StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my new 2011 Wee. It's been some time since I purchased a new vehicle, but I'm fairly certain that I should get a bill of sale that itemized purchase price, taxes paid, etc. I financed through Suzuki and got the loan document which shows only the total paid (including side bags and rack).

When I called the dealer, he said that loan paperwork is all I get. It has the amount financed. I told him that I itemize my taxes and thought I should get a bill of sale that included purchase price separate of taxes. He said "no." But he did offer to screen print the DMV (California department of motor vehicles) numbers.

Am I the only one that finds this strange?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I recently bought my new 2011 Wee. It's been some time since I purchased a new vehicle, but I'm fairly certain that I should get a bill of sale that itemized purchase price, taxes paid, etc. I financed through Suzuki and got the loan document which shows only the total paid (including side bags and rack).

When I called the dealer, he said that loan paperwork is all I get. It has the amount financed. I told him that I itemize my taxes and thought I should get a bill of sale that included purchase price separate of taxes. He said "no." But he did offer to screen print the DMV (California department of motor vehicles) numbers.

Well, as I recall, normally YOU pay the taxes as the buyer. But, if you paid the taxes/reg fees to the seller to handle for you (since it was a dealer....I think they can do this or must do this?)..you should have received a receipt from them and a copy of ALL paperwork. If you didn't, something seems odd.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Sounds like your dealer knows he's going out of business soon.
I'd look around for another palce to do your maintenance and pray your bike doesn't get reposessed.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Just worry about the Title. In Cali should you get a title showing a lien holder or does Suzuki get to keep the title till its paid off.

In CT and NY on ly the title matters

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Just worry about the Title. In Cali should you get a title showing a lien holder or does Suzuki get to keep the title till its paid off.

In CT and NY on ly the title matters

MY experience the bank get the title till you pay off the loan, all you get is the loan documents, the bank owns the bike, In my state, NH you get a title application showing bank as lein holder that you use to register the vehicle

usually after loan is paid it takes bank a couple weeks to send you the title

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Every motorcycle I sold went out the door with a complete, detailed bill of sale, along with copies the loan paperwork, DMV forms, warranty information, etc.

Why wouldn't the dealer want you to have a detailed bill of sale? Even Burger King gives you that.

·
Registered
267 Posts

Just go straight to the source ( DMV in your state) and ask them. I am sure if there are irregulars in your transaction they can get it straighten out for you. No brainer.............. :confused:

I know here in Illinois we sign a separate sales tax form which shows the amount of sales tax paid and we receive a copy of this form.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
It would behoove you to call the lender listed on the "loan agreement" you were provided and see if they have your title/paperwork onsite. In addition to the loan papers you should be provided what we call a "topsheet" which is the dealer to purchaser agreement. It lists dealer info, customer name address etc, trade in information if any, selling price of vehicle and all taxes, fees, dealer charges.

I am assuming you have not received your "payment book" or notification of payment due from lender?

Dealers that are having cash flow problems have been know to not turn in paperwork to lenders. They take the downpayment and use it to pay off immediate concerns. Not at all unusual for a dealer to take payment for an extended warranty and not ever turn in the paperwork to the warranty company. They pocket the money. You would be surprised how many warranties are never used and the owner never knows that they really never had one!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Not at all unusual for a dealer to take payment for an extended warranty and not ever turn in the paperwork to the warranty company. They pocket the money. You would be surprised how many warranties are never used and the owner never knows that they really never had one!
You better believe that! I had a dealer recently that supposedly transferred my KLR's warranty, when I bought it from the original owner. A gut feeling told be to check it out, and sure as heck, they didn't.
Lucky for me, I followed up with Kawasaki, so I could get the extended warranty, but as you said, there are some shady dealerships operating out there.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It may be different for motorcycles (I doubt it) but I just checked my paperwork from when I bought a Tundra and I was given a very detailed sales contract with every single penny of expense broken out.

And this vehicle was financed, the title held by Toyota Credit -- UNTIL YESTERDAY!!!:thumbup:

When I bought a new ATV here I was given a bill of sale, but it was a cash deal.

I would heed the advice of others and get thee back to the dealer to demand a sales contract or bill of sale, which he can easily create. If he continues to balk your next stop should be the DA's office. It defies common sense and good business practice that he should stonewall you.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles, but not the local office that issues drivers licenses. The DMV also licenses motor vehicle dealers. Try one of their investigations offices, DMV Investigations Offices Locations and Hours, and if that isn't the right section of the DMV, ask them where to find help to get your itemized invoice. Be sure to ask exactly what paperwork the dealer is required by law to give you.

Also contact the California State Board of Equalization and ask if a business is required to give the customer a receipt showing that they paid the sales tax and the amount of tax paid. http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/sutprograms.htm

Separately, contact American Suzuki with your dealer complaint. Suzuki Cycles - Contact

·
Registered
52 Posts
I received an itemized bill of sale with my 2011 about a month ago from a dealer in Los Angeles. That should be standard operating procedure for the dealer. Where did you buy it? BTW, fellow Tustin Wee owner here, maybe we should start a club! lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
socaltrailrider, we at least need to ride together.

I have received payment coupons from lender (I used the Suzuki 0% through Sheffield Financial). I negotiated the OTD price which was below MSRP).

I think I need to give the dealer another opportunity in person to get me a bill of sale.

Richw, in California I believe the lienholder keeps the title and I get a registration that shows the lienholder. I get the title which shows lienholder name but also lienholder signature when paid off. When I take that to DMV I get clean title mailed to me.

doug44, you haven't dealt with CA DMV. Illinois' is great. Used to live there. Love that used vehicles only incur $45 transfer fee. Here in CA, there is a use tax (7.75%-9.25%) paid every time a vehicle is sold. Sickening the revenue that generates.

PTRider, good info. Thank you. If I don't get satisfactory response from dealer will utilize that info.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hey Mrmax9/Derek, I'm in Orange County too. Which dealer is this? You can PM me if you'd rather not say it in the forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mr max

you should have received a copy of every paper you signed odometer statement,reciept weth a detaled list price of bike,freight,set up fees,dealer doc fees,down paymnt,accessories,sales tax,extended service plan,gap protection,tire guard protection,total amount financed,intrest rate,finance charge total amount financed amount financed for how many months bank name (G E MONEY) vin number and a we owe you slip which will entail any thing you were promised(oil change for instance)If you were not givin these at th time of sale something is wrong

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I stopped at the dealers today. I got all the information I needed/wanted from them in a system printed sheet. Not an official bill of sale but it does the trick for me.

I think he honestly believes he shouldn't/wouldn't produce such a thing when financed. He said I would have received such a thing if I had paid cash or written a check. He was indicating that it was a Suzuki thing that I didn't receive it and thought the company financing might send me such documents.

He's also looking into the saddlebags I purchased. The Suzuki rep was there so he was going to turn up the heat and call me back within two days.

I'm leaving this at strange.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No paperwork, no check. This has always been my policy when buying vehicles when I am paying cash (most of the time) or when borrowing money to buy (rarely). I hold the check until the dealer provides any and everything I want with the purchase. If they have to order anything, I make sure it is listed on the transaction so they cannot later deny that they are going to provide it. It is amazing what you can get a dealer to do when you hold the check out in front of them and tell them that you will buy if they only will do these few small things for you. It just kills them but they really do want that money. I just bought a one year old car that was listed at $14,999 for $13,004 (book on the car was $14,750) and they had to kick in several things like a new key fob and a air pressure sensor that was reading a little low before I would write the check. They told me how I was stealing the food from the mouths of their children but they took my check in the end.

I buy my motorcycles the same way. The only bike I have ever paid anywhere near book on was the bike I bought from my own son, I gave him book on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts