StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to trying to lift the front of my 650, and this bike is so tall the pitbull front stand, which lifts from under the triple clamp, is not high enough to raise the wheel off the ground even when adjusted to maximum height.
One of my buddies suggested putting 2x4s under the wheels of the stand, but I thought that was kind of hokey.
I do have a center stand on the way, so then I can raise the front by putting weight on the rear, but I hate to think I can't use that nice expensive stand. Any ideas?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought a stand from SVRacing s few years ago that works fine on my 2011 DL650. I just checked and see he sells the pitbull brand stands that appear to work. I don't see the brand/model I purchased from him but do recall needing to use the most extended position. I do suspect pitbull have multiple models however. I do admit it was nice when I replaced the fork oil to be able to use one reecently.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick. The tall stand in the picture looks to be the same one I have, anyway it is adjustable. I emailed Blair, maybe he has the solution.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also have one that works great on my 11. Do you have the right pin? There is a chart that tells you the number pin used on which bike.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems I do not have the right pin. I've been communicating with Blair of Svracingparts and will be getting the correct pin soon.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have one that works great on my 11. Do you have the right pin? There is a chart that tells you the number pin used on which bike.
I now have the correct pin for the 650 vstrom, #8t, but while it fits perfectly into the steering stem by itself, when installed in the stand I can't seem to get the correct angle to let the pin slide fully into the bottom triple. It appears that the large front wheel is preventing the stand from moving far enough under to get the angle of the pin to match the triple, and as a result the bike will lift, but with the pin only halfway in and at the wrong angle, so cant turn the steering.
Am I missing something obvious here?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I now have the correct pin for the 650 vstrom, #8t, but while it fits perfectly into the steering stem by itself, when installed in the stand I can't seem to get the correct angle to let the pin slide fully into the bottom triple. It appears that the large front wheel is preventing the stand from moving far enough under to get the angle of the pin to match the triple, and as a result the bike will lift, but with the pin only halfway in and at the wrong angle, so cant turn the steering.
Am I missing something obvious here?

I've got the SV racing triple lift stand. It came with a long pin for the Strom.

I push the stand into the bike until the pin has got a straight shot at the triple clamp hole, lifting the lever a bit will clear the fender. Making sure that the pin is not pinching lines.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Roll it back and forth. One hand one the pin and the other rolling and lifting until the pin seats. Then lift and lock down.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Got the Suzuki option center stand too, and @ 80lbs on the back seat is enough to push down tbe back, raising the front. Also can use a small jack under the engine once it's on the c-stand, so there are options, but I'd still like to be able to use the pitbull.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To update, according to the general manager of pitbull I had an old style stand. The ones made after 2012 can accommodate the larger front wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those Pitbull stands make working on the front end so much easier! The only down side is that I have to still slightly jack up under the engine to lift the front end enough to get the tire out from under the fender. If the Pitbull stand would lift two inches higher it would roll out if tilted at an angle. And you do have to wiggle the pin while pushing on the handle to get the pin in properly, as it has to squeeze in between the brake lines. I put some lube on the pin to help slide it in (useful for other fun things in life too). LOL!

Rmpl

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To update, according to the general manager of pitbull I had an old style stand. The ones made after 2012 can accommodate the larger front wheel.
Just to update this again, I purchased the new pit bull front stand a while ago from Cycle Gear, and it works perfectly. The issue was the handle side not having a large enough "U" to allow the stand to roll far enough back. The height adjustment of the new stand has a better design as well, with grooved plates to lock the two sides in place so excessive torque on the bolts is not needed to keep it from moving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts