StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry but I'm going to throw a little twist into the LED bulb conversion. Has or does anyone use a regular H4 bulb or LED bulb that is YELLOW? I'm considering running just one in my Wee.
Having driven cars with yellow JDM style headlights....I hope you don't ride in the night. You might as well turn off the headlights, the moon will provide more light. You can't see shit.

It's great for foggy days, or daytime. Night time....no.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well my new bulbs are suppose to arrive today sometime so if it all works out I will have them changed out by the end of today. I will try to remember to take a picture or two as in a before and after. Also is there anything else someone wants me to test or check in regards to the bulbs since I am doing them anyway? Remember its winter up her in Canada and its -20 below (-5 F) so when I roll the strom out to shoot the beam on the garage door that will be a cold experience. Okay let me know....thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Okay here's the results of the bulbs being switched out.
pic 1- old low bulbs
pic 2- old high beam bulbs
pic 3 - one old bulb on low with one new led bulb on low
pic 4- one old beam on high with one new led bulb on high
pic 5 - two new led on low
pic 6 - two new led on high
pic 7 - front headlight view on low with led

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I don't know but the new LED bulbs definitely seem brighter plus I like the white. The bike was approx 10 feet from the garage door and the black tape on the door was the old bulbs low beam spread and the red tape was the old bulbs high beam spread. I was just making sure that the new LED bulbs fit inside the spread so that I don't blind anyone. It was a 10 minute job to switch them out and for the power saving along with the extra brightness I am very happy with the new LED bulbs. Thanks to the two gentlemen that suggested and tried these bulbs before:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'll wait till spring before I start messing with the alignment. I don't suppose there is an adjustment knob to adjust the bulbs like on my Goldwing? How do you adjust them? Screws?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I ended up going with the Beamtech off of Amazon for $48 Canadian. They are 25 watts per bulb and have no fan. Here is the official title on Amazon.ca BEAMTECH H4 LED Bulb, S1 Series 8000LM 50W CSP Chips Conversion Kit Fanless Cool White All In One Plug N Play Halogen Replacement Pack of 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought these, BEAMTECH H4 LED Bulb, S1 Series 8000LM 50W www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ, off of Amazon a bit over three years ago. Less than 40 bucks a pair and they plugged right in. Work great.

08 Wee
Just ordered the Beam-techs and installed today. Amazingly brighter than the halogen bulbs and my voltage meter is now at 14V at idle vs the 11.5-12V that I was getting with heated grips on previously. Bike was never registering much over 13.2V while riding and less at idle. Have trunk with installed brake lights, and would dip to 10.8V at idle at stop light with signal and brakes on.

Beam spread for high/low seems very good. Similar to stock, no readjustment needed. Install was easy, results are great if they last!

I’ll post up a couple photos of them on at night soon, failed to take any last night when I tried them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 to 105,000 mi, then 2005 DL650 over 50,000 mi
651 Posts
For $39 I bought these for my 2005 DL650:
AUXITO H4 9003 HB2 LED Bulb Fanless, Adjustable Beam 6500K Xenon White, 200% Night Visibility Dual Beam Conversion Kit Pack of 2

I wanted something without fans. The get almost to hot to touch, but I've put many hours on them this summer and fall. Unfortunately I even crash tested them, and they and I still work fine.

They are much brighter than my old (maybe original 2005 lights wtih 55,000 miles on them). Pretty easy to install, but do have a extra lump that hangs out into the free space.

I agree that the Strom has always had great stock lights. And that you should adjust them first, because it's very likely they are not setup perfectly unless you have. I do like the old twin lights better than the new stroms with only one. I had adjusted mine to by cross-eyed and a little lower on the left side towards oncoming traffic. I pick up my new 1050XT this weekend so I don't yet know the pleasure of the OEM LED option (last years test ride was done in the daylight).

For the amazon lights I listed above the bright white is more obnoxious when you're riding with others, and for oncoming traffic. Not as bad as another Strom riders LED option. His are just blinding, and probably not adjust correctly. I looked at his once and found they had been flipped upside down so the pattern was way off. Mine do fit upside down, and I had it wrong on the first install. On one summer camping trip to VT I felt a bit self conscious riding through a campground after dark. Even though the area was all bikers at a VT BMW rally. I've always liked riding a nice quiet Strom in campgrounds. So I'm not fond of being the guy blinding everyone. It's the one time when I think having aux LED lights would be better, because I could just flip them off.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
That's why I commented that most LED bulbs are crap.

Even of the ones that fit properly I've only ever found one manufacturer who got the beam pattern close to right. As far as I can tell mine are only annoying because they are so bright and if I don't dip them in time it's a problem.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
Adjusting the headlights are easy enough. That first LED seems way to high.
The old fashioned way to adjust headlight beams is to measure the height of the centre of the headlight (i.e. the bulb) and mark on the wall/door 10 feet away a line 1" below, and keep the low beam line no higher than that line.
Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Tire Rectangle

Odd that both seem to have a different focus. Ensure that both bulbs are seated properly.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll wait till spring before I start messing with the alignment. I don't suppose there is an adjustment knob to adjust the bulbs like on my Goldwing? How do you adjust them? Screws?
Nice photos to document change!

That right bulb may be upside down. I almost got one of mine wrong after I took the collar off to install rubber boot. It will fit either way.

Light blocker on the more forward LED emitter should be down. Blocks light from LED from going down which hits reflector of headlight housing and sends light up.

Since your lights appear to be aligned well before the bulb swap I don’t think alignment is your problem. Either not seated properly or upside down on the right bulb.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey Luke, thanks for the help and yes I think you are right! I watched a video on it last night so I have to take one of the bulbs out and switch the holder around 180 degrees which will switch the bulb around. the high beam part is suppose to be on the bottom when it is installed and done. Thanks again

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Adjusting the headlights are easy enough. That first LED seems way to high.
The old fashioned way to adjust headlight beams is to measure the height of the centre of the headlight (i.e. the bulb) and mark on the wall/door 10 feet away a line 1" below, and keep the low beam line no higher than that line. View attachment 294735
Odd that both seem to have a different focus. Ensure that both bulbs are seated properly.
Thanks for your help Brockie!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Luke, thanks for the help and yes I think you are right! I watched a video on it last night so I have to take one of the bulbs out and switch the holder around 180 degrees which will switch the bulb around. the high beam part is suppose to be on the bottom when it is installed and done. Thanks again
Don’t have to pull the holder unless base plate is installed wrong.

Just turn the heat sink part CCW. It should turn slightly then pull out. You can flip the bulb part 180 degrees and put back if the 3 prong base plate is correctly installed.

Don’t even have to pull rubber boot or anything.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Made the switch this summer. My worry now is the gendarmes and burning birds out of the trees. I agree the OEM are pretty darn good, but the LEDS are REALLY darn good as in better. I don't ride at night much, if at all unless something happens and I get delayed stopping or getting home. My main reason was to be seen better. I may have made a mistake and may be attracting the law. Fortunately the lights are white without any blue tint, so I can avoid that hassle. The OEM rubber boats will have to be "trimmed" to fit the new LEDS...if I ever get around to it.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts