StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the dealership did not fill the coolant reservoir to the full line, So I am going to fill it but I wanted to see if it is possible to fill it without lifting the gas tank.

In the event I do lift the gas tank is there anything I should inspect or do while its up?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used a funnel with a long, flexible tube. Sure a lot easier than lifting the tank. If you do lift the tank, consider changing your plugs if it has been a lot of miles. I changed mine twice in the 41,000 miles it has gone. Nothing much to do other than that unless you remove your tank. Then you could check (maybe change) your air filter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a funnel with a long, flexible tube. Sure a lot easier than lifting the tank. If you do lift the tank, consider changing your plugs if it has been a lot of miles. I changed mine twice in the 41,000 miles it has gone. Nothing much to do other than that unless you remove your tank. Then you could check (maybe change) your air filter.
Yeah not many miles only 2000 so far, so checking the plugs would kind of be overkill, I will wait to check air filter and stuff around 6-8k.

Now with the long flexible tube where do you fill it from? isn't the reservoir cap under the gas tank? or do you fill it from the radiator cap under the front fairing?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Different bikes have different places for the reservoir. If you have this type, you can't even get the cap off without lifting the tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different bikes have different places for the reservoir. If you have this type, you can't even get the cap off without lifting the tank.

yeah, i think that is how mine is, i guess i will find out tommorow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have small hands, you can slide the clip down the hose with needle nose pliers and carefully wiggle the hose off the radiator pipe (it's fragile). Put a wet rag under it to catch any fluid that drips. Then use 6 or so foot vinyl hose from HomeCheapo to siphon in or out fluid from the reservior. If you're changing the coolant fluid, blow in the hose first to stir up all the crud that forms in the bottom of the tank, before you siphon it out. Use the siphon hose to refill the radiator also.

Jim

DL rad cap.jpg

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
You don't need to add coolant if the level is above the lower mark. It doesn't have to be all the way to the full line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I need to add some coolant to my new-to-me 2008 DL650. I see the reservoir under the rear of the tank. How much of the body panels do I need to remove to lift the tank up so I can and coolant? Thanks

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
On my 2014 650 I can take a couple screws out of the rear tank mount and the coolant tank comes loose and it will move rearward enough to put coolant in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
On the Wee, take off the seat, the black side trim that mades contact with the seat, the side panels and the linking trim on top in front of the fuel tank. Loosen the single bolt at the rear of the tank and the pivot bolts on the front of the tank. Raise the rear of the tank and support it with the bracket as per instruction in your user manual or see youtube videos on the tank removal (//youtu.be/wLlZBCHvq3o). You don't have to remove the tank completely. There should be enough clearance for you to refill the overflow bottle. See Adding coolant to a DL650K7

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
First I would question why you want/ need to add coolant? If the level is low, but still some coolant in the reservoir, I would just watch whats going on. You need to add coolant only if you keep loosing it somewhere and that should be the immediate focus. Are you dripping coolant out of the circulation pump drain hose? Or are there any coolant hose clamps just a little loose (not uncommon) so tightening them will stop the losses?

Best to combine messing with the coolant when you need to do other maintenance like changing the air filter, spark plugs, valve check ... etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I need to add some coolant to my new-to-me 2008 DL650. I see the reservoir under the rear of the tank. How much of the body panels do I need to remove to lift the tank up so I can and coolant? Thanks
Go on Utube and type in Doctor Vstrom. He will tell you how to do it. You have got to take the tank off. Not that hard if you check his videos out. pro tip. Make sure your tank is nearly empty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go on Utube and type in Doctor Vstrom. He will tell you how to do it. You have got to take the tank off. Not that hard if you check his videos out. pro tip. Make sure your tank is nearly empty.
You don't have to actually remove the tank just lift it up at the back. Doctor Vstrom will show you how on u tube

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that the dealership did not fill the coolant reservoir to the full line, So I am going to fill it but I wanted to see if it is possible to fill it without lifting the gas tank.

In the event I do lift the gas tank is there anything I should inspect or do while its up?
Yes you do need to lift the back of the tank to top up your reservoir. You may want to change your air filter. Need to take tank right off to do that. helps if it is near empty. Not a hard job. Check out U tube, Doctor Vstrom. He will show you how to remove and replace tank.. I have done mine and I am an idiot.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I just did a coolant change on a friends Wee,

I did not remove any body panels, I undid the the rear tank bolt then unbolted the coolant bottle.

I moved the bottle to the rear and to the right, filled the system and bolted it back in place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had to top up my coolant, and to tip the tank on a 2015 is a pain, all the plastics to be loosened or removed. I was able to get the plug off using long needle nose pliers and my fingers. i used some flexible tygon tubing and a syringe to top it up. to put the plug on, bite the tongue, cross an eye, and using hands on both sides could get the plug in place and used needle nose pliers to push it back into place. it is possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts