few bent/broken things up front (forks, handlebars, most of the fairings)

So I bought this fairing stay (bracket) from MotoBatteries.com. I thought it was supposed to be a new item, but it looks a bit rough around the edges: paint flaking off here and there revealing a bit of rust underneath. One of the top edges is slightly bent and the whole thing seems not quite centered with the bike when bolted on. It could be that this is normal, I'm just not sure. Anyone else have experience with replacing their fairing bracket with aftermarket? I'll try to post up a pic or two.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I got a new fairing stay from them last fall, and it was well built and in great shape; looked and was new, as you would expect. They seem like real straight shooters in my experience. I would take some pictures and get back with them, hopefully you can exchange it for something more like you'd expect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics and details

Here are some photos I took of the bracket on the bike:https://picasaweb.google.com/LiamWFRowell4th/VstromBracket?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLXOlbC3rdSWXQ&feat=directlink
So here's the email I just sent them with pictures and some more details. They offered to sell me a new one at a discount, but I really just need to know first whether this is "normal", etc.
-----------email-------------
Thanks for getting back to me. I know your time is valuable. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I'm not so worried about the money. But I really need to know if this is normal or not. It seems to me that the bracket should look centered on the bike. Before I go to the trouble of reinstalling all the bolts, grommets, plastic fairings, etc. I need to know if I will have to take it all back off again. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
There are 3 things that make me wonder if this is a new bracket or if it has been refurbished. Do you guys ever re-sell returned items?
1. The bracket looks angled to the right when viewed from the front or back of the bike.
2. One of the topmost tabs sticking up (it has a rubber grommet in it on both sides now) is just slightly bent. Probably not enough to make it unusuable.
3. The small bit of rust revealed where the paint flecked off on the top of the leftmost tab and the bottom near the center.
If you guys can tell me that this should never be there with a bracket you sell, then we have a mystery.
This bracket was in its original plastic for months while I shopped for other pieces that I needed. It's not easy to find used parts for a v-strom, and brand new ones are ridiculously expensive.
I would be very hesitant to buy another one from you guys without some kind of reasonable explanation.
Now maybe these are just normal manufacturing variances and not every piece is perfect. If that is the case, so be it. I just need to understand.
I would like to give you a good recommendation to others on the motorcycle boards, but first I need to know if this is new or not.
If you don't see what I'm talking about, I can add some arrows etc. within the photos.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got one from them. It was in perfect condition in the original box. They are made in China and I think mine was shipped direct from there.There are others selling the same bracket on ebay.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I don't think what you got is normal. It looks like it is tweaked to the right to me also. I would push them for an exchange if it were me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just bent mine and had to streighten out with a big hammer and pry bar. It is now more straight than the one you show in the pictures. If the paint is flaking off, that is where it is bent. Send it back, it is not NEW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or maybe it's the mounting point on the frame?

Oy, now I don't know which is bent. I took the suspect bracket off and looked at the rectangular mounting fin that juts out forwad from the frame. I swear it looks bent to the right. Tell me if I'm crazy. Could this be from my crash? It looks way too sturdy to be bendable to my eye, but what do I know? Or maybe the whole frame is bent, but it sure doesn't look bad anywhere else. i wonder if there is an easy way to tell. Anyone else ever had this part bent away from straight centerline with the bike? Or maybe that's normal...
Here's some more pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/LiamWFRowell4th/VstromBracket?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLXOlbC3rdSWXQ&feat=directlink

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bolt the bracket on and take some alignment measurements from the bracket to the tank. Also lay a level across the top and see if it is level, not twisted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I think I finally see the problem. Tried two different braces and both were off center by a centimeter or so. The attach point is bent to the right from the crash. It's easy to see if I take a step back from the bike without anything on the front. I'm now riding thinstrom style.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts