StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 dl 1k, 62 k miles

Hi all,

I am having to pull the clutch lever all the way and even then sometimes it wants to roll.

I did my chain and sprocket 1k miles ago and noticed the slave cylinder rubber/was her was broken in two. I PUT IT BACK AS IS FOR THE TKME BEING THINKING ITS NO BIGHIE. No sign of leaks on it though. Back then there was no disengagement issue but I had to pull the lever all the way. I still have a leaky clutch pushrod seal!!

Recently changed the clutch fluid and bled it. Didn't make any difference. The previous owner had changed the slave maybe 20-25k ago.

So is my clutch slave shot?
Any other checks I should do?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,143 Posts
If you are not losing clutch fluid, and the system works at all, then flushing the system really well and bleeding it properly should help. Bleeding these properly isn't always going to happen first try, there can be air trapped in them and if trying to bleed on the side stand it can be impossible to get all the air out.

If you are certain the system is properly bled, and still there is no fluid loss, then the master cylinder could be bypassing. Not likely, but if it is you will not see any fluid loss ( it goes right back into the reservoir ). You might feel it bleed off when holding the lever down while in gear? Does it try harder to move forward the longer you hold it?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Probably not shot, but it may need some maintenance.

If the rubber boot is ripped, that suggests some sort of trauma has occurred.

Sometimes the piston can get cocked out of alignment and not want to slide properly. Maybe the pushrod is bent or is binding on the seal (you say it is leaky). Maybe the entire slave is not mounted correctly (there is a spacer and a dowel that keep things aligned).

As noted, perhaps you have air in the system, but it is pretty easy to bleed. Way more straightforward than brakes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are not losing clutch fluid, and the system works at all, then flushing the system really well and bleeding it properly should help. Bleeding these properly isn't always going to happen first try, there can be air trapped in them and if trying to bleed on the side stand it can be impossible to get all the air out.

If you are certain the system is properly bled, and still there is no fluid loss, then the master cylinder could be bypassing. Not likely, but if it is you will not see any fluid loss ( it goes right back into the reservoir ). You might feel it bleed off when holding the lever down while in gear? Does it try harder to move forward the longer you hold it?
I am sure the slave is not leaking.
Now thinking about bleeding the system, the lever was not getting stiffer. So even when I was getting fluid out of the system air was still trapped?
The bike was still on the side stand but I had it on a piece of wood to level the bike as much as i can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
The other thing you might want to check, is whether the slave was installed properly. Which means, with no hydraulic pressure in the system.

The maintenance manual suggests you tie off the clutch lever before taking out the slave, to avoid the piston popping out and spilling hydraulic fluid all over, but you HAVE TO release the lever just before you reinstall the slave back in place. This is not made clear in the manual, and as a result people install the slave under pressure. This leads to crooked installations, possible damage and binding.

As long as the pushrod is not bent, simply releasing and reinstalling the slave should be enough. Like others said, check the spacer and dowel pin are in the right place. And note that the two bolts are not of equal length. Check which one goes where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts