StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I needed to slide the top case back around 2 inches to make 2up riding better. While I was doing this...I started to question the PO install of the givi rack on what appears to be an aftermarket rear rack itself.

Only these 2 bolts holding the givi rack (and topcase) on? and they are just allen head bolts? Is the mounting area that sturdy? It doesnt seem like it would hold up , but what do I know. dont want the top case coming off since the wife uses it for a backrest.

Is this normal? What rack is that under the Givi? Any ideas on "beefin" it up?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm 99% sure that's the Happy Trails top plate that the Givi is bolted to. Has to be used with the Happy Trails panier rack, which it looks like you have.
Top Plate for Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

If it were me, I'd want at least one or two bolts going through the front of the Givi plate, too, so all the leverage isn't around the two bolts holding it on, but I'm not sure that can be added easily. At the very least I would add washers underneath the allen head bolts to distribute the pressure a bit better, it looks like the head of the bolt isn't touching much of the adapter plate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that my setup...happy trails!

yes, i agree...I dont like the current setup. I am going to add washers, and may have to do some drilling to add bolts to the front section. Problem is that they will need to sit flush because the top case sits flush...hmmmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's the same Givi mount for my V46 that I had on my BMW it's the F680. I just bolted mine directly on the stock wee rack. I had to drill 2 holes but it turned out fine. I trimmed off the 4 rubber bumps flush so it would lay flat. It works for me and is solid.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The top piece is just a stock Givi rack. I had one like it on a PC800, and I think it attached directly to Givi side rails at just those two points. It was plenty sturdy. I wouldn't worry about the number or location of attachment points. I would, however, put back the washers that the P.O. felt were superfluous; those are not optional.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so this is overboard im sure...but hey, I sleep better now.

Added 2 recessed bolts. Added washers to the existing bolts. And what the heck...how about some zip ties.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts