StromTrooper banner

Would you join a New England V-Strom Club?

• Live in New England, yes, I'd join

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Live in New England, No, I would not join

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Live outside New England, yes, I'd join

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roy B told me they tried to start one back in 2004 but didn't have the numbers at the time.

Nowadays, you can make a Facebook Group page for free (instead of a website) and do any payments via PayPal, and/or do it in conjunction with this site if that works for everyone. We would probably only need to have dues of $10-20 per year, and could probably get vendors to kick in some coupons and discounts to cover that. Perhaps have a roster of owners for emergency help, and maybe a monthly breakfast like YB does.

With the event scheduled in August in VT, and V-Strom turnout at events like Cromag (4 in 2008, 12 in 2010), maybe it's time? Does anyone see any benefit? What events or activities would be worthwhile?

There are several regional clubs that I see as good patterns. One is Yankee Beemers (Eat to Ride, Ride to Eat), the other is BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont.

I think V-Strom owners are more independent than most marquee club owners, so we would have to embrace that. To make it unique, maybe we could add our own cheerleading squad?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What of Stromtroopers? ST pretty much fills the need, I'd say.

...and FB is not for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Personally, I like the idea, as a concept.
I dislike having it driven by Facebook. My hockey team now does all its communication via FB instead of a webpage or emails, and that means I had to make a FB profile to view the page. :thumbdown: With that came all the inherent problems of being "on facebook". I unsubscribed.
I think a .info or .us website can be had very cheaply thru a place like go daddy, and I dont personally mind paying $10 or $20 a year to help support a place I get something out of.
Where I see this falling down is in the fact that New England is big and diverse and Stroms are relatively scarce. It might be beneficial to get something like this rolling on the E.Mass level or W.Mass level get some interest then move on to world domination, I mean- multi-state wide.
Chris

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I am satisfied with what is currently in place now.

B.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, with only two votes in favor we maybe ought ti think in terms of "breakfast" than "club".

But we can make up a badass name. NESTROM. V-NE. Wild Hogs. Because we ill need hats.....:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
We do need a regional ride section though
In the past, it's been in the New England section, but nobody has been posting rides recently, except for your event.

Many of us are solo acts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Because we ill need hats.....:green_lol:
...not to mention stickers.:beatnik:

I'm interested but not in the Facebook part. Ten or twenty bucks for dues doesn't phase me. Having to ride too many miles on interstates does, though.

I'm a relatively new rider and would enjoy meeting seasoned Wee and Vee riders with whom I (at least) share the common interest in our steed of choice.
I'm finding I get sort of 'blank stares' from cruisers in shorts and tank-tops when I pull in next to them, in my high-viz jacket, full-face helmet and overpants, at roadside overlooks and gas stations.

I'm still undecided about the VT gathering as I might have to fly out to Chi-town on business that week.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It sounds like a decent idea but facebook is a no go here too.

The NE regional rides thing could be good but i think that most of us just get on and go when we want to ride.

A few rides a year set up in our area to ride as a group could be cool.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
//I'm finding I get sort of 'blank stares' from cruisers in shorts and tank-tops when I pull in next to them, in my high-viz jacket, full-face helmet and overpants, at roadside overlooks and gas stations. //
A lot of HD owners purchase the "Badass in a can" option.

It comes with a flat black 1/2 helmet, some fingerless gloves, a black HD tshirt, jeans, and black leather work boots.

Some are posers, some like the feeling of the wind and accept the risks, and some are dumbasses.

Here's me being all badass on my Sportster. Skipped the overpants for khakis....

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think we should just take over YB. We can call it Yankee Veemers.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm ok with a club but FB turns me off also. I would just like to ride once in awhile with you guys as most of the guys I know that ride are on cruisers.
Seems we could just post here and get together, No? Joe

·
Registered
182 Posts
Club... not necessary.

Would I normally be interested in, "Let's meet _someplace cool_ for lunch" . or "Anyone want to take a ride to up Mt. Washington today" type of thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts