StromTrooper banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes DDTM that's another reason I put mine in is so that hopefully others can see me a bit better and not run me over:) I hope it works but you will never know. Why are you burning birds out of trees?? lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have very similar H4 LED's to Pete on my 2010 DL650, just like your V-Strom. Both OEM bulbs are the same, meaning the 55/60 watt bulbs collectively draw 110 watts on low and 120 watts on high, compared to maybe 30 watts for the LED's.

To me the advantage is bright white light, compared to the grey colour of the OEM halogens. Aditionally the LEDS are texture free and clear unlike th OEMs.
They must project some scatter although nobody ever flashes me as all the roadside reflective signs show clearly even though the low beam cutoff is clear down the road.

I have these. Like Pete's a direct swap with no extra bits required. They are called 60watt but are a 60 watt equivalent. Additionally these have a small fan in the base which circulates the heat out of the bulb and into the headlight enclosure.
I will add something here, as I have been running city lights by Philips for 8 years. One thing many are not aware of, I was using the Osram 65 watt night breaker on my 07 Versys and then a short time on my 2015. That 65 watt or 55 watt is not actual watts. Incandescent bulbs are rated at 12 VDC , using a amprobe, my 65 watt Osram were actually 90 Watts at 14.2 VDC. my series regulator output. Suzuki made advances over their regulator compared to Kawsaki , Kawsaki is still like a 3 transistor radio in 1967.
As to good LED lights I have them, over 400 hours on them, they have a driver and a fan at the light, they are roughly 6000 lumen at 32 watts-9 to 32 VDC input. Unlike incandescent which in creases wattage as the voltage increases, LED actually has a lower current at a higher voltage, wattage remains constant. I have SafeGo -on a side note, the reflector sucks on the Versys, large aircraft attempting to land can see me, it is great for delivering pizza as I can read house addresses like daytime. As to better light on the road, about equal to the 2000 lumen Osram , but at less than half the wattage.
Led city lights on Versys
Liquid Toy Font Gadget Gas

My SafeGo
Bumper Audio equipment Automotive tire Electronic instrument Gadget

Font Wood Motor vehicle Commemorative plaque Signage

Automotive lighting Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive mirror

Reactions: Gert and Brockie

·
Registered
146 Posts
One thing I am dealing with right now, headlight relay failure on the 650 Versys ( not my bike another Canadian). Something many give no thought to, inrush current, typically 10X that of running current, so that 55 watt headlight say at 12.9 volts is closer to 60 Watts. The inrush current is roughly 60W X 10 =600 watts and at 14.2 VDC =42.25 amp for 3 to 5 milli seconds.

The headlight relay has a 20 amp inrush current rating on the Versys--Be aware that inrush current is on your light switch for the Strom
That 36-watt SafeGo draws 2.53 Amp at 14.2 VDC-period- no inrush

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There are other advantages as well. With the Gen 2 DL650's either low or hi beam is on. With incandescents there's a delay between one going off and the other reaching full brightness. LED's the switching is much faster.

Doesn't matter on a straight road, but on the winding mountain roads here at night that gap is well worth losing. Once I found LEDs with the correct beam pattern there have been no downsides.

·
Registered
K9 Wee
451 Posts
I installed an earlier version of these in spring of 2020.
Amazon cheapies...
Pretty easy fit. Nice and bright. I rarely ride a night, but when I have had to do it, these buggers lit up the road.
I mainly switched to LED to reduce the amp draw on the system. Especailly when starting the bike.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts