StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I tipped over my dl 650 abs. The only damage was to the hand brake lever---the ball at the end broke off. I went to the dealer and they want $79.00 for a new one. I said to them that I would pass on the purchase and try JBWeld . They said that would be a dangerous thing to do.
I have been ridding this way for a couple of weeks.
Are the people at dealer's correct? Any advice will help
Thanks,
Jerry

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
The J.B. will probably give you a pretty good mend. Just that if you really grab the lever it could break off. Would that effect your being able to stop?
Your call on that. You could J.B. Weld a small piece of aluminum stock to the top surface of the lever for added strength. Personally I wouldn't pay the money for a new lever.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
'" The only damage was to the hand brake lever---the ball at the end broke off." :confused:
So why are you fretting about the Ball end ? it only adds to the length 3/4 of an inch and you do not usually grab that far down the lever anyway.. take a moment to remove both levers and remove the clutch lever ball end, and smooth out the ends... :yesnod:

I mean, come on ...its a wee! they are " no balls" bikes at best :green_lol:

Seriously, I was joking with you all....

·
Registered
944 Posts
If it is just the ball I wouldn't worry about it. The ball is there for a reason thought; to keep your fingers from slipping off the lever so you should be aware of that.

But, many motocross levers are 'ball less' any way. If more than the ball broke off I would replace the lever. Just the ball then I would leave it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The only reason the ball is on the end is to prevent the thing from stabbing somebody by accident. It is not important to operation and is even weakened at the connection to the lever to be sacrificial.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a DRZ and broke off the ball end of the clutch lever. I made a jb-weld ball about the size of a pinball, made a little indentation in it then pushed it over the broken lever. Smoothed everything out let it dry over night and it worked great for years.

Ken

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
We have several "non-dealer" or used-bike dealers locally who also stock and order parts. It seems to me that I can get them to order almost any OEM part for about 60% of the MSRP asking price at the Suzuki dealer here in town. They will order the part I request, call me when it arrives, and if it doesn't fit or I don't like it, I don't have to pay for it. That's their deal. I haven't had to refuse anything yet, but I like their attitude!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jerry, I have an 07 non abs and did exactly the same thing a few months back. I too was horrified with how proud Suzuki was over their replacement levers. I bought the Parts Unlimited Lever GreyWolf was pointing you to (http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=44-3011&Category_Code=dl650_hand_cont). I have hand guards on my bike and initially it looked as if they were not going to fit. After some careful study, I realized that if I turned the bolt over that holds the adjustable piece to the main lever, it would fit. It was a little tricky to do but works just fine. Again, however, this may not be the case with the ABS unit and I don't know if you have handguards or not. Just thought I would mention what worked for me. Oh, and I ordered the part at my local dealership and didn't have to pay shipping either. They buy all kinds of stuff from Parts Unlimited.

Vic

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Weh I busted the ball off the end of the brake lever< I augmented a two-part epoxy putty with an 8/32 stainless machine screw tapped into the lever. It held for two years until the bike had another "gravity event".

I just screwed the ball back on and it looks good as new in an Appalachian-Engineering kinda way.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I also tried the JB weld on the brake lever, ended up being a messy pain in the ass(probably should have tried taking the lever off first but I'm not that smart). I just took some sand paper to the end of the lever and am now quite used to it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I've never had any luck getting a good bond to aluminum with epoxy. Reinforcing with a pin or screw though ilke Norm says, sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the JB Weld replies. I now havethrottle questions

Hello folks,
Thanks for all input to my JB weld question.However I need lot's of help with the following problem.I can't get the clutch and the throttle to synchronize properly.

I bought a new 2009 dl 650 ABS late last Nov.The following problem was there from the beginning- -pulling away from both a dead stop or at 15 mph,or less the bike bucks and wants to stall. I can only pull away slipping the clutch or going like a bat out of hell. This problem is most pronounced in the first 45 min of riding;but it doesn't get much better when the engine is fully warmed up.
At 200 miles I took it to the dealer who said "things will have to break in ,then it will be fine". The bike now has 800 mi and it's still not fine.
I'm taking the bike in this week,for it's overdue 600 mi service.I don't think the problem is the clutch .I feel that the throttle needs adjusting.
Can you help me understand this,so that I'm not brushed off at the dealer's.
Many Thanks,
Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts