StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed an increasing tendency to look at thread, think about a reply of some sort another (and maybe even start to formulate one), and then just say "why bother" and never post it?

And posting this in spank almost guarantees a few "so why did you bother" responses, but what the hell.

I don't know if it's a change in the mentality of the forum in general, that we are attracting an increasing number of people that inspire a "huh? are you f-ing kidding me?" reaction, or if the management of the site has taken away a lot of the energy that we once had. It seems like a lot of the people that contributed a lot to the dynamic of the site have left or post very rarely anymore. I see more of these people during our Labor Day rally and its planning than the rest of the year combined.

Do I plan to stick around? Probably, but like others have said - the lights are getting dim, and the halls are feeling pretty empty.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
It sure as hell ain't as feisty as it used to be.

Yah, I've deleted a few messages before posting, thinking "why bother"...

This place has change mightily over the years.

Not much fun anymore.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
All forums have changed and most are now struggling. The day of the Internet forum was short and fun but it's now largely over as far as mass appeal is concerned. Many blame Facebook but I think that is only one issue not the entire problem. People move on and the forum scene was exciting for many a few years ago and was probably their first real chance to interact with others on the Internet but times change, attitudes and expectations change and the scene as a whole changes that's just the way us humans do things. If you look at massive forums like ADVRider or DPReview you will see that there has been a huge decline in participation on those sites as well. Even Flickr the photo hosting site owned by Yahoo which has an associated forum has had a noticeable decrease in forum posts while at the same time increasing the numbers of photos it hosts.

In the case of this particular forum Suzuki haven't exactly helped by supplying the same bikes largely unchanged for the last five or so years. How many time can you have a discussion about whether a white Wee is better than a Red Wee?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
In the case of this particular forum Suzuki haven't exactly helped by supplying the same bikes largely unchanged for the last five or so years. How many time can you have a discussion about whether a white Wee is better than a Red Wee?
Or types of tires, oil, seats, windscreens, crashbars, luggage, etc.

Also, people's interests change too. Maybe they have sold their V-Strom, and have purchased another bike. Or, they have turned their interests to doing other things.

The latter sentence is what is true for me. I am scratch building an airplane in my garage. Interestingly, I am not using any support forums during my attempt at doing this. I am writing my own blog about the journey, but it is "low profile" stuff just to document the steps for my own sake.

B.L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just joined about a month ago and did my little intro and not the first person replied......that's ok, I just thought someone would say something. I have gotten a lot of useful information from some of the forums and have enjoyed the farkle ideas and pics, but not quite as hopping as I thought it would be......

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I just joined about a month ago and did my little intro and not the first person replied......that's ok, I just thought someone would say something. I have gotten a lot of useful information from some of the forums and have enjoyed the farkle ideas and pics, but not quite as hopping as I thought it would be......
I don't get to spend much time here anymore and most of that time is spent down here in the pit.

Even though it's late....it is sincere. Welcome to the land of excitement.

YYaaawwwnnnn.

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
I started to write a response to this, but figured, "aw screw it", and didn't bother.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Has anyone else noticed an increasing tendency to look at thread, think about a reply of some sort another (and maybe even start to formulate one), and then just say "why bother" and never post it?
Did that a few times. Start writing a response, stop, ask myself do I really give a shit? hit the back button, move on.

I was fortunately enough to be around when Trooper had a real spark of life to it. Met a lot of new friends here, both virtual and in person. It's been a very positive site for me over the years. I'm disappointed to see how it has changed, but I still keep a tab open to Trooper and check in routinely. Too many old friends that only exist in this world.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Original question -- yeah, it happens. Why bother? Who gives a $hit?

But... I was away for a few days, celebrating my birthday. Didn't take a computer with me. Didn't look at a computer or the Internet, closer than receiving weather reports on my cell.

Now I'm back and the place looks pretty good after time off. I'll only read some of the "new" posts, but...

FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT.

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOG AND A FOX IS ABOUT FIVE BEERS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe some folks have been too busy RIDING to post??

I know I tend to be on the forum more when I am deployed with nothing better to do...when I'm home I RIDE!! Of course living in FL helps alot with the long riding season :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I use the forum for research. There are so many experts on here that I really don't have a reason or need to post usually. I have given a few comments here and there. Regardless, this site is great repository of knowledge. The one time I felt a little put off was when I went to post my Vee to sell. Well, even thought I had been a member for about a year and actually paid the 20 bucks my ad was promptly stripped due to the fact I had not posted enough. Well, I increased my posts - some more sincere than others - in order to hit the 20 mark, but I have not re-posted my bike being for sale. Odd...

Anyway, just take what you can - but don't take it personally.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I'm still keen.

I have enjoyed the company of some of the above posters,
and they have indicated I am welcome to ride with them again.
I cherish the experiences this forum has brought me,
and I contribute the occasional jocular, cordial, or informative message.

I plan to keep on doing this, because the experience is rewarding.

At another forum, where I feel less welcome,
my experiences are along this line:

Somebody clumsily asks a question:
hey dood how do you thread a needle eh?????​

I explain the technique that has worked for me for six decades:
Go where the light is good, moisten the thread,
and slowly advance it toward the hole; when just a little
thread has poked through, grasp the protruding bit and tug.​

Somebody still in diapers explains where I have erred:
yer fullacrap you have to fill in a goverment form and
buy a perrmit and get six sigatyures and then standin line
and get yer forum stamped and wait until mrs Murphy sez you can.​

(yawn) I do not participate much there. If I have met anyone from
that forum, it is probably because I have met that person here first,
and V-Tom perhaps nods if he reads this.

So, we are among stars. If we sometimes bask more than we shine,
that is what stars do. Betelgeuse is bright in the northern night sky
just now, and it pulsates in a fashion that would be spectacular to
us if we were within twenty light years of it!

Like the sun, I plan to shine for a few more years yet.
Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I have enjoyed the company of some of the above posters,
and they have indicated I am welcome to ride with them again.
I cherish the experiences this forum has brought me,
and I contribute the occasional jocular, cordial, or informative message.

I plan to keep on doing this, because the experience is rewarding.

At another forum, where I feel less welcome,
my experiences are along this line:

Somebody clumsily asks a question:
hey dood how do you thread a needle eh?????​

I explain the technique that has worked for me for six decades:
Go where the light is good, moisten the thread,
and slowly advance it toward the hole; when just a little
thread has poked through, grasp the protruding bit and tug.​

Somebody still in diapers explains where I have erred:
yer fullacrap you have to fill in a goverment form and
buy a perrmit and get six sigatyures and then standin line
and get yer forum stamped and wait until mrs Murphy sez you can.​

(yawn) I do not participate much there. If I have met anyone from
that forum, it is probably because I have met that person here first,
and V-Tom perhaps nods if he reads this.

So, we are among stars. If we sometimes bask more than we shine,
that is what stars do. Betelgeuse is bright in the northern night sky
just now, and it pulsates in a fashion that would be spectacular to
us if we were within twenty light years of it!

Like the sun, I plan to shine for a few more years yet.
Keith
Keith,
I see your light shining all the way up here in Maine. You are one of the brightest stars in our forum galaxy. Thank you for ALL of your contributions.

(Hey, want to see my airplane that I am building? Go here: Sonex #1504 | "Scratching" My Way Into The Sky!. I just passed the 1,100 "views" mark today!)

Happy New Year My Friend! My resolution for 2012 is to finally meet you in person!

Barry

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
It's a deal, but not yet a date.

Keith,
I see your light shining all the way up here in Maine. You are one of the brightest stars in our forum galaxy. Thank you for ALL of your contributions.

(Hey, want to see my airplane that I am building? Go here: Sonex #1504 | "Scratching" My Way Into The Sky!. I just passed the 1,100 "views" mark today!)

Happy New Year My Friend! My resolution for 2012 is to finally meet you in person!

Barry
Thank you, my distant friend.
I have the same resolution.
And so it shall come to pass.

I will very likely be in Ontario for about two months of 2012.
A motorcycle will be with me, but its size is unknown.
Whatever it is, it will convey me to a place of meeting.

See you soon.
Keith

So, you see, this forum has many purposes,
and very different people find common ground here.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Right now, I'm in the I wish I hadn't posted category. If it didn't just snow and put me back in the winter doldrums, I'd take a few days off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts