StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new to me 2008 v strom 1000. everything looked good, no leaks, ran healthy, sounds good. Im about to do an oil change and noticed this plastic thing around my drain plug. I thought it was just one of those automotive nylon gaskets. MY buddy seems to think that it is something to compensate for the bolt or the hole being stripped. anyone have any ideas?
I dont know what ill do if its stripped. id be pretty disappointed thats for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
The oil drain plug should only be tightened to 16.5 ft-lb. That is not a lot.
Simplest solution: When you need to remove the oil drain plug to do an oil change see if you can identify the insert and purchase a spare from your auto parts store to use when the oil drain plug can no longer be tightened to 16.5 ft lbs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive seen that before when the oil pan or case was stripped, and a self-tapping drain plug was used to.."repair" the threads. Remove the drain plug and see what you have.
Sadly I think MAZ4ME is right. It could be a major hassle to get it back to original but OTOH you might get away with this fix for a long time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On this topic of drain plug, I stripped mine several years ago, and was terrorized to see all that metal shavings coming out.
A helicoil thread insert was installed and is perfect, no problems, better than before.

Having said that, it is safer to be careful and not over torque AND get rid of that annoying OEM crush washer and install a new aluminum washer every time you change the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So good news guys. Its not stripped! It ended up being one of those plastic automotive style gaskets, which looked to be too big and melted around the bolt from the high heat. was a PIA to get off my bolt. i have now replaced it with an aluminum washer. good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts