StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I just got my 2009 strom 650 and I was wondering if it is worth switching the headlights out to LED like I did in my car and truck. The headlights on the V strom are pretty good and you can see alright at night but here's my questions:

1.) When you are driving with your low beam on are both bulbs on low beam and then when you switch to high beam both beams switch to high beam or...Is one off for low beam and then they both come on for high beam? (sorry its winter here in Saskatchewan and my bike is in storage)

2.) How many watts of power will you save from regular bulbs to the LED bulbs when in low bean and high beam? The person that I bought the bike off of went as far as to unplug his right headlight to save some power for his heated clothing which sounds crazy and dangerous to me so I plugged them in.

3.) Does anyone know which LED bulbs would fit my 09 x 650 ?

Thanks for your help as always

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If you are stupid enough to ride at night, yes.

1) H4 from memory, low is low beam on (only), high is high beam on (only).

2) Around 90W on that gen DL. (2x60W halogens replaced with 2x~15W LED)

3) H4. Problem is most are garbage.

Note that you CAN get good LED's which are just plug and play and a direct drop in replacement. i.e. no ballasts, no lumps of copper tape, no extra wires.
The ones I got in Australia are below and there WILL be sources local to you so I'd suggest finding something more local. In general the good ones will have a physical shield to keep the light where it should be, the leds will be in thin lines and offset to match normal bulb beam pattern as much as possible and will be plug & play (Which is done by using a real power supply in the base).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete for responding. So you are saying that both lights turn on for low beam and both lights turn on for high beam right? I would save approx 90 watts running both bulbs on high beam? Wow thats quite alot and alot of strain off of the charging system isnt it? Also thats all I have to look for is H4 and they would be plug and play on my 2009? Thanks again

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey ST, yes that is what I am looking at. Saving some power on the road so I can use it else where to charge up some camp things but if it saves that much wear and tear on your charging system then I think that would be good no? Also if it is brighter that's not a bad thing either. I am looking on amazon and else where for the led bulbs for my rig but its a hard find.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I have those on my 2012 650 and on my wife's CTX700. They aren't the brightest LED bulbs around but they are bright enough, the light goes where it should and install was trouble free. I do ride at night and the extra light and better than halogen beam pattern is a win. The CTX700 I'd class them as life saving even for daytime use, Honda put a really shit headlight in that and being black not being seen was an issue before I changed it out.

The amps do need to be freed up :). On that generation DL it's three choices anyway. Burn up the headlight wiring, buy an Eastern Beaver relay kit or run LED H4's.

The LED H4's aren't a bad price once you realize how often that wiring or the connector dies.

As I said, there are alternates, mainly check the images of what you are buying for the shield on the LEDS, how narrow the LEDS are, how thin the mount is and that the LEDS are offset. I'd advise avoiding the really cheap ones and the ones that claim insane output.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Two relatively recent threads worth checking out. Pay special attention to Brockie's post #4 in the second thread, which should link directly:

(And this reminds me, I'm due to upgrade my LED bulbs, as I know they're of an older design.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice Pete. What lumen are your led bulbs? Also I wonder what the lumens are on the stock bulbs that are in there. I agree with ST that the stock ones are pretty good but these old eyes are liking things to be a little more brighter now a days. Also if it can help people avoid hitting me with their vehicle that would be a bonus. I put LED bulbs in my truck and I can't believe the difference. It is like night and day.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
@TonyE

LED's can be wonderful in many ways.

Before you get LED's make sure you sync your left and right headlights so that they are aiming at the right height. Don't add the LED's until you do that. Once you have the headlights synced it will be a lost easier to aim the headlights when you add LED's.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
@TonyE — Don't get too hung up on the lumen ratings. They're all over the map, and are almost always theoretical, assuming maximum efficiency. In other words, completely unrealistic and meaningless. Your best bet is to find a model well-reviewed by people with the same bike (since different reflectors in different models can produce different results), with the attributes noted by Brockie in the linked thread above, and in your price range.

For conspicuity, consider adding a cheap set of aux lights, fog / daytime running. I mounted mine fairly wide and low on the crash bars to create a decent sized triangle. The spread helps other motorists gauge my distance and speed (if they're paying attention, that is).

For a variety of DL650-specific bits, including some moderately priced aux lights, check out Adventuretech.biz. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Good advice Pete. What lumen are your led bulbs? Also I wonder what the lumens are on the stock bulbs that are in there. I agree with ST that the stock ones are pretty good but these old eyes are liking things to be a little more brighter now a days. Also if it can help people avoid hitting me with their vehicle that would be a bonus. I put LED bulbs in my truck and I can't believe the difference. It is like night and day.
Where I live there's a limit on what a headlight can put out. Stock halogens are legal at 1200 lumens, these are brighter and enough brighter than I don't need aux lights (Claim is 6000lm, I doubt that myself). I haven't been hassled officially yet, but I have seen another rider pulled over for LED's (which were purple - come on).

Most of the LED's the spec'd output is a pack of lies anyway :), finding something that actually works with the right beam pattern is the win. A lot less current draw and enough extra light it's useful and not blinding other road users was the objective.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,609 Posts
I have very similar H4 LED's to Pete on my 2010 DL650, just like your V-Strom. Both OEM bulbs are the same, meaning the 55/60 watt bulbs collectively draw 110 watts on low and 120 watts on high, compared to maybe 30 watts for the LED's.

To me the advantage is bright white light, compared to the grey colour of the OEM halogens. Aditionally the LEDS are texture free and clear unlike th OEMs.
They must project some scatter although nobody ever flashes me as all the roadside reflective signs show clearly even though the low beam cutoff is clear down the road.

I have these. Like Pete's a direct swap with no extra bits required. They are called 60watt but are a 60 watt equivalent. Additionally these have a small fan in the base which circulates the heat out of the bulb and into the headlight enclosure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1.) When you are driving with your low beam on are both bulbs on low beam and then when you switch to high beam both beams switch to high beam or...Is one off for low beam and then they both come on for high beam?
Depends on the bulb. Halogen, pressing the flasher turns on the high beam with the low beam. Switching to high beam turns off the low beam.

LED bulbs just do one or another.

Make sure to get the same LED bulb that is in the same design as the original H4 bulb -- as in it has the same cut out and same shape as the original halogen bulb. With that you get the clearly defined cut off point with the headlight.

Far too many people install random LED lights in housings that were specifically designed for one bulb and the light scatter is horrible.

I have done a couple writes up on this forum about it, you can search my post history for that.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
937 Posts
The heading caught my eye so I was mildly interested. Having read all of the above I think I will leave well enough alone. :geek:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I switched my '02 DL1000 to LED headlights. I got these ones:

Fairly expensive, especially after shipping and import taxes, but they should last the lifetime of the bike.

Unlike the ones Brockie has, these are fanless, and just rely on a large-ish passive heatsink in the back to get rid of the heat. Still a small heatsink though, nowhere near big enough to cause a problem in mounting the lights.

A couple of notes.

1. The light from these LEDs is much whiter than from halogens, so the result looked horrible in combination with the yellow-ish '02 halogen position lights (which might be on EU-spec bikes only). To fix that I also switched all other lights to LED. Bike looks good now - same color white all around the bike. It even makes the bike look a lot more "modern".

2. These Sealights are almost completely plug and play: Take off the connector, take off the rubber boot, remove the old halogen bulb by undoing the spring clip. Remove the collar from the LED, put the collar behind the spring clip, put the rubber boot on, insert the LED through the rubber boot into the collar, twist into place, connect the connector and zip-tie the additional wiring to the frame. Less than five minutes easily.

3. No need to mess with wiring. Low/high beams and flash-to-pass still work as before. Arguably you also don't need a relay kit anymore (like the Eastern Beaver relay kit) since the current through the handlebars is much reduced. I already had the EB kit, so I left it in place.

4. These Sealights put the LED filament in the same place as a halogen filament, but the filaments are slightly wider. This means that the beam pattern has a slightly less sharp cut-off, and there's a little more light scattering about. That might annoy any oncoming traffic a bit more. This is the reason LED replacements are not legal here in the EU - but it's only illegal when you get caught, right?

5. Power savings is indeed around 40W per bulb on low beams (55 vs. 15W), so 80W in total. Additional LEDs around the bike gave me another 20W or so, so I now have about 100W extra for aux lights, heated gear, heated grips and whatnot. Still not excessive, but it's something. And considering the '02 has a 375W charging system to begin with, saving 100W is actually quite a lot.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey ST, yes that is what I am looking at. Saving some power on the road so I can use it else where to charge up some camp things but if it saves that much wear and tear on your charging system then I think that would be good no?
Not exactly. Your alternator produces a set amount of electricity and any that isn't used has to be shunted somewhere. The Vstrom uses a rectifier to convert the excess power to heat, if you start dumping more power--because your headlamps are using less--you can fry the rectifier eventually. There are better rectifiers available, but then your cheap upgrade isn't so cheap. I went ahead and put LEDs on my Wee last year, because the stock lights are pretty terrible. No issues so far. I've heard the first-gen lights are pretty good, not sure I'd mess with them.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
... I went ahead and put LEDs on my Wee last year, because the stock lights are pretty terrible. No issues so far. I've heard the first-gen lights are pretty good, not sure I'd mess with them.
Stock lights on my 2012 DL650 were great! They were every bit as good as my (properly adjusted!) 2006 DL650 headlights were once the 2012 headlights were properly adjusted.

Properly adjusted LED's would be even better of course but people should always first adjust the stock headlights taking extra care to sync the left and right side on twin headlight setups.

(There is a reason why "Properly adjusted" keeps being repeated!)

..Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm not running LED headlights, but I have switched my turnsignals, tail and stop lights to LEDs
I don't need extra electricity on my DL650.

From what I've found and the research that I've done and my own practical experience.
LED headlights are just not quite ready for prime time on a bike that gets ridden frequently at night.

ON a classic bike with a marginal charging system, that's ridden during the day. Sure, I think LEDs are ok for that.

But for me, my riding and on my DL650. Not yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i did these because the fit completely in reflector (no protrusion in back and cooling fan protected), lowered amps through problem capable starter button, free up some amps for aux conspicuosity lights. Works well > 1.5 yrs, very bright (better than oem) for when I do ride at night, same light spread and good cutoff as oem, high beam useless on my roads (goes too high- maybe good for open flat lands), wish low and high beams went on when flicking to high beam

1 - 20 of 70 Posts