StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite twisty bit of road was just repaved. The beautiful smooth pavement looks inviting but I can't get past the thought that it is now slippery.

So what is the collective wisdom?

Fresh pavement slippery or not?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Fresh pavement is the grippiest. The tiny edges (pips) in the surface haven't worn smooth yet. Make sure there isn't any loose gravel.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Fresh pavement is the grippiest. The tiny edges (pips) in the surface haven't worn smooth yet. Make sure there isn't any loose gravel.
Not to be confused with fresh oil on pavement, which is how lots of roads are refurbished. That, and tar snakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Many moons ago I had a track day at the national motor sports centre. The main buzz about the timing of visit was that it had been recently re-surfaced...but would have time to 'weather' in nicely.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No need to assume that it's going to be slippery (or great, either).

Treat it like you would any surface change. If it looks different than what you've been on, slow down a little, test it out, and decide from there.

.........shu

·
Registered
274 Posts
No need to assume that it's going to be slippery (or great, either).

Treat it like you would any surface change. If it looks different than what you've been on, slow down a little, test it out, and decide from there.

.........shu
An alternative school of thought is that if you go All The Gear... you might as well use it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My experience with new asphalt, great in calif. sucks in latin america, the mix isn't consent, a little more tar in the mix and it's like a big tar snake, keeps you on your toes, :yikes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
From the online dictionary:

as·phalt
ˈasfôlt/Submit
noun
a mixture of dark bituminous pitch with sand or gravel, used for surfacing roads, flooring, roofing, etc.

The ratio of sand/gravel is a variable, even the type of gravel is a variable, depending upon which part of the country/or which country you live in. So all asphalt is not created equal. This also explains the widely varied mileage on a set of the same tires in various parts of the country.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But a newly paved road does feel goooooood. My experience is one of more consistency and better grip. Yours may be different. Start easy and work up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends on how much bite the pavement gives to the tires.

Some newly paved roads are as smooth as glass and cannot be pushed, especially since the oil hasn't washed away.
Some newly paved roads are rather rough and the tires can bite into the edges of the rocks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
As others have mentioned, it really depends on the asphalt mix. If it's done right, my experience is that fresh pavement, even un-weathered, is quite grippy enough.

But if the mix is screwed up, with too much asphalt, the surface can be very shiny and slippery. This shouldn't happen if inspectors are paying attention, because it's not the proper paving job that the municipality/province/state/whatever is paying for. I had a friend who ran (was the operator for) an asphalt plant. Quite different mixes for different purposes. They had a special mix they used for race tracks, actually.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Watch out on Turkish paved roads! They look good, but if they're hot, (or wet).....

.............shu

·
Registered
158 Posts
My favorite twisty bit of road was just repaved. The beautiful smooth pavement looks inviting but I can't get past the thought that it is now slippery.

So what is the collective wisdom?

Fresh pavement slippery or not?
Thank you for asking this. I used to think that fresh was the best, but in the past 18 months I started to see the oilyness rather than the grippyness.

I like the answers that encourage both you and me to speed up!

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I was on a freshly paved section of of #20 between Colville and Tiger. It was raining. I could easily spin the rear tire, in 5th gear, with my ST1300. No explanation other than a lot of oil, from the new layer, must have floated to the surface. Spooky.

So, my 2 cents....be careful if it is wet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fresh pavement is oily. But there is fresh crushed stone poking through. On one route through the mountains to Vanvouver last summer the right half of the lane was an oily mess for weeks. Stop and have a look at your tires, if they are picking up oil, ride like they are brand new tires you are scuffing in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts