StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
LED headlights are just not quite ready for prime time on a bike that gets ridden frequently at night.
I installed LED's on my 2015 DL1000. Mainly becuase the H7 Low beam bulbs kept burning out. I installed a fanless LED bulb and once I got it adjusted properly it was pretty decent. That particular bulb separated into two parts. I then tried a different LED that had a fan (it was an update of the fanless bulb) and that worked properly no issues. The cutoff was quite sharp. No negtives I can think of. I added an H9 LED for the high beam and the expression "Let there be light!" cam to mind whenever I switched on the highs.

..Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
I installed LED's on my 2015 DL1000. Mainly becuase the H7 Low beam bulbs kept burning out. I installed a fanless LED bulb and once I got it adjusted properly it was pretty decent. That particular bulb separated into two parts. I then tried a different LED that had a fan (it was an update of the fanless bulb) and that worked properly no issues. The cutoff was quite sharp. No negtives I can think of. I added an H9 LED for the high beam and the expression "Let there be light!" cam to mind whenever I switched on the highs.

..Tom
I tried LEDs in my Toyota Tacoma first, well respected bulbs with good reviews, that I researched, these lights are designed to mimic an H4 bulbs filament location.
High beam isn't hardly descernible from the std beam, and there's not enough juice to trigger the high beam light on the trucks dash.
Scatter was awful, and while bright these bulbs didn't send light very far down the road. The bulb and the base on these lights were not manufactured with a reasonable level of tolrance even with their special design, it doesn't matter if you have to turn the bulb to align the mounting tabs so the hot spot isn't where it's designed for an H4 Halogen bulb. With the scatter, brightness and lack of penetration these lights only have brightness as seen from the front going for them.
I was hoping to add these bulbs to my other truck that's used as our RV and sees a lot of night miles.

I've also put them in a Baja Design dual sport light, a BMW R100GS and a Motoguzzi T3.
On these three bikes there were different issues based on the specific bulbs (I used different bulbs each time trying to find one that works)
All of these are H4 bulbs.
Sometimes the cut off is bad, sometimes it's light scatter, one the CRF230 the bulb's fan is so loud you can hear it while the engine is running with earplugs in.

I go with LED lights because they use less juice and for the most part I don't ride these bikes at night, but I want the conspicuity of the headlight being on.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
LED headlights are just not quite ready for prime time on a bike that gets ridden frequently at night.
My bikes DO get ridden frequently at night in the country on two lane roads with oncoming traffic. I hate when I get blinded by oncoming lights and am very aware of what my lights are doing to oncoming traffic.

Maybe I just got lucky, maybe H7 setup isn't as particular as H4. Whatever the reason they worked very well. (And off course the factory LED headlight on my 1050 works very well but that's a different story.)

..Tom

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It's simpler than that, most of the LED lights available are junk. I have H4's on my DL650 and the wife's CTX and H7/H9 on my DL1000. All from the same manufacturer. All work at least as well as incandescents.

The cutoff on the 1000 was so sharp that I was able to adjust the low beam by simply dialing it up until the dark stripe between high and low beams disappeared. You literally could put a ruler across the cutoff lines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not exactly. Your alternator produces a set amount of electricity and any that isn't used has to be shunted somewhere. The Vstrom uses a rectifier to convert the excess power to heat, if you start dumping more power--because your headlamps are using less--you can fry the rectifier eventually. There are better rectifiers available, but then your cheap upgrade isn't so cheap. I went ahead and put LEDs on my Wee last year, because the stock lights are pretty terrible. No issues so far. I've heard the first-gen lights are pretty good, not sure I'd mess with them.
I actually replaced the regulator/rectifier on my Gen3 Wee with a clone of a Compu-Fire 40A unit that doesn't shunt to ground, but cuts back the draw off the generator, which not only runs cooler, but also helps keep the generator cooler since it's not working as hard. I posted about it on another thread, but I've replaced both headlights and the turn signals with LEDs, and I've got enough free wattage to run a pair of fog/driving lights, my heated jacket, electric gloves and heated grips, and still show 14 volts on the dash. With the old bulbs, I was running in the low 13s with everything on. The regulator/rectifier cost me $50 and an hour or so to connect it up. I'm happy with it, and even with everything running, the unit never gets hot to the touch.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
All LED headlight bulbs are NOT equal and todays budget bulbs were the latest and greatest a few years ago.
My first LED's were damn awful for scatter and that is why I eventually upgraded them.
Luckily there is more than one manufacturer and so the manufacturers are always upgrading their products to remain competitive.
Evolution at work.
It is the same with all consumers goods. That cheap notebook may do the job but it will never do it as well as the new model out.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I'd almost agree with that but for the sheer number of shit LED's still on sale :), most of which are "new models". At least with notebooks the cheap shit does tend to go away after a while.

That's why I posted the ebay link, not because I'm suggesting you buy those because it's going to be hard ask for anywhere but Oz, but the images of them are good and the features that make them work are visible in the picture.

H4 - an actual shield to block stray light, separator between the two sides is thin, LED's are thin, LED's are offset. All those things are needed to get the eventual beam pattern close to the original incandescent the reflector was designed for.

Without all those things it's going to be a POS no matter how many lumens it claims to put out. Even WITH all those features it may not be great but at least you've knocked out 95% of the crap just checking for those things.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well after all that ... I think I am going to go with these: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08N3T14SR...colid=JGM7F4F55ETG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . They are almost exactly what others in here have tried and are using and fit well. Funny thing is on Amazon they say they will not fit but I contacted the company and they said they will fit but maybe they are just trying to sell me some:) So as long as these are plug and play then I get better lighting, save a few watts /amps and people can hopefully see me better as not to bang into me with there cars and trucks. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Let us know how they work in practice. They don't look like a disaster from a quick skim of the pictures.
Technology looks similar to the ones I use, unfortunately there's only one way to be sure they work.

And as a comment - about heat, those reflectors are already designed to act as a heat sink for heat from conventional bulbs which are a LOT less efficient than the LED's, that's how they get away with fanless, there's already a big heatsink designed in. If you want to improve matters, a THIN coat of heatsink grease (PC CPU heatsink grease) on the top plate of the base where it mounts to the reflector will improve matters as well. (THIN coat)

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought these, BEAMTECH H4 LED Bulb, S1 Series 8000LM 50W www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ, off of Amazon a bit over three years ago. Less than 40 bucks a pair and they plugged right in. Work great.

08 Wee

Reactions: GFHVstrom

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sounds good. I checked out the beam techs and whats funny is when I click on your link it takes me to Amazon.com (American version) and on the top it says " this fits your 2009 V-Strom" so then I go to the Canadian version (.ca) and it says it doesn't fit...lol If you guys say it is good and it fits good then that will be the one that I will switch to. They are only 25 watts per bulb so that's good. Thanks for everyone's help on this subject and I will get back with a review of the Beam techs once I can drive again in like 6 months .....:(

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Just curious, not critical: what problem are you all trying to solve by wading into this mess? At least on my '08 Wee, those stock lights were amazing. Definitely no functional reason to change them. Are you all running so much powered gear that power draw is an issue?

I rode that bike for 13 years, and while I did swap the tail lights for LEDs just for fun, I never ran into a lack of electrons, even with heated gear. I did install a headlight cutout just in case the stator failed, to help me limp to town, but in practice that was never needed either.

I admit I've not put nearly enough time on the '21 in the dark to have an intelligent opinion on that one yet.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
Not saying that the Wee lights are poor but if you changed to good LED's you would not change back. The light is whiter, brighter, and texture free.
The power saving and reduced load on the starter switch is a bonus.
One day I must put my meter on them as I believe manufacturers overstate the draw. In my lounge I replaced four light fittings, each with three 80 watt bulbs, with four 14 watt LED lights. That is a 960 watt draw replaced with a 56 watt draw, with a resulting increase in light.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Not saying that the Wee lights are poor but if you changed to good LED's you would not change back. The light is whiter, brighter, and texture free.
The power saving and reduced load on the starter switch is a bonus.
Oh, no doubt about the character of the light. I was kind of bummed that the '21 Wee didn't have LEDs. However, given the significant risk of degrading your headlights in some important way that many riders may not understand, I just wondered what the driver was behind all this trouble to swap out stock bulbs. Seems like a lot of potential downside to not much upside.

I was happy to see some informed discussion here of reflector design. One thing I think is not at all widely understood is that the reflectors are designed for a particular bulb type, not just anything with the right base that you can fit there!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Just curious, not critical: what problem are you all trying to solve by wading into this mess? At least on my '08 Wee, those stock lights were amazing. Definitely no functional reason to change them.
Kangaroos :)

The stock lights on the Gen 1 DL's were fantastic, Gen 2 not so much and I really appreciated the extra light from LED's here riding at night. The throw is better and in my case at least does more to light up the road edges.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Kangaroos :)

The stock lights on the Gen 1 DL's were fantastic, Gen 2 not so much and I really appreciated the extra light from LED's here riding at night. The throw is better and in my case at least does more to light up the road edges.
Well, that's a good reason! I'd imagine a kangaroo probably hurts more than a deer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry but I'm going to throw a little twist into the LED bulb conversion. Has or does anyone use a regular H4 bulb or LED bulb that is YELLOW? I'm considering running just one in my Wee.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry but I'm going to throw a little twist into the LED bulb conversion. Has or does anyone use a regular H4 bulb or LED bulb that is YELLOW? I'm considering running just one in my Wee.
No, however I bought some yellow spotlight gels in the hope of cutting through foggy mornings. I haven't tried it yet but hope to try it out soon.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

21 - 40 of 70 Posts