StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes there is a better way but a little bit of equipment is needed to do it yourself, it quickly pays for itself though. I have 7 bikes and have not paid to have a tire changed in about 5 years now, I change 2 or 3 a year and have paid for my equipment many times over.

Randy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I plan on making a simple balancer myself. I'm sure the bearings on the item you posted are simple rollerblade wheel bearings. Only problem is they usually sell the bearings 16 to a pack. I would only need 4.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is my little sketch for the balancer. I'd put some washers to space out the bearings from the aluminum carriers. I've seen this design on the internet before, couldn't find a page about it though. It was an old page.

I plan on making this for my next tire change. I can rest it on some jack stands, attach them to a fancy pvc stand, or hang it from some ceiling beams. Should be just as good as the item posted. You can buy the rollerblade bearings in ABEC-3, 5, 7, and 9 I believe. They are not that expensive even for the ABEC-9 ones. Maybe $20 for 16 a pack. Just stop by your nearest sports store.

If you find some people to split out the bearings and the L beam should less than 5 bucks to make. After watching a couple of tire changing vids, you realize its pretty simple. Don't need much special equipment at all.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6767523&postcount=61

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts